Shipping Companies for Household Goods

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It looks like after 5+ years the inevitable will be happening, and I'll be shipping my household goods to the DR in a 20' container under the one-time duty exclusion.

I'm looking for current input from folks the last couple of years who have done this.

Who did you use, how was the experience and whould you use them again. If you want to mention what it costs, that's great. Or if you prefer a PM, also good. Contact info very helpful.

I'm looking for warehouse storage to DR door service.

TIA!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I used a Dutch mover, they packed everything export ready in my house (took them 2 days) in Europe. Shipped it to Caucedo where it was handled by International Packers. I paid 6500 euros.

I was not very happy with the help of the customs agent International Packers used, he was insinuating all the time how much he could help us to avoid paying duty (which we were exempt of) and it seemed they were delaying things at the port but can't complain about their service delivering and unpacking everything in SD.

Make sure you are well prepared for what customs will ask you as proof that you are exempt of duties, any delay at the moment the container arrives will result in Demurrage and storage.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Caucedo is the port of choice.... least corrupt, they say.

Talk to Hispaniola Freight in SD... Wendoline de Pena was my contact - soup to nuts
:: Hispaniola Freight Services ::

This is a freight move - not mudanza.Like Awilda or Montero.... they fill containers with small loads - you have a full container already.
I used Freight Forwarding, Import, International Shipping, Logistics | Benchmark Export Inc. in Phila.... they work nationwide. Just find one you're comfortable with.
Stephanie was my contact there

I had movers pack mine.... needs to be fitted in and tied down.
Buy more and throw it in... can be new stuff too.... washer dryer, anything

You'll need a goodpacking list for shipment and for customs here.

It's not that hard..... let me know if I can help more