Pay Scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redvelvet215

Sep 5, 2010
So I finally bought a very cheap building in dominican republic and I have has some clothing shipped to this store. It is not open yet because I am still buying stuff for the store. I do not speak spanish. So I was going to hire two or maybe three girls to work for me as customer service but before I start looking for employees I need to know what is a reasonable as for paying. Do people get paid weekly in the dominican republic or monthly and how much do cashiers usually get paid there? I just do not want to over pay nor do I want to under pay them as well? Please let the answers be on topic. I've seen post with people making sly remarks or talk about stuff that do not have anything to do with the question.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Minimum wage is approx. $7,100 RD. Add about 60-65% on top of that for taxes, insurance, bonuses, vacation pay, etc.
Payment is every 15 days generally.
suerte.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think minimum wage is a little higher than that right now, around 8500. Social security, 13 month (8%), vacation (6%), severance pay (5%?) and if you make profit be prepared to pay out 10% of it to your employees.

Good luck! Where's your store going to be?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yes, that's the law, you are supposed to give 10% of your profit as bonification to your employees

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I wish you luck in your endeavour. Find yourself a reliable lawyer and try very hard to learn espanol as quickly as you can.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you read Spanish, here it is:

10% of the net profit BEFORE taxes and BEFORE bonifications to higher management...

TITULO VIII. DE LA PARTICIPACION EN LOS BENEFICIOS DE LA EMPRESA

Art. 223. Es obligatorio para toda empresa otorgar una participaci?n equivalente al diez por ciento de las utilidades o beneficios netos anuales a todos sus trabajadores por tiempo indefinido.

La participaci?n individual de cada trabajador no podr? exceder del equivalente a cuarenta y cinco d?as de salario ordinario para aquellos que hayan prestado servicios por menos de tres a?os, y de sesenta d?as de salario ordinario para los que hayan prestado servicio continuo durante tres o m?s a?os.

Cuando el trabajador no preste servicios durante todo el a?o que corresponde al ejercicio econ?mico, la participaci?n individual ser? proporcional al salario del tiempo trabajado.

Art. 224. El pago de la participaci?n a los trabajadores ser? efectuado por las empresas a m?s tardar entre los noventa y los ciento veinte d?as despu?s del cierre de cada ejercicio econ?mico.

La participaci?n de que trata el presente t?tulo goza de los mismos privilegios, garant?as y exenciones que el salario.

Art. 225. En caso de que hubiere discrepancia entre las partes sobre el importe de la participaci?n, los trabajadores pueden dirigirse al Secretario de Estado de Trabajo, para que a instancias de ?ste, el Director General del Impuesto sobre la Renta disponga las verificaciones del lugar.

Art. 226. Quedan exceptuados de pagar el salario de participaci?n en los beneficios:

1. las empresas agr?colas, agr?colaindustriales, industriales, forestales y mineras durante sus primeros tres a?os de operaciones, salvo convenci?n en contrario;
2. las empresas agr?colas cuyo capital no exceda de un mill?n de pesos;
3. las empresas de zonas francas.
Art. 227. La participaci?n de los trabajadores debe calcularse sobre los beneficios netos antes de determinar la renta neta imponible y las bonificaciones que correspondan a los miembros del consejo de administraci?n, directores, administradores o gerentes.

Redvelvet215

Sep 5, 2010
If you read Spanish, here it is:

10% of the net profit BEFORE taxes and BEFORE bonifications to higher management...

TITULO VIII. DE LA PARTICIPACION EN LOS BENEFICIOS DE LA EMPRESA

Art. 223. Es obligatorio para toda empresa otorgar una participaci?n equivalente al diez por ciento de las utilidades o beneficios netos anuales a todos sus trabajadores por tiempo indefinido.

La participaci?n individual de cada trabajador no podr? exceder del equivalente a cuarenta y cinco d?as de salario ordinario para aquellos que hayan prestado servicios por menos de tres a?os, y de sesenta d?as de salario ordinario para los que hayan prestado servicio continuo durante tres o m?s a?os.

