Emergency Message From US Embassy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo informs U.S. citizens that there are reports of political groups currently protesting in the area around the Universidad Aut?noma de Santo Domingo (UASD) campus. Violence is being reported in the area and local media outlets indicate that a police officer was shot and possibly killed during a confrontation at the UASD. U.S. citizens are asked to stay away from the UASD area for the rest of the day, particularly the area near Alma Mater St. and Jose Contreras St.

We therefore urge you to avoid any other areas of demonstrations if possible, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations. Stay current with media coverage of local events and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Do you know what they are protesting about Ken?

because they are good for nothing? and they think they should get everything free?

they are supporting ongoing huelgas in other parts of the country. and why the huelgas? because the poor, who do not pay for the water or power, do not pay taxes and live on a stolen land are demanding the government should supply them with more stuff they can waste.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I guess it's the normal protests of every year around these dates, something to do with the "April Revolution" in DR in the 60s...

Still, I think it's funny that anyone will wait for the US embassy messages to know how to get around while in DR.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
People in San Fransico de Marcoris are also protesting. I have driven through there many times and there always seems there are remnants of burnt tires in the road. What is that all about. I guess they are looking for a lot a improvements in infra-structure.

LTSteve

Dec 26, 2011
because they are good for nothing? and they think they should get everything free?

they are supporting ongoing huelgas in other parts of the country. and why the huelgas? because the poor, who do not pay for the water or power, do not pay taxes and live on a stolen land are demanding the government should supply them with more stuff they can waste.

Your connection to monied Dominicans is showing.

Or you're being sarcastic and I missed it due to the limitations of this medium.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the usual stuff: Los manifestantes populares reclaman construcci?n de escuelas, arreglo de calles, saneamiento de ca?adas y la construcci?n de un hospital materno.

(...) para exigir construcci?n de viviendas para pobres, un centro materno infantil, asfaltado de calles y otras demandas.

Las demandas son: arreglos de calles, electrificaci?n y la construcci?n de distintas obras comunitarias, construcci?n de una plaza de la cultura, una biblioteca moderna en el Curne-UASD, saneamiento y encachado de la Ca?ada Grande, la carretera ecotur?stica Naranjo Dulce-Rancho Abajo, un asentamiento agrario, liceo en la salida a Tenares, la avenida circunvalaci?n, un hospital materno infantil y equipamiento de los laboratorios de la carrera de Ingenier?a, entre otras.

Dec 26, 2011
the usual stuff: Los manifestantes populares reclaman construcci?n de escuelas, arreglo de calles, saneamiento de ca?adas y la construcci?n de un hospital materno.

(...) para exigir construcci?n de viviendas para pobres, un centro materno infantil, asfaltado de calles y otras demandas.

Las demandas son: arreglos de calles, electrificaci?n y la construcci?n de distintas obras comunitarias, construcci?n de una plaza de la cultura, una biblioteca moderna en el Curne-UASD, saneamiento y encachado de la Ca?ada Grande, la carretera ecotur?stica Naranjo Dulce-Rancho Abajo, un asentamiento agrario, liceo en la salida a Tenares, la avenida circunvalaci?n, un hospital materno infantil y equipamiento de los laboratorios de la carrera de Ingenier?a, entre otras.

Pressing the government to invest in infrastructure and educational facilities isn't out of line.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Your connection to monied Dominicans is showing.
Or you're being sarcastic and I missed it due to the limitations of this medium.

no, i am being honest. and i am right in every word. those are the people who have been more privileged than anyone else. that live in a houses provided by the government, use power and water that is subsidized by the government and all they can do is demand more.

they want change yet they are ready to sell their vote for a price of a chicken. they demand sorting out the drainage problem yet they throw the rubbish directly onto the street.

Dec 26, 2011
no, i am being honest. and i am right in every word. those are the people who have been more privileged than anyone else. that live in a houses provided by the government, use power and water that is subsidized by the government and all they can do is demand more.

they want change yet they are ready to sell their vote for a price of a chicken. they demand sorting out the drainage problem yet they throw the rubbish directly onto the street.

It's complicated.

On one hand I agree that people that want real progress are unable to protest because they're either working or beat from working. On the other hand, the government's pretty lackadaisical about investing in infrastructure and education. The misbehaved "children" you speak of have simply emulated their "parents".

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

dv8, I'm just curious and I'm not being sarcastic. What houses are provided by the government?
The Dominicans that live in barrios either own or pay rent.

Dec 26, 2011
dv8, I'm just curious and I'm not being sarcastic. What houses are provided by the government?

My ex-wife had an uncle living in government housing in the Hato Mayor area. I think it had something to do with people displaced by the government appropriation of the land in Los Haitises National Park.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My ex-wife had an uncle living in government housing in the Hato Mayor area. I think it had something to do with people displaced by the government appropriation of the land in Los Haitises National Park.

Thanks PG, I wasn't aware of this.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

own? no. they have no titles. people move to cities every day. they do not buy the land they build on. this land belongs to the government, or to no one in particular.

the government also provides housing on regular basis. for instance they put up apartments to house the people who live along the rivers and on the beach. they were constantly being flooded. and you know what happened? many who received a free apartment sold it and came back to living in a shack.

there are many projects like this all over the country. the government constructs houses because they want votes. but all they teach is that everything in life comes free.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
who said i live here? i have never been to DR. i posting here just for fun. :devious: