ants

devdev

May 14, 2011
anyone else have an ant problem in their house??? ant traps aren't getting rid of them!~anyone know any "home remedy" type ant traps that have been used successfully???

May 5, 2007
anyone else have an ant problem in their house??? ant traps aren't getting rid of them!~anyone know any "home remedy" type ant traps that have been used successfully???

diatomaceous earth and or boric acid. Extremely cheap and effective. It doesn't kill ants immediately but keeps on working once they step in it by eroding their exoskeleton

I live in Florida and we have a huge ant problem, but spreading a mixture of diatomaceous earth and boric acid along the exterior walls (Inside the condo) has kept my unit free from all bugs including those lovely roaches (Must confess, had a small infestation of flour weevils a year or so ago but they came with the flour)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Ditto on the fumigation, once per trimester works for us. It's very inexpensive.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
fumigation stuff must be strong I havent had mine done for three years and still the bugs that land on the floor die

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I have also heard that ground nutmeg spread around will keep them away. Obviously the ground nutmeg goes inside the building along external walls and insure that all openings are caulked.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
War on ants

This is what I've done with succes over the years a couple of times with very persistent nests and when all other measures didn't work

1. Locate the nest and as many exits as you can find, by backtrailing any ants you see.
2. Buy flammable liquid that burns long and well (a gallon of BBQ ignition fluid should do it)
3. Wearing long sleeves and gloves; close off as many exits as you can find with plain packed earth, except the largest one you can find
4. Poke the remaining exit and open it up wide with a stick until ants start to congregate in numbers
5. Pour liquid down the exit, all of it in a steady pour, now wait 20 seconds so it soaks the nest and reaches the main chamber
6. Stand clear and light the liquid, then move away as you'll find the earth gets hot around the nest area.

The ants will either all burn, cook or move away.. so far it hasn't failed me..

Of course this only works on ants nests that are not inside a building

james

Jan 14, 2002
Is diatomaceous earth available around the north coast...Sosua or Puerto Plata?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Diatomeceous Earth in Santo Domingo?

Does anybody know if diatomaceous earth can be purchased in Santo Domingo?

In reading online apparently food grade diatomaceous earth is effective against fleas and ticks on pets, bedbugs (which can be picked up in caba?as) as well as ants and cockroaches in the kitchen.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
good luck on the ant war....jajajajajaj

diatomaceous earth is also what is used to filter beer in the final stages find out where Presidente gets theres.