No collard greens in Puerto Plata

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
Ive searched high and low but there are no collard greens in Pop. No turnips also. And no Kentucky fried chicken. We have a Burger King,Pizza hut, and Dominoes. I miss KFC. Nearest KFC is in Santiago. One good Chinese place here but I cook my own Chinese. Guess I may have to grow my own collards and turnips with permission of customs of course. Just a thought....Jax....:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
god bless you if your biggest issue with food here is the lack of nasty plastic chain stores serving nasty plastic food.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I don't see why a garden crop wouldn't do exceedingly well out there. They grow like weeds, can be harvested all year, and are very good for you.

As far as fried chicken, look for a Pica Pollo. It's actually tastier than KFC, and much cheaper.

To fulfill the stereotype (and ignore the fact the foods being discussed are universally popular), watermelon is abundant - and quite cheap.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For a place with a year long growing season the lack of variety in fruits and vegetable is quite lacking.

Dominos pizza? DOMINOS PIZZA? Even in the US, the box tastes as good as the pizza.

But the chicken here, as DV8 mentioned, is really good. At least for me.

Jan 17, 2009
Where I am, the trucks never ever come. I got to go hunting for good fruit. The quality and variety of fruit at Janet's suck.

But we do get kale grown locally (and organic) every now and then.

What fruit are you looking for you cannot find? There are even apples being sold out of the backs of pick up trucks in our neighbor hood. But I eat fruits here I never heard of before and am sure I'll have to go without in Maine. Zapote. Ever bought it in the USA. ever taske anything like it, although I call it toad tea as in sapo te.
Der Fish

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Ive searched high and low but there are no collard greens in Pop. No turnips also. And no Kentucky fried chicken. We have a Burger King,Pizza hut, and Dominoes. I miss KFC. Nearest KFC is in Santiago. One good Chinese place here but I cook my own Chinese. Guess I may have to grow my own collards and turnips with permission of customs of course. Just a thought....Jax....:)

We bought some organic collard greens the other week in Playero in Sosua.There were in in a clear packet up on the top,pretty good too and about 70 pesos

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I'm still trying to find some oranges that don't look like they've been used in someone's baseball batting practice. My kids will not eat the brownish things here they call oranges no matter how much I beg them.

SHALENA

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
But I eat fruits here I never heard of before and am sure I'll have to go without in Maine. Zapote. Ever bought it in the USA. ever taske anything like it,

My favorite is chinolas (don't know if that is the correct spelling). Never had them before going to the DR, and cannot find them in US.

Jan 3, 2003
god bless you if your biggest issue with food here is the lack of nasty plastic chain stores serving nasty plastic food.

DV8-you might be able to help me out with this. I don't know if this is an Eastern European dish but do you know if anywhere in the DR they serve cabbage and turnip soup? If I am mistaken with the ingredients, then please correct me.

Thanks-

My wife is making a garden with collards, kale and many greens that aren't here or hard to find. She freaked when she couldn't find them here.
I do find it strange that the fruit that i have found is awful tasting. I guess i haven't ventured to the back of the trucks....It creeps me out but i guess that's where the best stuff is!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
But I eat fruits here I never heard of before and am sure I'll have to go without in Maine. Zapote. Ever bought it in the USA. ever taske anything like it,

My favorite is chinolas (don't know if that is the correct spelling). Never had them before going to the DR, and cannot find them in US.

I had Passion fruit for the first time in DR as well. Now I am an addicted to its taste.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DV8-you might be able to help me out with this. I don't know if this is an Eastern European dish but do you know if anywhere in the DR they serve cabbage and turnip soup? If I am mistaken with the ingredients, then please correct me.

cabbage and turnip soup? in poland we have a sauerkraut soup - kapuśniak - and i make it here whenever we manage to find sauerkraut. in some eastern european countries fresh cabbage is used.
Kapusniak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i do not think you will find it anywhere in DR apart from our home :) there is, i hear, a small cafe run by polaks in cabarete, on kite beach. there is a group of polish surfers living in that area. maybe they have some polish dishes?
i can post the recipe, if you want. otherwise let me know if you ever visit POP and i will try to make some - providing i find sauerkraut in playero. last time we went there we bought nearly every jar they had :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

chinola is passion fruit and it is available in many places now, poland included. so i am pretty sure you can find it in the US. but quite often when i see a recipe calling for passion fruit a different type than DR is used. in here you find quite large, smooth yellow fruits. as they ripe they wrinkle but usually they are sold as freshly picked. in his recipes jamie olivier uses much smaller, reddish fruits, wrinkled like heff's ball sack.

i like chinola too. my favourite fruit here.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't see why a garden crop wouldn't do exceedingly well out there. They grow like weeds, can be harvested all year, and are very good for you.

As far as fried chicken, look for a Pica Pollo. It's actually tastier than KFC, and much cheaper.

To fulfill the stereotype (and ignore the fact the foods being discussed are universally popular), watermelon is abundant - and quite cheap.

Yes, very good watermelon available both seedless and seeded.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife is making a garden with collards, kale and many greens that aren't here or hard to find. She freaked when she couldn't find them here.
I do find it strange that the fruit that i have found is awful tasting. I guess i haven't ventured to the back of the trucks....It creeps me out but i guess that's where the best stuff is!

I have a papaya and zapote smoothie for breakfast almost every morning and the mangoes are delicious at present, and cheap.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
love passionfruit.........

my sister in england grows them around the front of the house, so they will grow in colder countries......

I have them here just growing over an old shed.

I prefer the name here 'chino-la'.....

lovely on home made cheesecake.......

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
When I grow my collards and turnips ill let yall know how they turn out..haven't seen any miracle grow here but im not giving up :) I don't like Dominican pica pollo..too much salt and different seasons. If I cant get kfc ill fry my chicken American southern style.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
When I grow my collards and turnips ill let yall know how they turn out..haven't seen any miracle grow here but im not giving up :) I don't like Dominican pica pollo..too much salt and different seasons. If I cant get kfc ill fry my chicken American southern style.
KFC that my son love isn't any different. Drenched with oil and lot of seasoning. But it isn't half bad though. I had very tough chicken here that was fried to the bones here in Moca. I rather have kfc then that again.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
chinola is passion fruit and it is available in many places now, poland included. so i am pretty sure you can find it in the US. but quite often when i see a recipe calling for passion fruit a different type than DR is used. in here you find quite large, smooth yellow fruits. as they ripe they wrinkle but usually they are sold as freshly picked. in his recipes jamie olivier uses much smaller, reddish fruits, wrinkled like heff's ball sack.

i like chinola too. my favourite fruit here.

I don't know whether it's talk of Hef's ball sack or chinola but I sure am puckering up......(lol)