best route to Puerto Plata from Santo Domingo?

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
How is the old route Autopista Duarte from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata (passing by Santiago)? I haven't been on it since 1998 so curious about road conditions.

Coming from SDQ airport, to Puerto Plata, which route would you recommend for a first time (but confident) driver here - Duarte or the new DR7 Samana highway? Is there much difference in travel time?
I think DR7 but would like other opinions.

Thanks!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Both will take about the same amount of time, once you're outside of SD. Keep in mind you have to get through the city to get on the road to Santiago.

I prefer the new Samana Highway precisely because you avoid the city, but it is a toll road. Either way, you're looking at about 4 hours, non-stop.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
i make a similar trip frequently from the sdq airport...for DAYTIME without hesitation i'd say the best route is to pay the tolls and do DR7 thru Nagua and onwards...NIGHTIME better to go thru Santiago and I would then use the tunnel route because in my opinion it's more used and safer for late night

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
How is the old route Autopista Duarte from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata (passing by Santiago)? I haven't been on it since 1998 so curious about road conditions.

Coming from SDQ airport, to Puerto Plata, which route would you recommend for a first time (but confident) driver here - Duarte or the new DR7 Samana highway? Is there much difference in travel time?
I think DR7 but would like other opinions.

Thanks!

Since it's your first time I would recommend the Samana highway as it will give you a chance to ease into the DR traffic more than the rush into Santo Domingo.

Make sure you have Dominican money because the road is a toll road.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
From the SDQ airport it will take you 10 minutes or less to get to the toll road.

Trip is about about 1 hr to Nagua, then 2 1/2 hrs and a bit to POP.

The 4 hr suggestion is pretty close - you may beat it.

Watch for Toll Road turnoff.....
a small sign on the right just after you pass the Las Americas toll booth...very small sign.

very easy, scenic drive mostly......... bear right in Nagua to stay on #5.... clearly marked

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You can not make it to Nagua in one hour. Minimum it will take you 1.5 hours or more. On the new highway they do run radar so keep your speed under 65mph. The roads from Nagua to POP is very good and you can cruise right along. It is a little tricky coming from the airport to access Rt 7 going north. When you come out of the airport there is a Texaco gas on your right. That is a good place to fill up with gas. Good luck.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry LT, the end of toll road is an hour.... 2 hrs to Cabrera from SDQ , 1 1/2 hours more to the POP airport

That's precise....

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I would say the Airport to POP trip can be done in 3:15 - 4:00 hours depending upon your speed and driving style..

I made the trip from the Airport to the Sea Horse Ranch last time in about 3:00, but I know the North Coast road like the palm of my hand, including all potholes and difficult points, had a full tank of gas and drove during the early evening when I had almost no traffic on the highway to Nagua and could keep to a steady 110-120 km/s, on the North Coast road I maintain a speed of about 90 km/s, except in the built up areas (Nagua; Cabrera, Rio San Juan, Gaspar Hernandes, Sabaneta, Cabarete, Sosua)..

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
i make a similar trip frequently from the sdq airport...for DAYTIME without hesitation i'd say the best route is to pay the tolls and do DR7 thru Nagua and onwards...NIGHTIME better to go thru Santiago and I would then use the tunnel route because in my opinion it's more used and safer for late night

After reading the following story of a Sosua expat trip thru the tunnel I am not sure its safer in the Altamira tunnel.
Delincuentes atacan a tiros a tres extranjeros en el t?nel de Altamira - Puerto Plata Digital