The Ghetto-ization and Chopo-ization Of Dominican Society

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2005
Mira esa foto. Sadly this behavior and others like it have become far too commonplace in RD. Drugs, out of control tigueraje, wanton littering, etc.

941484_612315058798321_729422167_n.jpg

Are Dominican Yorks to blame? Fatherless households?? I think the pendulum has swung just about far as it can in this direction. Hopefully it is not broken and starts to swing back the other way.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is the drugs and gangster culture from the US propagated by our trashy music and entertainment history, not to mention the thousands and thousands of deportees.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that chick should be jailed. that's child abuse.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
He seems to be smoking a hookah. These are not necessarily used for drugs, most are just flavored water vapor, but still it's a nasty habit to teach to a child

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
He seems to be smoking a hookah. These are not necessarily used for drugs, most are just flavored water vapor, but still it's a nasty habit to teach to a child
Hookahs are huge in the drug cultire, just like waterpipes and bongs used to be. I used to chuckle at how head shops displayed them "for use with your favorite snoking blend" :cheeky:...and now there is "spice."

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I guess that poor ignorant girl thinks she's teaching that baby to be a bad boy. And when being bad is considered cool, everything falls apart in any society. That's what we are facing these days not only in DR, but all over the world.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hookah culture is taking root big time in The DR. Nowadays you see them in almost every bar or just at private parties. Yes they can be used for drugs I guess, but most of the times these are just used for flavored water vapor. Still letting your baby inhale this is fcuked up IMO.

In terms of ghetto-ization of The DR I would say the main reasons are a combination of the fact that nowadays everyone has cable TV so they see American rappers (i.e. Little Wayne, etc), how they dress and act and want to imitate that and "DominicanYorks" who go back (Remember most Dominicans in The US and Europe live in the ghettos) dressing and acting that way, etc...For instance not too long ago Tattoos were still taboo in The DR, but nowadays they have become common place again due to those influences.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
This is not limited in scope to the Dominican Republic. You can pretty much label much of Washington Heights in New York City the same way.

Yes; Washington Heights is a neighborhood in New York City where you will likely find all the Dominicans who were able to cross the border; legally or not.

But this silly behavior doesn't only come from Dominicans. This is rampant stupidity in general.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ghetto-ization I understand
What is chopo-ization ?

Same thing I guess. Chopo(a) in DR1 speak is someone who's ghetto. It's really a degrading word used by the well off to describe their maids, etc...

Do a search for Chopo or Chopa and you'll find tons of threads started by AZB and cohorts. Back in the days (Before religion discussions were allowed on the forum) this topic was as popular as Sankies.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Isn't the Same thing ? People from the ghetto are rarely considered high class.

Anyway, that pic is ****ed up. How is it different from seeing underage drinking ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
back in the day we had this:
osfrd5.jpg

and this:
2la65w8.jpg

so really, i am not even surprised...

Apr 13, 2011
I know the pictured is intended for it to look like the child is smoking from a hookah - and if it is true that the child is being made to smoke tabacco or drugs, then the mother should be jailed.
But - could it be just a vaporizer to help the child with breathing??
When I took my kid to the medical clinic for stitches, there were two other children in the waiting area breathing from vaporizers directly to their mouths to help with breathing or breaking up the chest cold that they had. One had a face mask. The other child was small and the mother held the tube to the child's mouth. The tubes did emit a smoky vapor, so it did look like smoke, but it was a vaporizer.
So - just wondering if it is really just a vaporizer - and the picture was on the web because it looked like the child was smoking from a hookah to get a reaction out of people.

Apr 13, 2011
But I agree that drugs are getting to be more of an issue in the DR. And I really hope a mother is not doing that to her child.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think Chopa would be the tropicalization of shopper, the maid who used to go to the store to shop for food.

I've been around people smoking hookah. It's clumsy, tacky, pointless, awkward, and definitely ghetto, but in most cases in DR it's harmless. no drugs at all.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is a Dominican Problem, NOT someone else's fault!
Dominicans, and "Wannabe" Dominicans can never accept personal responsibility!
That's why thing will never change, only get worse.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.