US Transit Visa To Canada

hichek

Feb 28, 2013
Hello Everybody!

I'm a Dominican living in Calgary, AB, Canada. My wife just got her Canadian visa approved one week ago and is planning to visit me either in June or July. As you all know the best way to get to Canada from DR is through the states, especially if you are comming to Calgary.

I was wondering if anyone knows if its too difficult to obtain a US transit visa. I ask because when my wife was single she applied for a B1/B2 visitor US visa and got denied, and then after we got married she applied again and got denied.

The last thing we both want to do is spend and lose 160 dollars in a visa.

I just want to know that if people that apply for a transit visa normally get denied.

All comments welcome.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hello Everybody!

I'm a Dominican living in Calgary, AB, Canada. My wife just got her Canadian visa approved one week ago and is planning to visit me either in June or July. As you all know the best way to get to Canada from DR is through the states, especially if you are comming to Calgary.

I was wondering if anyone knows if its too difficult to obtain a US transit visa. I ask because when my wife was single she applied for a B1/B2 visitor US visa and got denied, and then after we got married she applied again and got denied.

I just want to know that if people that apply for a transit visa normally get denied.

All comments welcome.
Get a direct flight. Air Canada. Your only solution.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Check with west jet or air transat I'm pretty sure they allow first time flyers with a visa to use a charter. Arrive in Toronto where she will be processed and then on to Calgary.

Good luck

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Hello Everybody!

All comments welcome.

Both Eddy & Anna's advice are correct. & there are direct flights from the DR to Toronto

However, to me something smells a bit fishy here

" I am a Dominican living in Calgary"... do you have Approved Residency in Canada, and if so for how long have you had it??

& I ask because when my wife was single she applied for a B1/B2 visitor US visa and got denied, and then after we got married she applied again and got denied.

Yet you post:

My wife just got her Canadian visa approved one week ago and is planning to visit me either in June or July

I am slightly confused here, even AFTER you married your Dominican wife her application was refused, yet now you post she has been approved???

Seems to me that you moved to Canada by some sort of relationship with a Canadian lady that you met here in the DR and are now asking for our help to find any way possible to get your Dominican "Esposa" entry into Canada, by overcoming any immigration/entry laws in both the US and Canada.

"Transit visas/entry" into Canada, through any port of entry is tough, especially through all ports of entry through North America (which includes the Us & parts of Mexico these days)

My and others advice actually discounts your "wife" flying direct from the DR to Toronto.

The reason??? the supervisor on Border Control entry into Canada through Toronto, is a real tough old lady. She is a spinister, never been married, and can smell a "rat" from over the distance between the DR and Canada.

Good luck for trying to get your Dominican "Esposa" into Canada through the US

Please do NOT insult such great knowledgeable people like Eddy & Anna by using their advice

I am merely a DUH, but I just want you to answer one question from me;

If you loved your Dominican "Esposa" so much,,,, why did it take a couple of different ways for her applications to be refused, before you married her??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The fast answer is that as of a few years ago the US stopped issuing "Transit Visas"....
They no longer even exist.

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
IMO, the easiest way to get to Calgary is thru Montreal or Toronto.....

As suggested above, Air Canada and WestJet are the two regular carriers..... the charters may have more trouble connecting through to Calgary.
Both fly POP and AZS......

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I would check with US ICE again. The existence of a Canadian Visa changes things somewhat.
A Canadian visitors visa and an onward flight from the US In-Transit point to Canada should be all that is necessary.
That is does ICE have sufficient reason to believe your wife intends onward travel to Canada?

I do agree that WestJet is a good choice in an airline.

hichek

Feb 28, 2013
Hello Ladybird!

Jejeje... something fishy... let me give you a timeline of the events, but before let me answer your questions.

1. I'm in Canada on a work permit and I've been in canada since august 2012.

2. My wife applied for a US visitor visa back in 2010 (we have been dating for a year) and she was denied (no reason - same as most people). (I was living in the DR at the time)

3. We got married in Dec 2011 (after being in a relationship for 2 years). Then in April 2012, we both went to the US embassy to get her a US visitor visa. Well, she was denied again. Reason: we have been married for less than 1 year.

4. On April the 2nd of this year she applied for a Canadian Visitor Visa, and received her visa on april 9. 1 year multiple entry visa.

We were thinking about getting a US transit visa, but based on your recommendations we decided to save 160 dollars and use that money on something else. Thanks!

For her travel plans she will flight westjet from PUJ to Toronto to Calgary.

You know what's really funny ladybird, her sister (my sister in-law) applied for a US visa in august 2012, and got denied. I told her, why Don't you apply for a Canadian visa and come to Canada in June/July? and she was like "i want to go to the usa, not Canada". I think most dominicans go crazy trying to get a US visa, and forget that there are other places to go, like Canada.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was recently asked to write a letter of recommendation for a Dominicana to visit Miami. She is certain that it is easier to get a visa to Miami than to New York. I have no problem writing these letters, I bet I have written a dozen over the years. I don't believe that any of them have ever "worked", but will continue to write them on request.
Der Fisj

It is my understanding that letters of recommendation do not carry any weight in the US Visitor's visa interview process.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Both Eddy & Anna's advice are correct. & there are direct flights from the DR to Toronto

" I am a Dominican living in Calgary"... do you have Approved Residency in Canada, and if so for how long have you had it??

& I ask because when my wife was single she applied for a B1/B2 visitor US visa and got denied, and then after we got married she applied again and got denied.

Yet you post:

My wife just got her Canadian visa approved one week ago and is planning to visit me either in June or July

I am slightly confused here, even AFTER you married your Dominican wife her application was refused, yet now you post she has been approved???

Seems to me that you moved to Canada by some sort of relationship with a Canadian lady that you met here in the DR and are now asking for our help to find any way possible to get your Dominican "Esposa" entry into Canada, by overcoming any immigration/entry laws in both the US and Canada.

"Transit visas/entry" into Canada, through any port of entry is tough, especially through all ports of entry through North America (which includes the Us & parts of Mexico these days)

My and others advice actually discounts your "wife" flying direct from the DR to Toronto.

The reason??? the supervisor on Border Control entry into Canada through Toronto, is a real tough old lady. She is a spinister, never been married, and can smell a "rat" from over the distance between the DR and Canada.

Please do NOT insult such great knowledgeable people like Eddy & Anna by using their advice

If you loved your Dominican "Esposa" so much,,,, why did it take a couple of different ways for her applications to be refused, before you married her??

Wow you never post and then this? I'm glad the OP has answered you but may I remind you or anyone else that in this forum we try our best to answer visa questions and NOT get personal. I'm a real biotch about this :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Yet you post:

Rather insulting post Ladybird
To the OP , you can possibly get a direct flight to Calgary on Sunwing or Air transalt. If you can't get a direct flight your wife, now that she has her Canadian Visa will most likely get a visa to travel though the USA. My mother-in-law did, in fact they gave her a 5 year tourist Visa.