Shipping a Container

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My lawyer seems a little unsure of this.

Cedula will be picked up Monday.

My question is this: what is the procedure for securing the one-time duty exemption for household goods? It's not through Immigration.

What's the drill?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wouldn't it be the DGA? Aduanas? and probably DGII (Rentas Internas)...Just speculating, since I never had the money to take advantage of this...

I am imagining that this will be a really exciting tale that you will video and keep tabs of (Or Alida will)...can't wait to see it...

It could be a winner on YouTube...

HB

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Go to www.dga.gov.do

Download "Requisitos Para Beneficios de Exonoraci?n de Ajuares del Hogar y Efectos Personales" and "Mudanzas Importadas Bajo el Amparo de la Ley 146-00 art. 13, inciso D" documents.

Read, understand, and follow instructions carefully.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Depending on your shipping company. Ours did all the work for us. We had to appear at the "who know what office" in person to apply and fill out the paper work. A long day but again the shipping company helped us through this. When the container arrived the shipping company was there for the inspection and we did not go to the port to watch. All was well, nothing was lost or stolen and our "tax" bill was in excess of $5000US. After the exoneration was applied it was $495 USD. They dinged us for 3 TVs but we only had the allotted two. Not worth arguing with considering all the things we brought that probably were no allowed "tax free"

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If two people bring in containers with exactly the same items under the same laws using the same shipping company they would be likely to have different results.

mamichula613

May 9, 2013
you will not having an easy time nor save money by shipping from outside the country. took me over a week to get my container out. by that point half my stuff had been stolen and then I had to pay bribes to the shop workers, the middle man, his friends, and the aduana. I will NEVER ship again its a nightmare! oh and don't use seaboard marine....they are thieves!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
you will not having an easy time nor save money by shipping from outside the country. took me over a week to get my container out. by that point half my stuff had been stolen and then I had to pay bribes to the shop workers, the middle man, his friends, and the aduana. I will NEVER ship again its a nightmare! oh and don't use seaboard marine....they are thieves!
What port did you use, when did you ship the container and who did you hire as a Customs Broker?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My shipment was easy.... Caucedo is the port to use , POP and Haina = NO.

Even the Aduana gave us all a lecture on how to handle POP..... don't pay 100 pesos to go onto the dock - its free, etc.

Get a good broker to guide you (Hispaniola Freight).

Yes, it takes time to clear - my box was locked unless I was there to have it opened.
Can be 2 -3 trips before its over - more w/ a vehicle..... aduana, placa, etc.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My shipment was easy.... Caucedo is the port to use , POP and Haina = NO.

Even the Aduana gave us all a lecture on how to handle POP..... don't pay 100 pesos to go onto the dock - its free, etc.

Get a good broker to guide you (Hispaniola Freight).

Yes, it takes time to clear - my box was locked unless I was there to have it opened.
Can be 2 -3 trips before its over - more w/ a vehicle..... aduana, placa, etc.
The company I'm thinking about using goes into Caucedo. They say they have solid contacts there, as well as a customs broker they've used often in the past.

My experience at Haina in '08 was bad enough to blackball any shipper who sends a ship there.

I heard POP isn't nearly as bad as haina, but maybe they are worse than Caucedo.

mamichula613

May 9, 2013
I shipped to Boca Chica that was my first mistake. I should have known better as I am familiar with that area but it was the closest port seaboard marine would ship to punta cana. the broker we were to use was with seaboard marine. he stole our landing papers and then wanted 14,000rd to get them back. took me 3 days. when I spoke with head office in florida , boca chica told them I was lying and I had hired him on my own accord. after a lot of freaking out I finally got my papers back but not before he had stolen what he wanted and then about 10 other people stole items and then demanded bribes to take what was left of my stuff. they wouldn't let 5 of my boxes "pass". Oh yeah like I said....never again

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
My lawyer seems a little unsure of this.

Cedula will be picked up Monday.

My question is this: what is the procedure for securing the one-time duty exemption for household goods? It's not through Immigration.

What's the drill?

Once you know the drill please keep us posted on your progress.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The company I'm thinking about using goes into Caucedo. They say they have solid contacts there, as well as a customs broker they've used often in the past.

My experience at Haina in '08 was bad enough to blackball any shipper who sends a ship there.

I heard POP isn't nearly as bad as haina, but maybe they are worse than Caucedo.

Haina or POP - avoid both.

I can't remember how it all happened.... I think the broker handled it ...... your goods arrive and you fill the 'first time' form.... maybe, can't recall.

Ask your broker