Unbelievable agriculture find in the DR

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I drove by my street vendor but caught a glimpse of little black avocados that made me screech the brakes and yell out "Que son esos!?!?!" and he told me a new type of aguacate criollo.. So I said give me 5 of them and noticed they are the good old fashioned hass avocados I loved back in the US. Now Mexican food can finally be done properly again.

15 pesos each off of JPD in Santiago.. Good luck finding anymore!

llkfd2urh

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Fanastic news! If anyone spots on North Coast, please sing out!

I saw another thread about fresh jalape?os being sold, too.

Anyone see New Mexican Chilies? I bring dried ones in from Hatch, NM and they are quite excellent for guacamole and most dishes. But fresh would allow chili rellanos.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anyone see New Mexican Chilies? I bring dried ones in from Hatch, NM and they are quite excellent for guacamole and most dishes. But fresh would allow chili rellanos.

In 10 years I have never seen those here. The closest thing is the normal medium sized green peppers that are available almost everywhere. Perhaps you could invent a hybrid recipe.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
In 10 years I have never seen those here. The closest thing is the normal medium sized green peppers that are available almost everywhere. Perhaps you could invent a hybrid recipe.
I wish. They do look similar in size, shape and color, but unfortunately those peppers are so different in texture and taste that they are not useful in Mexican dishes.