honesty with immigration

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
OK kidz... here's one for ya'. Thanks to the recent thread on "what do you miss", I've been daydreaming about my eventual "snowbird" status. When I FINALLY get to the point where I can spend extended time in the D.R. (few months maybe), how do I fill out my immigration form when arriving??? Do I lie and say 30 days??? (and make up a return flight)? OR do I just say 90 days or whatever? No, I don't think legal residency is in my near future, and yes, I know you just pay your "over stay" tax/fee. But you have to GET IN to be able to stay... right? I don't want an over zealous Immigration officer kicking my ass back to the jet for immediate return home.

How do the current "snow birds" do it???

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I m not to sure what u mean, but I come for 6 months spells and just fill in the form truthfully, pay the fine as I leave ( 800pesos if I remember rightly). I cant imaging anyone actually reads or keeps for that matter the immigration forms. But I ll be sur to read the post to inform myself, Im leaving next week to apply for visa in order to get resendency, will let u know how that goes ( if they dont detain me at the airport).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No one reads it anyway.

That's what we figure. But just in case, Mr. AE always fills changes the address just a bit, reverses some numbers, so that no one knows where we actually are. Why? He's heard enough stories about people leaving the airport and reaching their homes, or family's homes, and are met with gun wielding thieves. He says he thinks the guy who collects those forms might choose some travelers and make a call to give an address.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
That's why I give my office address instead of my home address! Much safer that way.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
good ideas!!!! I think I'll just use the name of the condo complex... not my unit number from now on.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My address does not exist and not even in the city I live in. Has been good for well over a decade, no need to change it now. :D

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For the LONGEST time, we just put down the Hotel Hispaniola for an address :classic:

Then they closed. We could just choose a different hotel name, haha

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Been a long time since I've dealt with this (about 4 years). I'm a full citizen now, cedula and all. Though, I'm still wondering if it was worth it. Before I got my citizenship I lied. I always said 2 weeks or 30 days. Many of my expat friends who are "snowbirds" do it the same way. I don't know anyone who actually tried to tell the truth so I can't say what would happen if you put the real amount on it. I think saying 30 days or less is probably your best bet. And any hotel name would do.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Been a long time since I've dealt with this (about 4 years). I'm a full citizen now, cedula and all. Though, I'm still wondering if it was worth it. Before I got my citizenship I lied. I always said 2 weeks or 30 days. Many of my expat friends who are "snowbirds" do it the same way. I don't know anyone who actually tried to tell the truth so I can't say what would happen if you put the real amount on it. I think saying 30 days or less is probably your best bet. And any hotel name would do.

I am not making a moral judgement, but would advise against this as it constitutes 'lying' to the govt and if found out can cause you all sorts of problems.. in the unlikely event that they do check. I've never heard about the aduana checking this, but one never knows.

What I do is omit any fields that should be filled with 'incriminating evidence', like duration of stay, and I am vague about my whereabouts (again an honest spelling mistake).

This way there is no out-an-out lying and I can have plausible denialibility.. plus I've heard the same stories and don't like the possibility that AE alluded to

I believe this to be the best way to go.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
do all u guys think it matters? I ve never lied, on my 5 trips. always put real duration( 3or 4 months/ 6 for this one), have always put my real home address in dr. never had a problem, never even think about it, just guessed it was all an excuse to get my 10 dollars as I arrive and 800 pesos when I leave....
As for criminals getting my address, I cant see them travelling 500 km to jack me ( but u never know), I always get someone to drive my car to airport with my creditcard in it...( u know opens every door as the ad says)....

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
That's what we figure. But just in case, Mr. AE always fills changes the address just a bit, reverses some numbers, so that no one knows where we actually are. Why? He's heard enough stories about people leaving the airport and reaching their homes, or family's homes, and are met with gun wielding thieves. He says he thinks the guy who collects those forms might choose some travelers and make a call to give an address.

Put down the address of the Presidential Palace..............
Then listen to the news that night.............

B in Santiago with no address, I live in a park

Last edited:

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I put the name of the hotel on the immigration form only. Not to be dishonest, but because I truly didn't know the address. I knew how to get there using GPS.

But why would DR customs want to know?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When you fill out the form put your real info on it just incase you are in a bar fight, stabbed to death, no ID and the only info that they have on you is when you entered the country. Only kidding. I have always put the correct info and you pay the fine when existing the country. Not a big deal.

LTSteve

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
all good points. bottom line... like most have said... it really doesn't matter. I'll decide when the time comes.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Are you sure he's not Sicilian? :laugh: