Cable Internet Provider

Feb 15, 2005
This is probably more for the Living Section, but who is the cable and Internet provider in Sosua and what is the standard package monthly charge?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 21, 2007
Delancer for cable and can also provide internet. Don't know cable cost. Basic internet is $65 a month. Codetel also can provide internet.

Lindsey

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Cable is $600 pesos with DeLancer. Extra channels/packages are $100. But the base package has a lot of tables. The only one I added was Fox (for sports). I like them for my Internet. I get a high speed drop to the U.S. with a U.S. IP address (from their partner in FL). That is a nice feature for my work. But Claro also provides Internet and TV. I think it is slightly more expensive but some people say it is more reliable. That said, I have no reliability issues with DeLancer.

Feb 15, 2005
Cable is $600 pesos with DeLancer. Extra channels/packages are $100. But the base package has a lot of tables. The only one I added was Fox (for sports). I like them for my Internet. I get a high speed drop to the U.S. with a U.S. IP address (from their partner in FL). That is a nice feature for my work. But Claro also provides Internet and TV. I think it is slightly more expensive but some people say it is more reliable. That said, I have no reliability issues with DeLancer.

Hi CJ, does the $600RD only include cable but no Internet correct?

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Correct. Lindsay's quote on the Internet is what I pay. But I got the "base" speed doubled for free and the drop into the U.S. is included. I also got a monitor put on the line and when it fails they switch me to the slower speed automatically. The slower doesn't work with my Vonage phone but it still works for me to use my computer and do my work. I am friendly with the family that owns the company and explained how important my work is and that I can't tolerate drops so they worked that out for me. Since doing that I'm hardly ever without Internet at the house.

Feb 15, 2005
Correct. Lindsay's quote on the Internet is what I pay. But I got the "base" speed doubled for free and the drop into the U.S. is included. I also got a monitor put on the line and when it fails they switch me to the slower speed automatically. The slower doesn't work with my Vonage phone but it still works for me to use my computer and do my work. I am friendly with the family that owns the company and explained how important my work is and that I can't tolerate drops so they worked that out for me. Since doing that I'm hardly ever without Internet at the house.

Ahh, ok. Sounds like an excellent setup.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
what bandwidth speed do you have with the doubling? Sorry, don't think anyone said what the basic speed was....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would go with Claro over Cable. Cable is always shared lines and you never can tell when it will slow down to a crawl. With Claro the line is yours, and I have had good results with them as long as the initial installation is right.

Feb 15, 2005
I would go with Claro over Cable. Cable is always shared lines and you never can tell when it will slow down to a crawl. With Claro the line is yours, and I have had good results with them as long as the initial installation is right.

Is Claro the dish?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have Delancer since 3 months now, and was only a couple of minutes without internet during that time. When the technician came, I explained we needed it for work. He looked at the cable present, and said it was cheap Chinese crap, and it was better to install a new one. Which he did for free.

All in all, constant speed, and good service.

BelgianK

Feb 15, 2005
I have Delancer since 3 months now, and was only a couple of minutes without internet during that time. When the technician came, I explained we needed it for work. He looked at the cable present, and said it was cheap Chinese crap, and it was better to install a new one. Which he did for free.

BelgianK

and you pay $65US for both cable & Internet?

Feb 15, 2005
I paid 2395rds last month, but I think they forgot to charge me for the cable television, as that alone is cc. 700rds (a bit more now with the 18%)

BelgianK

Ok, got you. Last question (I think lol) what's the installation lead time from contract date?

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
what bandwidth speed do you have with the doubling? Sorry, don't think anyone said what the basic speed was....

The base speed at the time I bought was 1.5 Mbps down and 256 Kbps up. The later doesn't work very well with my Vonage, but I went with it anyway knowing I could double for free. DeLancer is always offering double for free. So what I'm actually getting now is 3 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013

BelgianK

I agree. I haven't had any issues with the speed decreasing since I had it installed. The only issue I have is the fast speed line faults (believe it or not most of the time it is a problem at their partner's location in FL and not here in the DR). But when that happens it automatically switches me over to the slow router and then switches me back once the faster one is working. Usually when down the fast one is only down about 30 minutes maybe once every couple of weeks. In the past two years I've only had total Internet loss about five times for no more than 15 minutes any time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

SKY is correct about cable. Cable is configured in a star configuration, so when more people are added to the star your connection can slow down dramatically (unless they agree not to add people to your star). DSL is single line, or home run configuration that should not vary in speed once it is set up.