importing a car and/or shipping container

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I have searched the posts but am still confused:

What are the advantages / differences in sending a car and household goods if you are a returning Dominican versus a new resident? I read somewhere that a returning Dominican does not need to have owed the car for one year.

Under what circumstances can you send a car or motorcycle over 5 years old? I read that the limit has been changed to 10 years.

Can cars be sent within a container?

Is there a list of things that can be brought in duty free?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I can answer 'some' of the questions, we're in the middle of this.

A car can be sent either inside a container, or outside, only difference is the cost.

I believe you are correct, the returning Dominican doesn't need to own the car for a year, I also have been told they don't even have to register it in the US, all they need is the signed title/a bill of sale proving ownership. [Not 100% sure about that]. This is a one-time thing for the Dominican.

The returning Dominican is also entitled to a container of belongings. Each box must be labeled with each and every item that's in that particular box. They will be opened and checked. I don't believe there are exemptions to what you can bring, except the obvious illegal items like firearms.

I also read about the 10 year limit on car age, but haven't found anything in writing.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
I can answer 'some' of the questions, we're in the middle of this.

A car can be sent either inside a container, or outside, only difference is the cost.

I believe you are correct, the returning Dominican doesn't need to own the car for a year, I also have been told they don't even have to register it in the US, all they need is the signed title/a bill of sale proving ownership. [Not 100% sure about that]. This is a one-time thing for the Dominican.

The returning Dominican is also entitled to a container of belongings. Each box must be labeled with each and every item that's in that particular box. They will be opened and checked. I don't believe there are exemptions to what you can bring, except the obvious illegal items like firearms.

I also read about the 10 year limit on car age, but haven't found anything in writing.

last i heard its still the same but as of now you can still squeak a 2007 in

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
This is all so confusing. Can someone recommend a good honest NYC facilitator / shipper who knows all the rules. I wonder if a chevy suburban would fit in a container. Ms. Ego please keep updating, this is perhaps the most important information on DR1 (other than Sankie info).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is all so confusing. Can someone recommend a good honest NYC facilitator / shipper who knows all the rules. I wonder if a chevy suburban would fit in a container. Ms. Ego please keep updating, this is perhaps the most important information on DR1 (other than Sankie info).

I've been told the containers are either 20' or 40', so either would easily house a Suburban. You can't ship anything inside the car.

Jan 9, 2004

Luperon:

Unless you have some compelling reason to container the car, it is less expensive to use the RoRo method of shipment.
RORO stands for roll-on roll-off. Simply put, they drive the vehicle on and off the boat. Save a container fee for household contents.

Also, the post above by Derfish was pretty spot on. While a 20 foot container is, of course, 20 feet, the inside dimension is another story. 19.4' inside. Chevy suburban is 18' 6.5." That is a tight fit, but that is not the only problem. Width of the container is 7' 7". The suburban is 6'7" wide. Assuming you center the vehicle, you are left with six inches on either side to get in/out of the vehicle...and that is not much to exit the vehicle...even for the slenderest of port workers.

With such minimal clearance levels, you also run the risk of damage internally should the vehicle shift in the container. Bottom line....not a good idea.

If it is any consideration, my clients who are dealers in the US and the DR ship everything RORO. I personally have sent vehicles RORO to Santo Domingo with no problems..the latest of which leaves next week.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2