Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No collard greens in Puerto Plata

Ive searched high and low but there are no collard greens in Pop. No turnips also. And no Kentucky fried chicken. We have a Burger King,Pizza hut, and Dominoes. I miss KFC. Nearest KFC is in Santiago. One good Chinese place here but I cook my own Chinese. Guess I may have to grow my own collards and turnips with permission of customs of course. Just a thought....Jax....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

god bless you if your biggest issue with food here is the lack of nasty plastic chain stores serving nasty plastic food.

3. Likes Chicagoan, N/A, Africaida, Rosss liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why a garden crop wouldn't do exceedingly well out there. They grow like weeds, can be harvested all year, and are very good for you.

As far as fried chicken, look for a Pica Pollo. It's actually tastier than KFC, and much cheaper.

To fulfill the stereotype (and ignore the fact the foods being discussed are universally popular), watermelon is abundant - and quite cheap.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

For a place with a year long growing season the lack of variety in fruits and vegetable is quite lacking.

Dominos pizza? DOMINOS PIZZA? Even in the US, the box tastes as good as the pizza.

But the chicken here, as DV8 mentioned, is really good. At least for me.

6. Likes Expat-in-Cabarete liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Where I am, the trucks never ever come. I got to go hunting for good fruit. The quality and variety of fruit at Janet's suck.

But we do get kale grown locally (and organic) every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    What fruit are you looking for you cannot find? There are even apples being sold out of the backs of pick up trucks in our neighbor hood. But I eat fruits here I never heard of before and am sure I'll have to go without in Maine. Zapote. Ever bought it in the USA. ever taske anything like it, although I call it toad tea as in sapo te.
    Der Fish

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxter View Post
    Ive searched high and low but there are no collard greens in Pop. No turnips also. And no Kentucky fried chicken. We have a Burger King,Pizza hut, and Dominoes. I miss KFC. Nearest KFC is in Santiago. One good Chinese place here but I cook my own Chinese. Guess I may have to grow my own collards and turnips with permission of customs of course. Just a thought....Jax....

We bought some organic collard greens the other week in Playero in Sosua.There were in in a clear packet up on the top,pretty good too and about 70 pesos

9. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still trying to find some oranges that don't look like they've been used in someone's baseball batting practice. My kids will not eat the brownish things here they call oranges no matter how much I beg them.

SHALENA

11. Likes Africaida, Harleysrock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Derfish;1241163] But I eat fruits here I never heard of before and am sure I'll have to go without in Maine. Zapote. Ever bought it in the USA. ever taske anything like it,

My favorite is chinolas (don't know if that is the correct spelling). Never had them before going to the DR, and cannot find them in US.

13. Likes Koreano liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    god bless you if your biggest issue with food here is the lack of nasty plastic chain stores serving nasty plastic food.
    DV8-you might be able to help me out with this. I don't know if this is an Eastern European dish but do you know if anywhere in the DR they serve cabbage and turnip soup? If I am mistaken with the ingredients, then please correct me.

Thanks-

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife is making a garden with collards, kale and many greens that aren't here or hard to find. She freaked when she couldn't find them here.
    I do find it strange that the fruit that i have found is awful tasting. I guess i haven't ventured to the back of the trucks....It creeps me out but i guess that's where the best stuff is!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast