AVERAGE real estate commission?

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
We are looking into buying another property in the DR and was wondering what the average commission would be for a townhome (attached/ with HOA) with a sale price of $210,000? The developer wants to strike a deal since there would be no local real estate "salesperson*" involved.

Our excellent real estate attorney in the DR mentioned "5% - 10%".

However, in my experience as a real estate Broker in the People's Republic of California, 10% is paid out on dirt deals, average is 5-6% on single-family homes.

Is there anyone in the real estate business in the DR who would know or make an educated guess?

*LOL since it's not a licensed profession in the DR

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In my case I didn't pay the guy I hired, he got his share of the selling agent (half of 5%).

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
We charge 6%...period, not a penny more or a penny less. It's the same as in the US. Unless, of course, the property is worth more than US $2 million in which case the commission goes down (as it should) in a stairstep fashion to 3%. Anyone who charges more is just ripping you off! (IMHO)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It seems to vary within realtors here in the DR. I have used a few and they charge anywhere from 7-10% depending on what type of support they are giving you. Some foreign realtors will use European sources to get you exposure.

LTSteve

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I would have thought the seller should be giving you a discount, since in my experience it would be he who would pay any agent.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Why would you pay any comission if you are dealing directly with the developer and there is no third party involved?

LTSteve

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Sellers actually pay the commission (typically) but let's not kid ourselves here. The buyer is forking over the money to the seller who is using some of it to pay the commission...so it could be argued that the buyer is paying the commission. But I tend to look at it as the seller pays commission since, after all, the seller is probably the one who listed the property so s/he is the one "engaging the agent."

7% to 10% is high for commission.

mainegal

May 22, 2012
I'm not 100% positive about in DR but here in the US the seller is always the one to pay the commission.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not 100% positive about in DR but here in the US the seller is always the one to pay the commission.

Not true.... in many states there are 'selling' agents and 'buying' agents.... a clear definition between the two.

I always prefer a buyer's agent......

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bought, and sold, a few houses in the USA.
NEVER had a "Buyers Agent", they all worked for the seller because they got paid by the seller.
As a buyer, the agent shows you homes that he has listed, for the seller.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mainegal

May 22, 2012
Not true.... in many states there are 'selling' agents and 'buying' agents.... a clear definition between the two.

I always prefer a buyer's agent......
The difference between a sellers agent is they represent the seller, the buyers agent represents the buyer. Or sometimes you can have a disclosed dual agent that may represent both sides. Either way, it is the seller that pays the commission.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have been that 'disclosed' dual....no conflict.

Many buyers spend so much time with the agent (more than the seller does) that they get the relationships confused --- who works for who.

In my 'dual' role, I took checks from each side for the commission - 50/50.
I understand in the US that the seller pays.

As for those "Doubting Tom's" who have bought many times.... the advantage to having a buyer's agent is that will warn you of pitfalls, etc... actually look ouit for your interests..

Doubtful still??
Is 'your' agent really working for you? (Page 1 of 2)