Moto License in DR

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Maybe a dumb question but, are motorcyclists licensed in DR (I find it hard to believe they are)? My wife and I are taking motorcycle driving lessons here in the US and have to decide whether to license in the US or in the DR. Does getting a motorcycle license in the states translate into automatic licensing in the DR?

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes you will eventually need a DR license, but your US one will do for a while. You will also need to register and license and insure your motor bike. I don't believe it is automatic. I think you need to take a written test but do not to take a driving test. Get your US license and then you can worry about the one in the DR after you have gotten settled.

LTSTeve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes you will eventually need a DR license, but your US one will do for a while. You will also need to register and license and insure your motor bike. I don't believe it is automatic. I think you need to take a written test but do not to take a driving test. Get your US license and then you can worry about the one in the DR after you have gotten settled.

LTSTeve

you mean to tell me that these motoconcho drivers have a license, AND insurance? really?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
a motorbike what??? for goodness sakes, u dont need a driving license to buy and insure a car here......

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I assume you are a Gringo. In that case, unless you want the police to take your bike because you have not registered it than I personally would not risk it. I would not worry about about the DR license. You can use your US one. I have seen police take bikes away from locals who do not have the current stickers on their bikes. Additional if you cause an accident and don't have insurance than you can kiss your sweet _ss goodbye. Go ahead make my day.

LTSteve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am not talking about the drivers license. I am talking about registering the bike and getting insurance. If you don't do those two things you are looking for trouble. If the bike is stolen you will have absolutely no recourse.

LTSteve