Help with unethical lawyers

StephC

May 5, 2013
I know this isn't news, but I need some help in sorting this out.
I have had some problems with a local lawyer, one who was referred to me by a local friend and business man, who told me this lawyer did all the residencies for his employees.
A lawyer whom I paid for a residency about two years ago.
I still do not have my residency, or any papers for that matter. All I have is a receipt from the firm, and some documents from when I went to get my medical tests done.
After all the B.S. and his promises, I finally wen to Santo Domingo to the Colegio de Abogados to get my money back or my cedula.
What a circus! First we find out from speaking to the firm that appears on the receipt that the lawyer does NOT WORK THERE, and I placed the fiscal o the phone with the owner of this firm who seemed pretty ****ed off that this loser stole his book of receipts. Then he admits that he did not deposit the documents, but that he just found out- 22 months later- that I was missing a document which I know was in the files, he probably lost it.
He is finally told that he should return my money, but we need to go back next month so that he has time to get a list together of all his expenses!!!!
So I ask the fiscal about my expenses, and I am told that I need to hire a lawyer and sue him! GREAT!
No one wants to sue him because they think he has 'connections' in Higuey and they want no trouble. But really how much will the lawsuit cost me? another couple of thousand dollars?
The fiscal said that he agrees with me, that he did not do the right thing, but that he did not do it in a deceitful way. OH REALLY I mean just for stealing the book of receipts he should be disbarred. And by the way his Lawyer card had expired over 3 years ago.
What kind of joke is this?
I get scammed, I go to an organization who is supposed to help, and basically the guy walks out laughing in my face! Then the fiscal tells me that next time I should call their offices first to get credentials. OF WHAT ?? more scammers?
Doesn't matter I have invested in this country, which is now making me totally disgusted to the point that I want to leave and not continue investing. I would love to leave BUT GUESS WHAT?? It's hard to sell a half a million dollar property when your developer has issues with unpaid taxes and you cant get a dammed title!
Does anyone ever get any justice done? Or have I just invested too little?
Is there anywhere else I can go to get justice or was I just scammed and sucked into buying with false advertising? This was supposed to be my retirement home and its become a nightmare!
That's just great!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have had some problems with a local lawyer, one who was referred to me by a local friend and business man, who told me this lawyer did all the residencies for his employees.
I still do not have my residency, or any papers for that matter. All I have is a receipt from the firm, and some documents from when I went to get my medical tests done.
After all the B.S. and his promises, I finally wen to Santo Domingo to the Colegio de Abogados to get my money back or my cedula.
What a circus! First we find out from speaking to the firm that appears on the receipt that the lawyer does NOT WORK THERE, and I placed the fiscal o the phone with the owner of this firm who seemed pretty ****ed off that this loser stole his book of receipts. Then he admits that he did not deposit the documents, but that he just found out- 22 months later- that I was missing a document which I know was in the files, he probably lost it.
He is finally told that he should return my money, but we need to go back next month so that he has time to get a list together of all his expenses!!!!
So I ask the fiscal about my expenses, and I am told that I need to hire a lawyer and sue him! GREAT!
No one wants to sue him because they think he has 'connections' in Higuey and they want no trouble. But really how much will the lawsuit cost me? another couple of thousand dollars?
The fiscal said that he agrees with me, that he did not do the right thing, but that he did not do it in a deceitful way. OH REALLY I mean just for stealing the book of receipts he should be disbarred. And by the way his Lawyer card had expired over 3 years ago.
I get scammed, I go to an organization who is supposed to help, and basically the guy walks out laughing in my face! Then the fiscal tells me that next time I should call their offices first to get credentials. OF WHAT ?? more scammers?
Doesn't matter I have invested in this country, which is now making me totally disgusted to the point that I want to leave and not continue investing. I would love to leave BUT GUESS WHAT?? It's hard to sell a half a million dollar property when your developer has issues with unpaid taxes and you cant get a dammed title!
Is there anywhere else I can go to get justice or was I just scammed and sucked into buying with false advertising? This was supposed to be my retirement home and its become a nightmare!
That's just great!

I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

But problems with real estate and lawyers are common in the DR. This is one of the reasons why so many on this message board urge not to invest or hire a lawyer without first due a lot of checking. And this message board is a good place to start the checking.

I am assuming your "friend" is a Dominican businessman. I hope he is really a friend and not part of the scam.

Just because a lawyer does good work for a local businessman does not mean he will do the same for a foreigner. You are most certainly not the only one who has paid a lawyer to get your residency, then not get it.

There are not many lawyers recommended by people on this message, and those that are have done good work for us gringos.

Myself, the only law firm i will use or recommend is the one owned by Fabio Guzman, which has offices in a number of locations.

It sounds like the lawyers who will not take your case are lawyers practicing in the same community.

Here is a link to the Guzman website. Click on"locations" to see where the nearest office is. You can click on "contact us" and send them message explaining the help you need and see whether they will help you.

Dominican Attorneys | Guzman Ariza Law Firm in the Dominican Republic

Fabio Guzman monitors this section, but don't depend on that. Send them a message, the first response won't cost you anything, and see what they say.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
That's just great!
Just bad luck. Find a good lawyer here is like playing roulette. Red or black. 50%chance

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I dont know how much money you gave this clown but it may be better to write it off. Lawyers are expert thieves and will have you thrown in jail in a minute, usually they are friends with local judges etc.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Okay, first off, welcome to DR1 and the "entertainment" that is life in the Dominican Republic. As my signature t-shirt declares, "Just Remember Where You Are..."

Second, forget suing. It's a complete waste of time. The justice system here is, quite frankly, not just by any stretch of our non-Dominican imaginations. I've even caught people red-handed stealing from me, sued and still have the damn thing sitting in dry dock years later. It's pretty much a place where you need to monitor carefully what you do, check twice (or thrice) on everything and never, ever trust someone else with money or assets (lawyer or otherwise).

I also use Guzman Ariza (Sosua) as well as Garcia Blanco (Cabarete) pretty much exclusively but no one, not even them, are perfect. But, they are the best...I have no doubt about that at all. I'd highly recommend them to help get you back into the mode of "I am glad I invested here and am having a good time." They are stellar.

Third, write off what you have spent. Hire the lawyers above and be amazed as the rest of us as to how they cut the crap and get the job done for you. Obtaining a residency here is not rocket science but skanky shysters will definitely make you think it is and scam you accordingly. Actually very little here is complicated...people make it complicated to extract more $$$ from your pocket.

Fourth, grab a Presidente and go walk on a pristine beach without a soul to pester you. Unwind, life is too short to get your panties in a bunch!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes, sadly stealing and lying are not considered crimes in the DR, they are actually taught from a young age as a means to income. If you try to make sense these pitfalls or expect justice in the DR you will be forever dissapointed in your new home.

Taxes are less here than the 1st world in most cases, consider it a new tax and learning curve!

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I still do not have my residency, its become a nightmare!
That's just great!

If you want to engage in business in a foreign country you have to do double due diligence.
Learn about the country, it's systems and people before you leap in.
It's just common sense. Even in your home country you have to know what you are doing.
I agree with Ken.
I have had great service from Guzman Ariza and surprisingly payed less than other lawyers would have charged.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Ethical and lawyers are two words that dont go together...

We have the same problem here.. anther problem is they know the law better and for example here have drinks with the DA during happy hours.. Yes you can take it too court but in the end you will lose a lot of money..

From this forum it seems that Guzman Ariza is reliable.. Check with him