International operator

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Does anyone know the number for the international operator dialed from a dominican mobile phone. Preferably a no charge number. The reason being I recently spent a fair amount of money getting through to a credit card company and my bank in England. And they tell me that they will accept reverse charge calls via the international operator. The Claro operator could not help.
Thanks

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Does anyone know the number for the international operator dialed from a dominican mobile phone. Preferably a no charge number. The reason being I recently spent a fair amount of money getting through to a credit card company and my bank in England. And they tell me that they will accept reverse charge calls via the international operator. The Claro operator could not help.
Thanks
To call a United Kingdom landline or mobile phone from Dominican Republic, dial 011 44, then the UK number without its leading zero.

For example, the UK number 01632 312829 should be dialled as 011 44 1632 312829 from Dominican Republic.

How to phone Dominican Republic from the UK | Area-Codes.org.uk

JUST NOTICED OPERATOR MAYBE 01144100 ?

les1

Feb 1, 2007
That's correct INTERNATIONAL OPERATOR is the one I want. I assume based in DR when calling from DR.
Thanks

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Before I had my Magic Jack I had to call my bank once, and they accept collect calls. I think I just called the Codetel/Claro operator and said that I wanted to place a collect call. The international operator, in this case, is the Claro operator.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think there is an "international operator"...that is so 80's.
Anyway if you can get an operator on the line, you would ask for "cobro revertido".

There is no BT collect call access number from the DR Calling cards from BT - Card options

But VOIP is so cheap ... I mean it's almost free to call UK!!! I don't understand how you could have spent " fair amount of money" ... my VOIP rate to UK is about one half of U.S. cent per minute, billed in 1 second increments. Or in other words, with one dollar (40 pesos) I can call 200 minutes to the UK. It's virtually free...!

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I have to confess ignorance of VOIP but now know a bit having googled it. Can I use a smart phone in a WiFi hot spot and can anyone recommend a provider.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I have to confess ignorance of VOIP but now know a bit having googled it. Can I use a smart phone in a WiFi hot spot and can anyone recommend a provider.

I use 2 companies for VOIP, both give me free calls to the UK, one gives me free calls to Asia and the US for mobiles and landline telephones. there names are SMS Listo and VOIPCheap.com. Depending on where you want to call, there are different operators supplying the services. One of the reseller companies ( you can buy credit for other call locations) list the names and areas served by the service providers.

I buy 10 euros and I get 3 months of free calls to the areas provided. Then I use the credit I bought and buy some more. Hope this makes sense ! :pirate:

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I am amused that the OLD days is now the 1980?s. For me the old days is the 1950?s. maybe 1960?s.

When I am in DR I use my Vonage device.

DS

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I am amused that the OLD days is now the 1980?s. For me the old days is the 1950?s. maybe 1960?s.

When I am in DR I use my Vonage device.

DS
You'll have to forgive my total ignorance but I have the following questions:
1. Can use a smart phone with Claro top up
2. Can use a smart phone in a WiFi hot spot
3. How do you buy the minutes - web site, a top up card?
4. Can I buy it in DR

Les

Feb 7, 2007
Les1, you must look for a provider that offers an "app" for your smart phone.

VOIP providers can be placed in the following categories:
- Computer Only (e.g. a mentioned VOIPcheap.com) - you must install an app on your computer and use a headset
- ATA device & Computer - you must use your own ATA (analogue telephone adapter) that connects between the Internet and your regular telephone (it's like a converter box) + you can use the service on a computer using any freely downloadable VOIP software.
- Proprietory ATA only - you must use ATA offered by the service provider - e.g. Vonage, Lingo, Magicjack, and several others
- Wholesale - you must use a dedicated IP and prefix authentication. This is service offered to telecom carriers and phonecard providers. E.g. voxbeam.com

At the beginning of VOIP, computer-software with headset was the standard. Now the standard has shifted, and the most commonly used providers among people are those offering service via ATA. You usually are issued a SIP username and password to authenticate. So you can use the service from any VOIP device (ATA). These providers also offer service from softphones (software that you install on the computer and use headset) where you enter the issed SIP username and password so you can use the service when you travel from your laptop, etc. In recent two years, with the proliferation of the smartphones, these providers started to offer "apps" for smartphones. Most common apps are for Iphone and Android, not so many for Symbian or Blackberry. Again, these "apps" work with SIP username and password for your account, so you enter those after you install the app, and you are ready to go.

One of such providers is VOICEBUY.com which I use. They have great rates, 3 routes (standard, premium, and super premium), and offer mobile VOIP for all major smartphone types. Voicebuy Mobile Dialer & Mobile VoIP Solutions | Voicebuy VoIP Provider

Minimum topup is 25 dollars, but there is no minimum to use per month. You can sign up form the DR, and use a DR or international debit or credit card (debit card must be enabled for Internet transactions). You can also use PayPal. Credit card payments are routed through Moneybookers (Skrill) or PayPal.

One more word of advise - use only where good Internet coverage is available. While it may be tempting to use from 3G data network of wireless carrier (Orange, Claro) the quality will not be so good, and spotty at best. So use WIFI fixed Internet coverage (Wifi connected to DSL, for example).

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Thanks Rubio.
I don't have a house wired telephone just a mobile with a Claro sim which I top up. Wiil an app downloaded to the phone work
1. On my phone?
2. in a good WiFi hotspot?

Feb 7, 2007
You can try first, set up an account and email them for maybe 10 - 15 cents credit - enough for you to make couple of phone calls to the UK. Explain them your situation and tell them you want to test if the service will work from a Wifi hotspot. Then download the app, setup the account, go to wifi hotspot, launch the app and make a call (dial 44xxxxx).

I used the service fine through a wifi hotspot connected to Cable Internet in Europe (50 mbps connection) through an older Nokia XpressMusic with the app - so when I go for Xmas to Europe I just take this older Nokia with me and I don't have to haul the ATA adapters with all the cables etc. with me in order to use my VOIP service and stay in touch with people while there.