Cuando el trabajador no preste servicios durante todo el a?o que corresponde al ejercicio econ?mico, la participaci?n individual ser? proporcional al salario del tiempo trabajado.

Art. 224. El pago de la participaci?n a los trabajadores ser? efectuado por las empresas a m?s tardar entre los noventa y los ciento veinte d?as despu?s del cierre de cada ejercicio econ?mico.

La participaci?n de que trata el presente t?tulo goza de los mismos privilegios, garant?as y exenciones que el salario.

Art. 225. En caso de que hubiere discrepancia entre las partes sobre el importe de la participaci?n, los trabajadores pueden dirigirse al Secretario de Estado de Trabajo, para que a instancias de ?ste, el Director General del Impuesto sobre la Renta disponga las verificaciones del lugar.

Art. 226. Quedan exceptuados de pagar el salario de participaci?n en los beneficios:

1. las empresas agr?colas, agr?colaindustriales, industriales, forestales y mineras durante sus primeros tres a?os de operaciones, salvo convenci?n en contrario;
2. las empresas agr?colas cuyo capital no exceda de un mill?n de pesos;
3. las empresas de zonas francas.
Art. 227. La participaci?n de los trabajadores debe calcularse sobre los beneficios netos antes de determinar la renta neta imponible y las bonificaciones que correspondan a los miembros del consejo de administraci?n, directores, administradores o gerentes.

I can't read spanish. That is why I asking to hire someone that speak spanish to work customer service for me. As for your article what website did you get this article from because you have a lot information on that one article maybe that website can answer all my questions.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
I'm not trying to be a debby downer, and please don't take this the wrong way, but before opening a business in a foreign country, at the very least you should speak the language and have a good lawyer to consult with on matters such as this (especially since you cannot read the law in spanish).

Having spanish speaking employees is fine and dandy, should be easy to find some in the DR :) but they could be plotting to rob you blind right in front of you, and you would think they were discussing their hair.

Especially given the fact that often times in the DR, whether it is beauracracy (such as labour laws) or issues with the locals....the gringo is always at a disadvantage. Especially if the gringo doesn't speak the language.

Hopefully you can find a super trustworty manager who can help you stay compliant with the labour laws, and keep the other employees from robbing you blind ...

Redvelvet215

Sep 5, 2010
I'm not trying to be a debby downer, and please don't take this the wrong way, but before opening a business in a foreign country, at the very least you should speak the language and have a good lawyer to consult with on matters such as this (especially since you cannot read the law in spanish).

Having spanish speaking employees is fine and dandy, should be easy to find some in the DR :) but they could be plotting to rob you blind right in front of you, and you would think they were discussing their hair.

Especially given the fact that often times in the DR, whether it is beauracracy (such as labour laws) or issues with the locals....the gringo is always at a disadvantage. Especially if the gringo doesn't speak the language.

Hopefully you can find a super trustworty manager who can help you stay compliant with the labour laws, and keep the other employees from robbing you blind ...

I do have a trustworthy manager, which is my boyfriend. He is dominican and bi-lingual but, he have his own business so I just want someone to work with me when he is not here. The only thing I wanted to know was what is a reasonable pay. So I will not under pay my sales associate. So like my topic say stay on the topic. I only want to know reasonable amount to pay.

Redvelvet215

Sep 5, 2010
Thanks guys.. for all those that actually read my post and replied on the topic. You guys were a great help.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The text I pasted came from here: Rep?blica Dominicana. C?digo del Trabajo , basically the result of google search 'codigo de trabajo republica Dominicana 223' the latter being the article number on bonifications'.

The most up to date law and other information you can find on Ministerio de Trabajo , the website of the Dominican ministry of labour but the websites of the government aren't examples of organized, to the point websites, they are chaotic, full of pictures and the things you would want to know are hard to find.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the minimum salary varies, depending on the type and size of the business. i would say 8k pesos a month is a good salary in this case.
10% is also a bit loose, so to speak. the amount paid is tied to the position and salary received. so you can pay yourself as a manager a lot more than you would do to your workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.