Water filter ?

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Does anyone use a water filter either whole house or a stand alone. We currently use bottled water but am thinking of getting a berkey water filter.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In Moca there is a company which makes one with an aluminized clay filter. THey are mostly sold as I understand it to volunteer groups to give to haitians who actually dip theirdrinking water out of the river and filter it that way.

Just yesterday our new neighbor in NJ told me that someone makes these in Jarabacoa too. Anyone know more about them? Do they work? Cost??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
the company in jarabacoa is filterpure (https://www.facebook.com/filterpurefilters). it's an NGO run by expats and they do work with peace corps and other NGOs. I think they cost 20 bucks.

Thanks for the link, when I was looking through the photos there's one that says:

"Filterpure Filters
Like This Page ? April 26

Do you know Radhames Carela? If the answer to this is no, then you need to get to know him. Radhames is our production manager in the DR. He is my partner in this water filter project and has been a part of it since the beginning. We developed the filter together, and this man has given his life to changing the water of the world. Get to know him and his family as the true Dominican heart. Come and visit him in the factory in Higuerito Moca, the Dominican Republic."

So it appears that the same people are making them in Moca and Jarabacoa.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Robeyda Filter Santiago, Padre de las Casas, sell all types of waterfilters and equipment. US prices+ 100%

May 20, 2012
If one is only using it for drinking/cooking, seems like it is expensive to buy filter (purchase+maintenance) vs buying water at RD$25-30 each.

Unless there is something wrong with the water being sold in the 5 gallon bottles???? I have wondered if brand matters, too.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If one is only using it for drinking/cooking, seems like it is expensive to buy filter (purchase+maintenance) vs buying water at RD$25-30 each.

This was my conclusion way back when I was looking for some kind of filtered water system for my rented house. Unless I am doing some kind of commercial work, I would stay with buying bottle, and hope Cascada is doing a good job filtering their water.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Unless there is something wrong with the water being sold in the 5 gallon bottles???? I have wondered if brand matters, too.

I have a SIL who's a pharmacist and health nut....she's told us not to buy bottled water except Cristal or Planeta Azul. She even had our well water tested [we didn't ask her to, she's just very cautious for everyone she cares about].

Being a bit of a skeptic myself, I also fill a Brita pitcher with the bottled water to filter it again for drinking.

If I were a man, they'd say I wear a belt AND suspenders.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have a SIL who's a pharmacist and health nut....she's told us not to buy bottled water except Cristal or Planeta Azul. She even had our well water tested [we didn't ask her to, she's just very cautious for everyone she cares about].

Being a bit of a skeptic myself, I also fill a Brita pitcher with the bottled water to filter it again for drinking.

If I were a man, they'd say I wear a belt AND suspenders.
Any company that uses RO to filter water will be fine. There is a Dominican agency that comes unannounced for samples. I recall one being shut down a while ago. Additionally, most will test your water for a nominal charge.

We cook with well water (if something has to be boiled), but drink with filtered water.

No problems.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Over 10 years old.

Two filters and UV purification. Our is large due to our needs. Plumbed into ALL indoor plumbing. Lab samples show 99.8% pure. That's better the US epa standards. Needs dedicated full time power but consumes very little. Easy to change the UV bulb. We did have a chlorinator to pump into the cistern but that broke so now just a couple of pool tablets a month.

I've seen similar UV units in Santiago and Santo Domingo and the larger department/hardware stores. Easy to install and not that expensive. Over 10 years and NEVER had anyone sick from our water.

29g0v7s.jpg

Last edited: