Sto Dgo vs Buenos Aires tourist crime

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Did you guys see the new NatGeo series - Scam City (Mondays @ 9pm)? The first episode was on Buenos Aires. The passing of counterfeit money around the tourist areas from taxi drivers to street vendors is big business. Then there are the black widows - prostitutes that slip something into your drink (Sto Dgo style) that would put you to sleep in 2 mins. She would then clean you and your room out. The last piece was on how they pick your pockets/wallet. Masters at what they do. Re counterfeiting - everyone from the police to the judges to the politicos are in.

No wonder we consider DR to be 'safe'.

Next episode, Monday, 5/6, at 9 (I think) is on Prague.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Although I normally do not watch tv, with the possible exception of the Colbert Report, I did watch Scam City last night. Counterfeiting to the max, making DR's fake 2000 peso note child's play in comparison!

JoseArzabalceta

Mar 6, 2012
Argentina,Brazil,Mexico,Colombia and Peru share the same Crime problem (reasons for that belong to some other forum) Tourist scams are to be found all over the world. Argentina's crime problems have been HIGHLIGHTED for a while in due of their political stand against the IMF (international monetary fund), the Malvinas vs Falklands and the hostile goverment adquisition to the british petroleum company.
That was enough to become classified as the "BAD COUNTRY" of America Latina.
Buenos Aires is one of my favorites cities in the world: impressive arquitecture,culture events everywhere,
large and juicy steaks, exquisite red wine, delicious pasta and most important.. the highest rate of beautiful women. No jocking, a walk along the financial district at 5PM and you'll think it's a supermodels parade coming out of every building. Anyone visiting London during summertime could multiply that for two and you'll get Argentina's rate of beautiful women.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
They might rob you in the DR but they are not interested in kidnapping you. These places are truly dangerous for Gringos. I always wanted to go to Rio but this makes it scary.

LTSteve

Feb 7, 2007
The first link posted will try to install a program called RegClean Pro and then Advanced System Protection.

Be very careful with this. Definitely not recommended..

It is a clean download, don't click like crazy on everything that moves (pops up) where you should not ...if you do, your fault. I have an andbloicker and popup-blocker so it does not bother me.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Did you guys see the new NatGeo series - Scam City (Mondays @ 9pm)? The first episode was on Buenos Aires. The passing of counterfeit money around the tourist areas from taxi drivers to street vendors is big business. Then there are the black widows - prostitutes that slip something into your drink (Sto Dgo style) that would put you to sleep in 2 mins. She would then clean you and your room out. The last piece was on how they pick your pockets/wallet. Masters at what they do. Re counterfeiting - everyone from the police to the judges to the politicos are in.

No wonder we consider DR to be 'safe'.

Next episode, Monday, 5/6, at 9 (I think) is on Prague.

I have spent a decent amount of time in BA. For a few years we "lived" there for a month or two each year.

I have only ever had CC clones twice. Both times in BA. I am 85% sure Marriott Hotel Plaza was where it took place.

We have gotten fake bills a few times.

The last time was the worst. We booked an apt online and they required 1,000 USD deposit for security, in CASH, in USD.
I explained that we were coming from Brasil and would not have dollars, and could we just do equivalent in Pesos. They said sure. Then when we got there, the actual owner of apartment said no, needs USD. It sure seemed strange as they would just be giving it back in 30 days or so..

We check out, and the owner peels off a grand to y novia. Novia gets home and tries to change it for pesos and deposit. One of the hundred dollar bills was fake.

As for hookers drugging people, never heard of that but many of the hookers are from DR, or at least they were. Now dominicans require visa.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Argentina,Brazil,Mexico,Colombia and Peru share the same Crime problem (reasons for that belong to some other forum) Tourist scams are to be found all over the world. Argentina's crime problems have been HIGHLIGHTED for a while in due of their political stand against the IMF (international monetary fund), the Malvinas vs Falklands and the hostile goverment adquisition to the british petroleum company.
That was enough to become classified as the "BAD COUNTRY" of America Latina.
Buenos Aires is one of my favorites cities in the world: impressive arquitecture,culture events everywhere,
large and juicy steaks, exquisite red wine, delicious pasta and most important.. the highest rate of beautiful women. No jocking, a walk along the financial district at 5PM and you'll think it's a supermodels parade coming out of every building. Anyone visiting London during summertime could multiply that for two and you'll get Argentina's rate of beautiful women.

