La Comai: a nice place to eat in Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The tiny restaurant that features the most Dominican of foods--run by the owners of El Conuco in Santo Domingo--is moving to larger quarters across the street. They will feature perhaps a half a dozen outside tables as well as indoor facilities. Outdoors will be under umbrellas and the tables are large and made out of old cable carriages.
You can't miss it, on the corner of Metropolitana and Rep del L?bano in Los Jardines Metropolitanos. As soon as I can, I will post the phone number. And a picture or two....

Seems like an interesting option at attractive prices.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"HB", what's your take on "Mariscos Center"???
I have been there a few times and got good sea food at "OK" prices.
We selected what we wanted from the fish market down stairs, and they cooked it to order.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CC: I ate there a while ago and it was alright. I have also heard some "stories"...but that is not a place I frequent. I can do better buying the fish and cooking it at home..as you might suspect.

Pollo: Their theme is "Dominicana" and there is no attempt at "exquisite" or "cool-mod" or "uppityness". It is a down to earth place to eat and drink...
Most of old Santiago comes and goes...

HB

May 12, 2005
"HB", what's your take on "Mariscos Center"???
I have been there a few times and got good sea food at "OK" prices.
We selected what we wanted from the fish market down stairs, and they cooked it to order.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Marisco Centro? Slighty overpriced with so so food.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

With very little restaurants with good category in Santiago, I said Mariscos Centro is OK restaurants to go to if you are with good friends that can finish bottle of whiskey on spot. I think they have changed their chef few months back because food testes different from past. Yes the food is still can be good one time and mediocre at best next time you visit and if you are coming from coasts where you guys have fresh seafood restaurants everywhere, you guys will be HEAVILY disappointed but those who lives in central part of island the place is god sent place for variety of seafood. When I went there earlier I had them bring me a surf and turf, Churrasco and Lobster tail but now we just order Chef's seafood selection and sopa de mariscos to start and and finish with Chuurasco sometimes with arroz con mariscos.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
The tiny restaurant that features the most Dominican of foods--run by the owners of El Conuco in Santo Domingo--is moving to larger quarters across the street. They will feature perhaps a half a dozen outside tables as well as indoor facilities. Outdoors will be under umbrellas and the tables are large and made out of old cable carriages.
You can't miss it, on the corner of Metropolitana and Rep del L?bano in Los Jardines Metropolitanos. As soon as I can, I will post the phone number. And a picture or two....

Seems like an interesting option at attractive prices.

HB
Thanks HB...
Perhaps this place can be place to have "that" authentic Dominican food my wife was seeking for? She's been wanting to try but I tend to go another route. Like No. 3 at Wendy's on past weekend.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

Agree on overprice! My place is down the block and I became addicted to their asopao de marisco. I had it so much that now I can't even go by the place when I am in Santiago LOL