Larimar- where?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Where does one have to go in the DR to find good quality larimar jewelry at good prices?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
There are a couple of shops in Las Terrenas, they both have impressive displays but I know nothing about quality.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Larimar is mined near Barahona. I would think you could get good prices in this area. This is the only place in the world where it comes from. Buying the cut and polished stone is tricky. Just like all semi-precious minerals there are varying degrees of quality. If you want something set in silver than go to jewerly store. If you want something that looks nice but not overly expensive than a souvernir shop will do. In Santo Domingo I think there is a store a few doors down from the Hard Rock Cafe at the Colonial Zone where you can buy it. Don't forgot to bargain. There is a lot of profit margin built into the price on jewerly.

LTSteve

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
once you get past the quality of the stone/stones, you'll find VAST differences in the quality of settings. In quality of metal, (real sterling silver???), design, and execution/craftsmanship.

I've seen good pieces intermixed with pretty nasty looking stuff even in the better stores. I've never seen really good quality being sold by beach vendors / souvenir shops. My favorite local store is the Amber Museum... but I'm in P.C. I don't know if they are affiliated with others of the same name in other locations.

Although I'd rather "buy local", the nicest pieces I've gotten (for special occasions), has been online. Larimarket.com is a favorite. Pricey, yes, but quality. They specialize in one designer, but the variety is pretty good. And NO... I have no connection whatsoever with them... other than as a satisfied customer several times.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
I bought some pieces last year just off the malecon. It was a wholesale jewelry store, wish I could remember name of it. As LT Steve says, make sure you bargain, lots of wiggle room. This place had a museum in the back, showing exactly how larimar is mined. Does that ring anybody`s bell?

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
The best laramar comes from Barahona.. from Barahuoco is where the best Larimar can be found.. All grades of the stone.. it's gorgeous.. but most people won't come to Barahona cause it's so far off the beaten path :)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Thanks for all the great answers! Will visit Barahona some day.