You think that's the reason(s) why Argentina is being singled out - the 'west' is out to get them? Mexico, Brazil and Colombia, among other LA countries, have gotten their fair share of bad press (from internal crime killings to kipnappings to gerillas wars), as well as, warnings to tourists to stay off certain areas in cities like Rio, Sto Dgo...Is the IMF out to get them too? wow! then again you might be onto something. I used to think like you in my younger years but now I am too busy to look into these theories.

Although I normally do not watch tv, with the possible exception of the Colbert Report, I did watch Scam City last night. Counterfeiting to the max, making DR's fake 2000 peso note child's play in comparison!

I did not know this ? fake 2000 pesos? Really? I am not kidding guys, then again I do not frequent DR that often and when I do (I prefer dos XX ? jk) and when I do I get my cash from ATMs or straight from a teller (I do have to take my baseball cap off as I walk in but I keep my gun on me ? what a country!). Do 2000 bills even exist? I have to ask my uncle/mom about this? thanks for the tip.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I did not know this – fake 2000 pesos? Really? I am not kidding guys, then again I do not frequent DR that often and when I do (I prefer dos XX – jk) and when I do I get my cash from ATMs or straight from a teller (I do have to take my baseball cap off as I walk in but I keep my gun on me – what a country!). Do 2000 bills even exist? I have to ask my uncle/mom about this… thanks for the tip.

Counterfeit RD$2000 is REAL!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
To avoid any potential arguments and problems-please don't post links to any downloading sites.

Thank you.

Another thing-though this topic may be of interest to many, I will again let members with less than 500 posts who are not eligible to read anything in the Off-Topic forum, where this thread definitely belongs, know that content not DR-related will either be moved to the aforementioned section or closed.

The other thing is, I've seen the whole "Scam City" series up to now. Santo Domingo was never featured in any of the episodes. I don't see at all how this thread is pertinent to the DR. So either move it to that direction or it will be closed.

Regards,
Berzin

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, some people actually believe what they see on TV????????????????????
Not very much "Reality", in "Reality TV"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, some people actually believe what they see on TV????????????????????
Not very much "Reality", in "Reality TV"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Same goes for the internet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rmx4twCK3_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>...................

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Berzin - 1st, at no time did I mentioned or alluded to Sto Dgo being mention in the program. I was just making a comparison and in my own way saying how much safer Sto Dgo is when compared to other cities such as Buenos Aires. 2nd, eventhough according to you this have nothing to do with DR, it certainly got people reading the post (over 400 views) and talking about, guess what about? the DR. I for one learnt that there are fake 2000 bills in circulation in DR. 3rd lighten up a bit if a subject is off topic but gets people talking, let it be. Moderate but dont Dictate. Some of us just want to share ideas, experiences, general things that we can learn from one another.

CC - you are right not everything on TV or the Internet are true. I usually just see it as entertainment but every so often there are bits of truth in some of these shows.

Have a great weekend all. The next round of Presidente is on me. I hope to one day meet some of you. Later, PO

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The rules of the forum are clear. The number of views doesn't change that.

Have any issues? Send a pm to Robert and he'll reiterate the same.

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They might rob you in the DR but they are not interested in kidnapping you. These places are truly dangerous for Gringos. I always wanted to go to Rio but this makes it scary.

Wasn't an expat kidnapped a few years ago in Sosua?

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Buenos Aries does have some serious crime. Then again so does every city in the world. BA has gone through the strains of the economic collapse The is a guy who blogs about the crime there his name is FERFAL. His blog is very interesting and talks about how Argentina went from an industrialized nation into a third world nation