Puerto Plata Playa Dorada Golf Course to host Golf Channel?s Latin American Cup

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Great for them but I sure hope they get their greens under control, they are really inconsistent with speed right now.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is the golf course in a good shape? it's been a long time i went to playa dorada...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
That will be a shot in the arm for Puerta Plata. Now Minister of Tourism needs to take advantage of this event in targetting golfers from North American. A picture is worth a 1000 words. This will hopefully show the better side of Playa Dorado.

LTSteve

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
is the golf course in a good shape? it's been a long time i went to playa dorada...

It's in decent shape right now but could be better in my opinion. The greens firmness and speed is really disparaging from one green to the next. The fairways could use just a little TLC and the bunkers all need taken out and new sand added in to make them even. Some holes have great sand and others are like hitting off hwy 5 (or Los Mangos greens). They should be able to have it really playable by next month. Unfortunate for us on the north coast that this is about the only decent golf course within an hours drive. Playa Grande will be under reconstruction for another 2 years or so and the drive to Santiago course is a little long. And forget about Los Mangos I have played better goat trail courses in the middle of the West Texas desert that had rattlesnakes and scorpions on it. I will keep my money in my pocket than rather play there, but to each their own.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Does hitting the feral animals roaming about the golf course affect one's handicap?

The entire complex reminded me of Dawn of the Dead the last time I drove through there.

That adds to the ambiance of making it more like a putt-putt golf course only lacking the wagon wheel and windmill to aim your putts through.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look, Playa Dorada is a Robert T. Jones course. That means it is very well designed in the first place.

The main issue has been maintenance, since play has dropped off and the hotels have been suffering. If there is no money, the course goes to pot.

The local Golf Club certainly cannot support the cost of maintenance. HOWEVER, if it can be kept up, it is a really good test of golf, with lots of risk-reward shots available (for those of you that know the course, think: Drive over the creek on 3, cut the corner on 4; over the hotel on 5; over the corner on 6 and over the water on 9. Then: bend it around the trees on 10; over the bunker on 12 (with the flag right?); over the palm trees on 13; over the canal on 14 and over the water on 18??? All have great rewards and terrible risks....Which makes for drama...

Let's hope that the course is in good shape and the players can show off their skills.

HB

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
They should have a high level tourney like this every month : the course is in the best shape it has been in years. Greens generally firm and fast (especially the front nine). Workers everywhere. And it shows. Now if only they had rakes ( especially on the holes where the new signs are requesting you " please rake" ). But cudos, for sure. Well done.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Wow! Congrats to Club de Golf. As others have said, hopefully this event will showcase the Playa Dorada area and will entice others to visit soon. POP and PD need a serious shot in the arm to revive the area.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
They should have a high level tourney like this every month : the course is in the best shape it has been in years. Greens generally firm and fast (especially the front nine). Workers everywhere. And it shows. Now if only they had rakes ( especially on the holes where the new signs are requesting you " please rake" ). But cudos, for sure. Well done.

Agreed. They have done a really good job of fixing up this course. Great job and lets hope it continues into the future...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RE: Playa Grande

I am told that all 18 holes will be open for play in December this year....... then the front nine will close for renovation for another year.

Seeding on the back nine will be done in May.... all new traps, greens , irrigation, drainage..... todo