Looking at houses in Cabarete Center, Pro-Cab & Perla Marina

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Hola fellow dr1'ers.

We've been looking at houses around the Cabarete area (will consider suggestions max $200k).
I am an addicted windsurfer and therefore need to be very close to the windsurfing centers.

We are looking at three neighborhoods, Cabarete Center (which has more condos than houses), Pro-Cab (seems decent) and Perla Marina (feels far as we're getting lazy living in the center of Cabarete now).

We have a dog and need a house with a yard.

How is the Pro Cab situation in terms of water/electrical/street/security issues?
Perla Marina seems sorted out but doesn't have a whole lot going on besides one beach-side restaurant.
We love to walk around and would only need one car were we to buy something close to the center of Cabarete.

deangelis

Nov 21, 2006
Check out Martin Hasse at Century 21 Sosua has Villa in Costa Azul 5 min

Check out Martin Hasse at Century 21 Sosua has Villa in Costa Azul 5 min from dowtown
Hola fellow dr1'ers.

We've been looking at houses around the Cabarete area (will consider suggestions max $200k).
I am an addicted windsurfer and therefore need to be very close to the windsurfing centers.

We are looking at three neighborhoods, Cabarete Center (which has more condos than houses), Pro-Cab (seems decent) and Perla Marina (feels far as we're getting lazy living in the center of Cabarete now).

We have a dog and need a house with a yard.

How is the Pro Cab situation in terms of water/electrical/street/security issues?
Perla Marina seems sorted out but doesn't have a whole lot going on besides one beach-side restaurant.
We love to walk around and would only need one car were we to buy something close to the center of Cabarete.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From what the residents of ProCab tell me if you live there you will be on a "subscription plan for DEET" because of all of the mosquitoes. That is because there is a swamp immediately adjacent to ProCab.

ProCab should be on 24/7 power, such as that is in the DR.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I have many friends who live in ProCab and enjoy it quite a bit. One of them lives in a condo while another has a house. Actually his house is for sale (very good price) because his daughter is now in France and he needs to move to be with her. But if I were to live in Cabarete, I'd probably be there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
From what I know of your requirements, ProCab is certainly the best fit overall since you would like to walk to windsurfing. It would require renting space for your equipment on the beach, but that is still by far the most convenient way to go no matter where you live since it is always rigged and ready use.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
We live and own in Pro Cab and I don't find the mosquitoes terribly annoying. Just at dusk. We have noise by-laws and a good feeling of community. Some are quite right in that you can walk to anywhere and we are also very close to Yanet's, so groceries are easy to get. We are on an "A" circuit for electricity but still have outs when they are working on the lines elsewhere. Never had a problem getting water in our cistern but we also have a tinaco on our roof. They will soon be paving all of Pro Cab from my understanding. There is a community gardener that keeps the roads and shoulders tidied up and there is a 24/7 guard at the gate. Seems there are a lot more gringos in there now. We love our place and the convenience to everything. We do not own a car but we get around very easily. Depends on what you are looking for. Good luck!

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Dont hold your breath

Last I heard they need to sort out the water issues first but they don't seem that far, we actually saw progress over the last couple of days. Where do you get your information from?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Last I heard they need to sort out the water issues first but they don't seem that far, we actually saw progress over the last couple of days. Where do you get your information from?

LOL....the problem with the water issue is they decided to put the pumping station on someone's land without asking the owner for permission. He said he would allow it, if they paid him a pretty hefty sum of money and he got use of some land beside the pumping station. The engineers that put the system in designed it so that they could only put the pumping station at that location, and if they had to move it, it would cost a lot of money, (which Pro-Cab doesnt have). Without that pumping station, there will be no pavement......
Like Vinyasa said "Dont hold your breath"..... maybe you should get a better real estate agent too

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
probably just knows that this rumor , and commitment has been in the supposed works for 5 years or more! possibly because in any gringo abundant area it holds no power for voting at election time ..... It will be done at the same time the bancrupt condos at the entrance of procab give any compensation to purchasers! I THINK NOT!

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
[...] Without that pumping station, there will be no pavement......

Interesting story, confirms that they have water issues. Some residents like that it's not paved, makes people drive slower.

Like Vinyasa said "Dont hold your breath"..... maybe you should get a better real estate agent too

Our real estate agent doesn't want us to move there :D !

Last edited:

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Rendul # 6
We live and own in Pro Cab and I don't find the mosquitoes terribly annoying. Just at dusk. We have noise by-laws and a good feeling of community. Some are quite right in that you can walk to anywhere and we are also very close to Yanet's, so groceries are easy to get. We are on an "A" circuit for electricity but still have outs when they are working on the lines elsewhere. Never had a problem getting water in our cistern but we also have a tinaco on our roof. They will soon be paving all of Pro Cab from my understanding. There is a community gardener that keeps the roads and shoulders tidied up and there is a 24/7 guard at the gate. Seems there are a lot more gringos in there now. We love our place and the convenience to everything. We do not own a car but we get around very easily. Depends on what you are looking for. Good luck!

Like you we love our place here in Pro Cab, I second your comment.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
After living here for a few months, we truly enjoy being close to the center of cabarete.

Currently renting in Procab, we are not having much luck finding a house we like. Also after considering expenses and security, we have expanded our search to condos. Los Almendros, Ocean One, Ocean Dream, Paradise, Renaissance are on the list.

We have a dog, so condos should allow pets at least for owners. We prefer something with a little privacy, are ok with some noise but fear the short term renting crowd!

Options to acquire a lot in Procab to build seem a little challenging with baby on the way...

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
procab can be prone to flooding in certain areas- same as a few other places even on hills , you have to look at the way the water would flow down a road for instance in torrential rain