Flights from Orlando/Tampa Florida

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
I just moved from PA to central florida (Tampa, Orlando area) we usually would fly from JFK to SDQ which was a no brainer on Delta; but here I'm having a hard time finding reasonable flights! What did I miss the past 8 months? I want to send my 10 & 11 year olds for the summer to their grandmothers but I cant find a straight flight and all the flights with lay overs are 9 to 24 hrs long! This is crazy to me. Even if we send them from JFK when we visit PA in the summer the flights are up $150 more than they were for the same time period last year. This sucks!! :cry: :confused:
Any adivce or suggestions are very welcome

Thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I just moved from PA to central florida (Tampa, Orlando area) we usually would fly from JFK to SDQ which was a no brainer on Delta; but here I'm having a hard time finding reasonable flights! What did I miss the past 8 months? I want to send my 10 & 11 year olds for the summer to their grandmothers but I cant find a straight flight and all the flights with lay overs are 9 to 24 hrs long! This is crazy to me. Even if we send them from JFK when we visit PA in the summer the flights are up $150 more than they were for the same time period last year. This sucks!! :cry: :confused:
Any adivce or suggestions are very welcome

Thanks
All air travel is more expensive than a year ago.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
It is what about 4 hours drive from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale, and one can fly direct on Spirit Air for $120.00 usually if one isn't afraid of the dark because they are a fly-by-night airline.

derfish is spot on. You need to get to Lauderdale (jetblue or spirit direct to sdq) or Miami (American direct to sdq). To give you an example other than a 10pm direct JetBlue flight, all my Boston to sdq options go thru Mia or Fll...(I avoid JFK as trained by avoiding northern airports in the winter, And not liking JFK).

Bill

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
jet blue has direct flights from Orlando to SDQ. Don't think there are any direct flights from Tampa to here.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
JetBlue has one nonstop a day out of Orlando. Reasonable time, unreasonable price. Next closest is FLL followed by MIA.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
For reliability and price stick with Jet Blue out of Fort Laud. I have flown it many times. I would not send kids on Spirit.

LTSteve

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Jet Blue from Orlando direct as said and also as said unreasonable most of the year. Actually it is more expensive to return to Orlando than to fly to SDQ. I guess they figure you have to come home. GOL direct and cheaper but the only problem is the arrival in SDQ is after Midnight.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Umbeatables air fares, I was thinking in taking the train or a bus fron NC to Ft. Lauradel next week but couldn't find a seat on the way back...

Next time will plan my trip two or three months in advance!

JJ

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Return trip from SDQ to MCO is more expensive because Dominican govt. adds $102 in taxes to the round trip. Most of it is the departure tax leaving the country. Over $80.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Spirit Air has a fare from Orlando to Santiago for $102. If one has 10 bags to pay for they will have to pay more for Spirit AIr than Jet Blue if 10 bags are free on Jet Blues price.

I just checked on Gol traveling from May 18 and coming back to MCO on May 26 2013 RD$18,839.50 (US$459.50 round trip.)

JetBlue same dates 490.00 the cheapest flight. (30 Dollars saving with Gol) the rest of the flights are much more expensive than Gol, but yes the problem is that land at midnight in SDQ.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Gol is a Brazilian airline that sometimes stops in Santo Domingo on its way to Rio Grande.

Actually they have regular flights from Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo stop in Santo Domingo and Continue to Miami and Orlando.

They will announce more new routes from Santo Domingo to USA and will add more cities to conect to Santo Domingo from Brazil, their plan is to make Santo Domingo their Hub outside of Brazil.

Last edited:

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
I just checked on Gol traveling from May 18 and coming back to MCO on May 26 2013 RD$18,839.50 (US$459.50 round trip.)

JetBlue same dates 490.00 the cheapest flight. (30 Dollars saving with Gol) the rest of the flights are much more expensive than Gol, but yes the problem is that land at midnight in SDQ.

Stupid question, are vehicles leaving the airport in SD still being followed/ targeted? i havent followed any news recently, moving has put a huge stress on me.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
No more news about it one news papers, they have now police running the area and also lights on the highway.

Thanks, if i just send the kids i will not be there with them (of course) and will be a wreck over the what ifs but my mother in law will have a driver and a male friend or two just incase she needs some extra 'help'. IF we do happen to opt for a night time flight. Im thinking to fly from JFK when we go back up north in June then fly them on a different airline back to Orlando.