World Bank, Juan Dolio and Pinewood Studios

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You guys need someone to invest in neon lights, art deco buildings and import some international models. You will then at least start to look like South Beach.

LTSteve

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Many, pessimistic and tired have left the area to ponder their existence elsewhere. The developments taking place in the Juan Dolio region are difficult to complete given the competitive projects that lure capital, the margins required to secure long term expensive financing, and the need to move quickly in an environment that it not necessarily known for "speed". Despite the impediments, this project and the 5th Phase MCC expansion are on and will out-pace other destinations due to positive elements that, after years of projecting are now coming together...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"World Bank" is "Investing" in the DR?????????
That is the "Kiss-Of-Death" for any project!!
If "Pinewood" were a viable investment, private investors would be all over it!
But it AIN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The "WB" is just trying to keep it afloat a little while longer.
When "Pichardo" started "pitching" the project for "Leonel", with his "Computer Generated",."Pretty Pictures", and glowing "Prose", I knew it was just another government :bandit::bandit::bandit: backed program to steal more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Watch and "LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Jeez, Fernandez (I despise calling folks by their last names)

JD but that is SO Dominican.

And what about the profession nicknames? My suegra has a neighbor they call "la guardia" even though he got fired from that job years ago - but no one know his name. He'll be "la guardia" for the rest of his life.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
JD but that is SO Dominican.

And what about the profession nicknames? My suegra has a neighbor they call "la guardia" even though he got fired from that job years ago - but no one know his name. He'll be "la guardia" for the rest of his life.

Funny, I have been called "licenciado" or "doctor" by many Dominicans because I am an Accountant.

"Licenciado" I can get but "doctor"?

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Don't have an information on ground breaking... however, the sales effort is continuing with a focus on trading operations / emerging market bonds/equities. I would not place a bet on this project any time soon, despite the fact that the country has passed legislation that provides for and incentivizes financial entities to consider the option.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think that "Pichardo" designed their "FB" page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A LOT of "Sizzle", no "STAKE" yet!!!!!!!
Another "Development", just like "The Donald's" in "Cap Cana"????????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
According to the "OP's" link, they will be opening in June.
They better get moving.
Or maybe they mean "June 2020"??????????????????

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Are they investing in the movie industry or in beachfront real estate. It seems that more jobs for Dominicans translates to less beachfront for Dominicans.

BTW, CMIIW but, Doctor implies doctoral level education while licenciado = graduate level ':'

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In the USA, "Licenciado" would be "Kinder Garden", and "Doctor" would be "Middle School".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You left out "Maestro", (Master),which is just the prefix for "Bator" everywhere else. :eek::eek::eek:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
They are probably just tying to line up investors (Gringos) so that they can raise(screw) enough to send the money offshore(Ba Bye) and then pull up (move on)to the next project ( real estate bait and run)

LTSteve

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
In Italy and Spain if you are a lawyer or accountant you are called DR. I think its the title for professionals or for attaining a masters degree.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They are probably just tying to line up investors (Gringos) so that they can raise(screw) enough to send the money offshore(Ba Bye) and then pull up (move on)to the next project ( real estate bait and run)

LTSteve
Actually, it's a fund for Dominican film projects under the DGCINE Laws. Not real estate.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Hey LT sounds like you had a bad experience and you dont have much faith in the future. Can you explain why you have your negative outlook on Juan Dolio? I am in for the long haul and I have my bad and good days on my opinion of how this area will develope.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Hey LT sounds like you had a bad experience and you dont have much faith in the future. Can you explain why you have your negative outlook on Juan Dolio? I am in for the long haul and I have my bad and good days on my opinion of how this area will develope.

A bad experience or experience? I would say steve has a very good grasp on how business is done down here. Be very careful where you invest your money. If your friend is a big shot in govt or a Coronel and he gives you a sure fire investment......... Say goodbye to your money LOL.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Contrary to non-sense posted here earlier World Bank involvement through the IFC is an extremely positive sign for this project.

While direct private funding is of highest quality, the IFC is a private multilateral. Their underwriting standards are extremely strict and they have a mandate to support nascent industries in developing countries. In other words, they will not be investing in studios in Cannes or Hollywood.

Sometimes it appears that OLD (as IN OLD PEOPLE WITH OLD MINDS) have a lack of mental flexibility when it comes to the PRESENT and adhere to antiquated analysis or world views no matter how positive the news that come out of the country.

Cheers to you.

Principe

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
World Bank, IMF,==============:bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:
They get poor countries "By-The-Balls" and then NEVER let go.
They just love eating caviar,drinking French wines, first class air fare, and 5* hotels.
"Nada Mas, y Nada Menos"!
"OLD" is GOOD!
We know a SCAM when we see one!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just bet that the "Dominican delegation" that went to Cannes had pleanty of 5* hotel nights, Russian caviar, and gallons of "French Wine" while there.
Then flew back to the DR "First Class"!
All at the expense of the "Pueblo Dominicano"!
Look at the source of your link.
AGENDA driven site.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC