Solar Panel Thefts

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
AlterEgo brought up the risk of solar panels and components being stolen. Does anyone have stories and/or solutions (short of suggesting that I never leave home) regarding the problem?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A frequent happening in these parts - Cabrera...... in most cases, there is no security. AE mentioned she had no security.

You need dogs and a watchman.... IMO

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Dogs and surround the panels with razor wire. The more obviously difficult you make to get to the panels the more likely the thieves will pick an easier target.

For goodness sake do not use clips, bolt every thing down to well anchored supports, use extra bolts and if you can double nut and even better, tamper resistant bolts and breakaway nuts.

anything to make it more difficult and more time to try to remove them.

g'luck

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Stories? The one that made up our mind for us was a theft not far from us. It was a 3-story house, tamper resistant bolts, etc., and they still robbed them. We've got a 1-story house, a piece of cake for crooks.

My sister-in-law said that massive solar panels were stolen off the roof of one of the universities in Santo Domingo, I forget which one she said.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if dominicans could steal a statue of neptuno from POP's malecon overnight they can steal anything. solar panels are no challenge for them. my BIL was robbed on a christmas day, when we were all having a dinner at in-laws house. he came back home and saw the thieves cut the bars in windows and entered inside. they stole money and all the new clothing he got and did not have time to put in the wardrobe yet...

robbers do not sleep, they do not celebrate holidays, they do not respect the living and the dead. and they have typical dominican ingenuity that always surprises me. :)

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
There is no doubt about the ability of Dominican thieves, or thieves anywhere, but understand theft proof is nearly impossible anywhere, the best we can do is make it as difficult as we can, so unfortunately the thieves pick easier targets.

So sad but true, We have to make somebody else look more appealing to rob... that's the name of the game, right?

g'luck

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
ROFL. After so many years... so many posts... so many about security... so many DON'T GET IT.

simplyme

May 3, 2013
ya fine having the dogs around the solor pannel is one good idea but speaking about dogs which dog and how many of them needed to guard a solor pannels in my farm