Is residency visa info current on DR1 legal?

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
If it is mandatory to start in home country,should residency visa info in legal category of DR1 be up dated?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I believe you apply for a residency visa in your home country and bring it with you to the DR. Temporary residency also starts in your home country by getting the proper documentation in order and they way it will be accepted by the DR gov.

LTSteve

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
As stated in your other post on the legal board...YES you need to start the process in your home country

Bob K

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Consulate Service Tariff

PJT did a little googling and came up with this tariff cost of services at the consulates in the US.

Please note: It is from the Dominican Embassy webpage, tariffs may valid at its time of creation. Use the tariff as a guide only.

tarifas

Regards,

PJT

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I started the process in Washington DC; they scanned my documents and I received a visa in my passport that began the process; had 60 days to continue it by going to SD. It cost at the DC consulate $125. That, of course, doesn't take into account what it cost to have each document notarized, authenticated, apostilled and then all the paperwork translated into Spanish and apostilled. Much of the paperwork needed for the onset was not required in SD by the way.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Earning more revenue

It is a possibility one of the reasons of many is the government to desires to start the visa process offshore is it would earn more revenue through its tariffs in its foreign embassies and consulates. Examine the tariffs in the previous post. One has to surmise that each location has to collect a minimun amount of revenue to maintain its station, otherwise face closure. Another factor to start the visa process offshore is to hinder entrance to the country of nondesirables. But, of course we all suspect favors have a price.

Regards,

PJT

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
I understand. However,the info under legal on DR1 can be confusing. It states as follows....
Residence Visa
The residence visa is the first step to obtain the residence card in the Dominican Republic. It can be obtained in approximately three months. The Ministry recommends that the process be begun prior to the person arriving in the DR, although it can also be carried out once the person is in the country.

1. Letter of application addressed to the consul or the Minister of Foreign Relations (in case the person is already in the DR), signed by the applicant or legal representative. The letter of request can be issued by an individual or a company and should contain the following:

a) When the application is filled out by an individual: individual's name, nationality, place of residence, and the activity to which the applicant is or will be dedicated in the country. If the application is filled out by a company, in addition to the data on the applicant, the request should be made on company stationary, and signed by the highest ranking officer of the company, indicating the position the applicant will hold.

b) Indication of the ties to the country, that can be any of the following:
1-b) Dominican by origin
2-b) Married to a Dominican
3-b) Have a work contract, legalized by the Ministry of Labor
4-b) Proof of economic solvency (investor, retiree)

2. Form 509-Ref, duly completed and signed by the applicant, to be submitted with the other documents to the Ministry of Foreign Relations. This form can be purchased for RD$0.56 or US$1.00 if the application is carried out from abroad), typed or printed, accompanied with a Direcci?n de Impuestos Internos stamp for RD$2.00 (US$2.00 if filled out abroad).

3. Certificate of Good Conduct issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the beneficiary has been more than three months in the country, it needs to be issued by the competent local judicial authority.
4. Medical Health Certificate. Issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the applicant has been living more than three months in the country, a recent medical certificate should be presented, legalized by the Ministry of Public Health (SESPAS).

5. Three front view 2"x2" photographs.
6. Birth Certificate.
7. Certificate of the Department of Migration with proof of the last entry of the person to the country and copy of the Tourist Card.

8. Two photocopies of the applicant's complete passport.
Observations:
1. All documents received from abroad need to be legalized by the Dominican consulate in the corresponding jurisdiction.
2. All documents need to be presented in original and four copies with the exception of the passport.
3. The passport needs to be valid for a minimum of three months after having been deposited for the visa.
4. If the application includes the spouse, a marriage certificate should be included.
5. Minors are exempt from the Good Conduct Certificate requirement.

Student Visa
1. Letter of application addressed to the Minister of Foreign Relations.
a) If the visa is requested in the DR, the letter of application needs to be made by the rector of the university or educational institution.

b) If the application is made from abroad, it needs to be remitted via the corresponding Dominican consulate.
2. Letter of Guarantee or Affidavit addressed to the Minister of Foreign Relations. Legalized by the corresponding consulate.

a) Signed by the parent or tutor certifying he/she will cover the student's expenditures in the country.
b) Proof of economic solvency.
c) If issued in the country, it needs to be legalized by a notary public.
3. Three front view 2"x2" photographs.
4. Form 509-Ref (purchased for RD$0.56 or US$1.00 if the application is carried out from abroad), typed or printed, accompanied with a Direcci?n de Impuestos Internos stamp for RD$2.00 (US$2.00 if filled out abroad). Citizens of the United States, Spain, Italy, Panama, Mexico and Norway do not need to purchase these stamps, because the visas are free for them.

5. Certificate of Good Conduct: Issued by the jurisdiction of residence, legalized by the corresponding consulate. If it is a renewal, it should be issued in the country by the Procuradur?a Fiscal.

6. Photocopy of the previous visa, in case of a renewal.
7. Medical Certificate: Issued by the jurisdiction of residence of the applicant, legalized by the corresponding consulate. If it is a renewal, it can be issued in the DR, using a Rentas Internas form with stamps of RD$1.25.

8. Proof of registry from the university: This can be a photocopy of the registration.
9. Two complete copies of the applicant's passport. Notes: The letter of request should be submitted in an original and six copies.
The other documents need be submitted in an original and four copies.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I agree 100% - the info is a bit outdated as of last August 2012. You can no longer apply for residency within the DR - only in your home of record through the DR consulate.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
I agree 100% - the info is a bit outdated as of last August 2012. You can no longer apply for residency within the DR - only in your home of record through the DR consulate.
Thank you for your perfect answer..hopefully DR1 will update the info.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The confusion was a brief "amnesty" for those already here, but closed quickly.

Pablito Calvo

Apr 24, 2013
Is residency visa really necessary? I read elsewhere on the web that you can stay long term on a tourist visa because the authorities never check them. Then when you leave the country you have to pay a small fine and can re-enter on a new tourist visa.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yeh, if you don't need to work or drive legally then you don't need it, I see no other benefit.

waiting time is over 7 months at the moment, by the way!