Power Cuts..... Wonderful!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
6-7hrs per day here recently in our guaranteed 24x7 sector.

My love affair with the DR apart from Punta Cana is almost over, they really have no hope.
15 years of the same old BS from the same apathetic people, sad but true.

Better build another mall to show things are getting better :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Here for the past week, in campo we have been getting like 4 sometimes 5 hours a day.....but the bill still arrived on time.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Robert, I too live in a 24/7 area!
We always have power "24/7"!!!!
I guess you don't understand how that works.
You provide your own electricity for 24 hours, and they provide electricity for 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was "OFF" for all afternoon/evening yesterday.
My 4 batteries died at about 6:30 pm.
As I went to start the generator,I guess their 7 hours started.
Off again at about 2am.
Back on at 5 am.
Sound like you may be reaching what I call, the DR, "Tipping Point"!
Where the cost/benefit ratio turns "Upside, DOWN"!
We Hear Ya Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Maybe this has something to do with the planned maintenance window? I think I read somewhere that they're needing to produce upwards of 788 megawatts daily to meet demand and presently the grid is only getting 388 from their plants.

Sounds like a dire situation to me. :(

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
As far as I know (but am not home the whole day) we are still good. I haven't felt motivated yet to change my damaged batteries, hope it stays that way...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sound like you may be reaching what I call, the DR, "Tipping Point"!

I don't find it so expensive to live here, but after 15 years of the same old BS, it starts to take it's toll.

When I look around at other countries, Chile, Colombia etc and see how far they have progressed in the same time period, you begin to realize that it will take generations of education and pain to change the mindset here.

These days I would prefer to spend my free time in a much more organized, advanced and more first world country. The only place I would ever consider living here if I did it all over again is Punta Cana. I have travelled all over the DR many times, visited just about every spot and Punta Cana stands out. Despite it being somewhat plastic, lacking in cultural activity, expensive, it's the only place that in my mind comes close to a true Caribbean destination in the DR.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I don't find it so expensive to live here, but after 15 years of the same old BS, it starts to take it's toll.

When I look around at other countries, Chile, Colombia etc and see how far they have progressed in the same time period, you begin to realize that it will take generations of education and pain to change the mindset here.

These days I would prefer to spend my free time in a much more organized, advanced and more first world country. The only place I would ever consider living here if I did it all over again is Punta Cana. I have travelled all over the DR many times, visited just about every spot and Punta Cana stands out. Despite it being somewhat plastic, lacking in cultural activity, expensive, it's the only place that in my mind comes close to a true Caribbean destination in the DR.

What took you so long to figure this out? And yes, it HAS become expensive to live here.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Well said Robert!!
I've been going to the DR since '97. It was always 2 steps forward 1 step back for awhile. For the last 5 years it has been a "sprint" backwards.
My wife and child of 3yrs.10mos. have died. I've come out of the "ether" that I've been in the last years; thinking things would get better etc. I'm a Gringo. Dominicans know that it is all BS. They have given up on hope because it invaribly is taken away from them.
My family ran back to the Campo several years ago for the life and safety they truely know. I visited them 8 mos. ago. They had those great Dominican smiles back, gained weight etc. from living off the land. A tiny school in the "boondocks" had taught my family some english.
They live a couple miles out from a town of about 1 thousand people. They were concerned. Some nice places in town were built by monies sent from family in the US.
Now all the deported, Dominicans after having served Murder sentences on down; educated by gangs in the US prison system run rampped in their home country Educating people their way. It is very scary.
We talk monthly now and my family and I, so much want to be together. The problem is in the dangers of getting there.
Robert, The crap has started in Punta Cana. If they don't stop it now the "Rat Hole" country it has become is doomed for decades.

Out of the Ether. Anyone else feeling it?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
6-7hrs per day here recently in our guaranteed 24x7 sector.

My love affair with the DR apart from Punta Cana is almost over, they really have no hope.
15 years of the same old BS from the same apathetic people, sad but true.

Better build another mall to show things are getting better :)

Better yet... Did you expect the DR to "fix" a century old culture of free-electricity for the masses overnight?

Again... The lights only go out in your home because you came with the same attitude from where you originated and lack DR common sense!

I'm a firm believer that Gov should NOT be in charge of power/water or other typical "utilities" first world countries denizen have come to expect elsewhere they step on around the world!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
We talk monthly now and my family and I, so much want to be together. The problem is in the dangers of getting there.
Robert, The crap has started in Punta Cana. If they don't stop it now the "Rat Hole" country it has become is doomed for decades.

Out of the Ether. Anyone else feeling it?

Doomed? Where have I heard of this before? LOL!!!

Try Colombia or Costa Rica! You'll love it there!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Maybe this has something to do with the planned maintenance window? I think I read somewhere that they're needing to produce upwards of 788 megawatts daily to meet demand and presently the grid is only getting 388 from their plants.

Sounds like a dire situation to me. :(

Nope! It's the money! It has always been about the money and nothing else!

The gov is the largest debtor and the one that drags the largest unpaid dues...

Believe you me, if the gov sells the distribution grid 100% to the private market, electricity would be 24/7 all the time!
Only that you will need to byol (bring your own light) when visiting gov offices for any chores...

$$$ is the root of the problems.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Better yet... Did you expect the DR to "fix" a century old culture of free-electricity for the masses overnight?

Again... The lights only go out in your home because you came with the same attitude from where you originated and lack DR common sense!

I'm a firm believer that Gov should NOT be in charge of power/water or other typical "utilities" first world countries denizen have come to expect elsewhere they step on around the world!

At this point, who in their right minds ever expects the power situation to change? This country does not have the ability to change the situation of constant blackouts while adding a third item to the old saying that there is nothing certain but death, taxes and blackouts.

The problem as you pointed out is that the government runs the power distribution system. But, the mental capacity of the government leaders is not sufficient for them to figure out how to privatize the power grid so that people get the electricity for which they pay.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
The government will never privatize power distribution because they would then have to actually do two things: 1) pay their bills and 2) enforce existing laws penalizing the theft of electricity. It's pretty hard to vote to throw yourself in jail.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The government will never privatize power distribution because they would then have to actually do two things: 1) pay their bills and 2) enforce existing laws penalizing the theft of electricity. It's pretty hard to vote to throw yourself in jail.

It is a combination of corruption, ignorance and stupidity by the leaders of the DR.

What I do not understand is why the power generators do not stop providing any power until they are paid 100% of what they are owed. I can only guess it is because that being paid a fraction of the debt is still profitable for the generators.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It is a combination of corruption, ignorance and stupidity by the leaders of the DR.

What I do not understand is why the power generators do not stop providing any power until they are paid 100% of what they are owed. I can only guess it is because that being paid a fraction of the debt is still profitable for the generators.
Look south. If the power generators go on strike it gives the gubmint a reason to nationalize the sector by fiat as an "emergency."

Rock->hard place.

I don't think the gubmint really cares about the power situation like they do the fuel situation. There is no $$$ in it for them...