Is cabarete a good choice?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Considering having a bit of a solo break for 3 or 4 days, chill, sun, hang out with some friendly people, I might even drop off the wagon for a few days. I've been in the DR for quite a few years now but I must admit I have never spent any time in tourist resorts, other than passing through and other than A/I bavaro, Punta Cana. Is cabarete a good idea for someone like me?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Was there a couple of weeks ago with my wife...
stayed at alegria hotel, nice situation, calm, beach has disappeared,but 2 mn away nice calm one. u can walk along the only road into " town center" in like 5 min.
main beach very touristic restaurants, tourist shops along the road and stuff. I found it expensive for eating and coffee, but I live in campo so I mnot used to that kind of place....
all in all more or less nice place, but check other thread of mine. a couple of people said I would have prefered cabrera to chill out. apparently more dominican style, less tourist home away from home place.....
enjoy.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I like Cabarete. But of course it depends on what you are looking for. As malko said, the restaurants are a bit pricey, but these are not the typical beachfront shacks. They are not five star either. They are sort of in the middle and priced accordingly. The variety of food choices is very good for a small beach area. It is a relaxed atmosphere but there are usually a lot of tourists. Cabrera is quieter and definitely more Dominican. Cabrera is not a far drive from Cabarete. And if you drive up using the new toll road passing through Nagua you'll pass Cabrera on your way to Cabarete so you can have a look for yourself and decide if you want to stop there.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We often remove the 'Cabrera' signs from the roadway...... to keep visitors away.

Lack of good restaurants can be a deterent

ElAlien

Mar 10, 2013
In Cabarete everything is over-priced. You'll do better going to Miami Beach. Also, there are too many Canuks in Cabarete, including the boys club of the Canadian Chapter of the Hell-Angels.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
In Cabarete everything is over-priced. You'll do better going to Miami Beach. Also, there are too many Canuks in Cabarete, including the boys club of the Canadian Chapter of the Hell-Angels.

I take it you're joking about better prices in Miami Beach. That's far from the truth. Slightly racist about Canuks? Yes, Canadians including Quebecois are there but it's about the most cosmopolitan place I know. There was a Bikers meet in Cabarete last weekend, but it's not every week.

ElAlien

Mar 10, 2013
I take it you're joking about better prices in Miami Beach. That's far from the truth. Slightly racist about Canuks? Yes, Canadians including Quebecois are there but it's about the most cosmopolitan place I know. There was a Bikers meet in Cabarete last weekend, but it's not every week.
More racist than many Canuks in Cabarete, I don't think so. Anyway, racist is the wrong title here, Ego-centric sounds more appropiate. Cabarete is expensive. You know it and I know it. It is as expensive as in Miami.

Preston

Nov 13, 2011
I have gone to Cabarete many times and I have always experienced a good time. You can totally relax, chill, sun, and meet a lot of truly friendly people. I find the prices in most restaurants to be appropriate. If you have any specific questions, there are many experts on the area usng this forum.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
More racist than many Canuks in Cabarete, I don't think so. Anyway, racist is the wrong title here, Ego-centric sounds more appropiate. Cabarete is expensive. You know it and I know it. It is as expensive as in Miami.

Cabarete is as expensive as Miami? Really? For what? I spend quite a bit of time in Cabarete and when I do go back to the states, which is still frequent, it is usually to Miami Beach. Cabarete is expensive by DR standards for sure but it doesn't compare to Miami Beach, but have you compared beach front rentals or sales? Or hotels, beachfront or not? Beachfront restaurants (Or in the case of Miami Beach just being on the road across from the beach, but not being able to see the ocean from the restaurant). Shopping for anything? OK, you got me one gasoline is more expensive in Cabarete. If you think Cabarete is more expensive than Miami Beach you must really be paying the took it up the backside 3x inflated dumb gringo price.

ElAlien

Mar 10, 2013
OK Canuks, if gas is more expensive in Cabarete, that should tell you something. In any where in the world where gasoline prices are high, it makes everything else go up in prices. In Cabarete, you paid about $8 US dollars for a mix drink. A meal in Cabarete is about 700 pesos. With the US dollar at 41 pesos, it comes out to about $17 US dollars. I rather stay in Sosua or go to Puerto Plata. There is nothing so see in Cabarete other than all the wanna-be Miami restaurants. They don't even play Dominican music!:alien:

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, US $17 is real expensive for a meal at a beachfront restaurant. Those restaurants on the strip in Miami Beach where you can't seven see the ocean wouldn't dare charge $17 for a meal. A few extra dollars for gas really adds up when you are saving on hotel rooms and everything else. Whether you like the atmosphere or not is a different topic and has nothing to do with the cost. I've had some good meals in Cabarete, for 1/2 of what I would pay for the same in Miami Beach, but everybody has different tastes. Sorry, no McDonalds in Cabarete so you won't get the ultra-cheap fast-food hamburger. But you can get some pica pollo and rice and beans instead if you want to do that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
whaaat? cabarete is big enough to have a little bit of everything, from lobster to plato del dia. at a wide range of prices.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I was in Cabarete last weekend for a three day escape from the capital. Had a good time, spent about 8 or 9000 in food (3 lunches, 2 breakfast, 2 dinner for 2 people. About 4500 in entertainment and probably 4000 in gas. (Someone lend us their studio, so no lodging). It was my first time on the north coast other than passing by and it was worth the while.