Two Muchachos Killed Playing Dominos Buried Yesterday

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
There's a little banco just around the first bend, across from the shortcut to Las Terrenas, on Calle La Ceiba, where two well-liked young men were playing dominos on Friday night. A Haitian man, driving his employer's jeepeta, lost it on the curve--trying to make a reckless pass, I believe--and drove straight into the building, killing two men. One of the poles holding up the tin roof over the patio at the banco is missing. The death car--looks like it was brand new--is in the police impound. Everyone stops to look at it when they go past the police station. The police were out in force on the road for two nights, arresting anyone without papers and/or a cedula.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sad but not surprising. Most of the locals in LT got their driving skills from the ACME school of driving. How to drive using your horn to control the brakes in a directional signal optional vehicle.

LTSteve

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
I got an update. Only one of the domino players died. The other is in grave condition in Santiago. They are still pulling over and impounding vehicles on Calle La Ceiba. Saw two of my neighbors on pasolas thus ensnared.

Kind of want to find out what's happening to the deathmobile. Very nice jeepeta.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Obviously as you said the vehicle wasn't owned by the driver. Unless his documents are not in order, I would assume it would eventually returned to the owner.

LTSteve

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
One small update. The Haitian driver is in jail until someone pays a one million peso fine.

I think that means the price is of a life is around 25000 US.

You want the vehicle?
Is that what this is all about???

I'm sure someone with more juice than me has plans for it. There are cars in that impound that have been there for months.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Ive noticed in the Country that outside patios and some corner bars are set up that if a car lost control it would take out the patio.

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
Exactly right. It makes me want to close my eyes when I'm in the car or guagua with a driver who blows through Pueblos at 100 kph.

I once rode to Santo Domingo in a minor mafioso's Hummer. His wheelman drove so hard for two hours that the Hummer started to disintegrate--parts like the roof rack literally flew off the car and the AC compressor blew up. I was very happy that no one died. But, I've since learned, that if he did kill anyone it's likely that no one would have faced serious consequences for it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
One small update. The Haitian driver is in jail until someone pays a one million peso fine.
I think that means the price is of a life is around 25000 US.

that's about right. the government set the price a while ago. solves lots of legal problems, really. some people will never learn, not even after they kill someone. they get hit hard if they have to fork out the money, for them pocket is more vulnerable that conscience. others will suffer enough knowing they have caused death. for them prison would not help to get that weight off their shoulders...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
In LT I call it video game driving. Too many distractions and too many motos, but I always thought it was fun.

LTSteve

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see n distractions. as a passenger all i look at is asses. as a river all i see is assholes :)
my focus is entirely on the road and anything that may get in my way. i notice nothing else, really.

Mountaintrout

Feb 9, 2013
While I agree Dominicans are not the best drivers. Try driving in Jamaica and or in the USA (in areas of high Asian populations - these fcukers can't drive)

Very sad for these two young men.

Agreed. But if you drove 70mph in a 25mph in the U. S. you would most likely be locked up

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
Been in LT for 12 days, people drive like absolute idiots! Tough to understand.
The trick is to not get angry. Something like 95% of the pasola drivers have had no formal training of any kind. All they know is what they've seen. I'm assuming that the Haitian guy I originally posted about had no license or training as well. You can still see the Escalade in the impound.

Mountaintrout

Feb 9, 2013
The trick is to not get angry. Something like 95% of the pasola drivers have had no formal training of any kind. All they know is what they've seen. I'm assuming that the Haitian guy I originally posted about had no license or training as well. You can still see the Escalade in the impound.

Right on, no anger.

Had a great vacation and planning another one!

It just keeps making me wonder why everyone is going so fast to get to the other side of the island? What about island time?