Where to buy mosquito nets??

May 20, 2012
This year we are inundated with mosquitos. :(
Anyone know where can I find mosquito nets for a king size bed in Cabarete/Sosua area? And I have never used one; any shopping tips as to features to look for, assuming I have choices?

Thanks.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you were asking me where you could buy a 12 tube sun bed then I could understand the difficulty, but a mozzie net? Seriously? Where have you looked?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know that la sirena in POP has them. look at the boxes: different sizes for different beds. most popular is the stuff you tie into bed posts. i have not seen the one hanging from the ceiling...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
La Sirena does sell the ones that hang from the ceiling, which we prefer. Lots of different colors. Unfortunately, I think you might have trouble finding a king-size one, the one we bought barely covers our queen-size bed.

May 20, 2012
Clarification

La Sirena does sell the ones that hang from the ceiling, which we prefer. Lots of different colors. Unfortunately, I think you might have trouble finding a king-size one, the one we bought barely covers our queen-size bed.

Thanks.
I should have specified that it needs to hang from the ceiling. I saw a picture once of a frame that attached to the headboard, extending toward the foot of the bed with the net attached. That looked even better than the ceiling hook, but finding it here??????

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All the fabric shops have the material....make your own size.

Hang a frame from the ceiling or cantilever out from the wall.

IKEA sells them... at least in the US.

The anti-dengue league gives then away for free when you check out of the clinica after your 3rd dengue attack.

May 20, 2012
All the fabric shops have the material....make your own size.

Hang a frame from the ceiling or cantilever out from the wall.

IKEA sells them... at least in the US.

The anti-dengue league gives then away for free when you check out of the clinica after your 3rd dengue attack.
A net is about all I can think of beyond the obvious of Deet and getting rid of all the standing water you have control over. But, at least for us, this year is much, much worse than before. Cannot figure out why.

Saw you had contracted Dengue x2! What are you doing to keep the mosquitos at bay now?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Got bitten off property, but need to take extra precaution at home.
If a non-dengue mosquito bites a dengue patient - that mosquito now has dengue..... ready to infect others

My wife was VERY cautious.

We spray, and use the net when we feel necessary.... all beds have nets b/c our doors are open allnight - no screens

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I only swear by screens, used to have loads of bugs and creepy crawlies (and some mossies but not many thankfuly), lizards, frogs, u name it we
had it. ( we are the only ones running inversor so all the bugs of campo used to meet up.). The screens dont cost much, 22 windows, 5 doors, 2 balcony long doors cost us like 8000 pesos if u make and fit urself, very easy, they slide like windows on the railings.
We used to spray the rooms once a day, now only if I ve left door open for some time during night. We ve probably saved money already by not buying sprays and stuff......

May 20, 2012
I only swear by screens, used to have loads of bugs and creepy crawlies (and some mossies but not many thankfuly), lizards, frogs, u name it we
had it. ( we are the only ones running inversor so all the bugs of campo used to meet up.). The screens dont cost much, 22 windows, 5 doors, 2 balcony long doors cost us like 8000 pesos if u make and fit urself, very easy, they slide like windows on the railings.
We used to spray the rooms once a day, now only if I ve left door open for some time during night. We ve probably saved money already by not buying sprays and stuff......
We have screens! But the mosquitos can be tiny and these screens seem like the holes are relatively large. Are there differences in screening material?
We find literally hundreds (if not thousands) of mosquitos clinging to our balcony ceiling lately!! We kill them with an electric zapper with long handle, but there are more back the next day. We are in Cabarete, but on the ocean in second floor condo.....this is crazy.....never happened before but been like this for months now.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have screens on all our windows, and this year we brought these down for the front and back doors:

New Magic Mesh Hands Free Screen Door as Single Doors Sliding Doors RVs and More | eBay

The rottie was rather confused at first, but he got the hang of them quickly. If there is a very strong breeze, the magnets sometimes don't hold it closed. Kept out not only the mosquitoes but also the flies who love to investigate kitchen cooking scents.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have screens! But the mosquitos can be tiny and these screens seem like the holes are relatively large. Are there differences in screening material?
We find literally hundreds (if not thousands) of mosquitos clinging to our balcony ceiling lately!! We kill them with an electric zapper with long handle, but there are more back the next day. We are in Cabarete, but on the ocean in second floor condo.....this is crazy.....never happened before but been like this for months now.

Have you tried burning a mosquito coil on the balcony? We brought a bunch from the US, and found out they are actually cheaper in DR. Our housekeeper swears by a brand from Spain that has black coils instead of green. She says they sell them in La Sirena, told me to look for a black box.

I light up a coil on our terrazza every night about 6 pm, works wonders!

Last edited:

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Is getting screens not an option? We actually purchased screen material and covered every window with it using two sided tape while waiting for the screens to be fabricated. Nets are fine and dandy, but what about the rest of the house? Some places the mosquitos are unavoidable outside, but the house should be a sanctuary, otherwise you will end up just bitten while you eat dinner. I don't know why screens aren't standard on every home here. But they are a must.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

The mesh of the screens are real real thin, nothing gets in ( if u close them propoperly, hard cos they are homemade). The hard part is getting the cats to learn not to A) claw through them, the worst cos then the screen has holes. B) not to pull out the plastic thread that holds the mesh onto plastic frame, cos then I ve got to insert them again and jt gets me mad ( slightly less than replacing the whole mesh).

P?S I bought a 2hole roll of mesh and plastic tubes for the frame at ochoa in santisgo a couple of years ago.

May 20, 2012
Found a mosquitero at Playero that is labeled as queen size. So I bought it until I can get a king. It's one of the 4 cornered ones, so hanging temporarily crosswise from drapery rods and ceiling fan using cord extensions. Looks terrible, but it will cover our heads and upper bodies till I can find a proper one. And I couldn't find the black coils, but I need to get up to la Sirena for both.

I still want to find a frame that attaches to the back of the headboard and cantilevers over the bed. I saw one in a picture somewhere one the web a long time ago. Great idea.

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
Can you help me out with your advice? We are coming to the DR in mid-June, staying at a rented villa for a week while attending a wedding. No idea whether they have screens in the villa. But we are northerners and will want the windows open at night.

Would you advise us to get some mosquito nets and bring them with us? I see we can get a queen-size for about $40 CDN from Mountain Equipment here in Ottawa. So are the little buggers still likely to be a problem in mid-June? I'd rather pay $40 than come home with Dengue.