4g

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
4G keyword did not take in messages search so I added this thread. The posts that I've read regarding cellphone service in DR have referred to 2G and 3G. Should I infer that 4G does not exist? If so, will my 4G phone work in the existing 3G environments?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I get 4G all the time.
4G speed of about 3.5 MB/S down and 1.2 MB/S up in a perfect spot standing next to cell tower but if I move I get very spotty service.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
There is a tower @ an elevation very near to my land that I have questions about. Are these towers proprietary? That is, are they owned by specific network providers and so limit users that use a competing network? Do the proximity of these towers enhance Internet wireless connectivity on a computer? On your cellphone?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Towers are usually proprietary. In some cases two or more carriers share one tower, but this is unusual and mostly happens only in very remote areas. Wireless signal strength depends on proximity, the closer you are the better the service will be. Of course, being unreasonably close to one of this antennas is not good for health, as the amount of radiation could be too high, but carriers usually take this into account when picking the location and height of the tower.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Towers are usually proprietary. In some cases two or more carriers share one tower, but this is unusual and mostly happens only in very remote areas. Wireless signal strength depends on proximity, the closer you are the better the service will be. Of course, being unreasonably close to one of this antennas is not good for health, as the amount of radiation could be too high, but carriers usually take this into account when picking the location and height of the tower.

What distance is "unreasonably close"?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
You do remember where we live, right ?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What distance is "unreasonably close"?

Well, a few years ago we were doing some early testing of the new GSM network of a carrier that used to be CDMA only. We had to test some components and we needed to have a cell up and running for that so we could make test calls...inside an office. It was a small test antenna, but still Ericsson engineers would not allow anyone inside the office for periods longer than 15-20 min. That's unreasonably close, a few feet from the antenna. In a real world escenario, it would be like having an antenna right next to a window, or on top of a roof unless it is on a tower at least 20 or 30 feet high.