Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is a good language to learn in the DR?

I will be moving to San Pedro de Macoris next week and was thinking about trying to learn a new language in the 4 years or so that I will be there. Spanish is my first language and my English is pretty good. I was thinking about either Portuguese, Italian or French.

I will be working in the health area afterwards (in the US), most probably with underserved populations, maybe Haitian Creole would be a better choice? Is it very similar to French?

Is there a population of any of those nationatilities in the San Pedro area?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a good language to learn in the DR? That's easy: "Hillbilly Spanish."

Frank

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you know spanish, choose italian or portuguese, very easy to learn, alot of similarities.

4. Likes AnnaC liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Kreol so you can communicate with all of the Haitians.

6. Likes Major448 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

French and Creole

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Chinese

9. Likes CaptnGlenn, Celt202 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo Tropical View Post
    French and Creole
    AND .... yes they are different languages. I would do Creole first (just me), given what you say you want to do with it.

(One place to start ..... Haitian Creole Phase 1, Units 1-30: Pimsleur Haitian Creole Language Programs )

11. Likes Gitana- liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-1Ripm6RuDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>..................

Just a thought...........

Super Moderator DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    What is a good language to learn in the DR? That's easy: "Hillbilly Spanish."

Frank
    LOL

I already understand "Hillbilly Spanish", "Dominican" and "Mexican" and I am NOT interested in speaking them!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    Maybe Kreol so you can communicate with all of the Haitians.
    I'm leaning more towards this. Creole (Kreyol?) is probably a more practical choice even if I love the sounds of Italian and Portuguese. There is a growing population of Haitians in Central Florida so I would also be able to use it when I come back.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gitana- View Post
    I will be moving to San Pedro de Macoris next week and was thinking about trying to learn a new language in the 4 years or so that I will be there. Spanish is my first language and my English is pretty good. I was thinking about either Portuguese, Italian or French.

I will be working in the health area afterwards (in the US), most probably with underserved populations, maybe Haitian Creole would be a better choice? Is it very similar to French?

Is there a population of any of those nationatilities in the San Pedro area?
    I would learn French, not kreyole, because Haitians also speak French as Kreyole was derived from French. Also when you return to the US, it could also be useful with other communities such as Francophone Africans. It will also be easier to practice, to find newspaper, TV.

Lastly, French will be a little more challenging than either Italian and French, if that s what you are looking for.

Learning kreyole before French makes little sense IMHO, it is like learning Jamaican Patois before English.
    Last edited by Africaida; 04-18-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast