"What about your saucepans?" update

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Taking the advice of Cris Colon, I now have an advertisement in the classified section of DR1 and I can update you about the progress of the book.

The book is selling well, with over 50 five star reviews on line. To be honest, I had no idea so much was involved in the marketing, and most of it is now done on line so here is the latest update.

1. For those of you who haven't bought the book but want an idea of what it is like, you can read excerpts here: What about your saucepans. This site also has a glossary of the main terms used, for those of you who read the book and want more information, plus some FAQs. If anyone has any questions having read the book then let me know and I will include them in the FAQ.

2. The book is also on goodreads at What about Your Saucepans? by Lindsay De Feliz - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists so anyone who is a member there, please review or say you want to read it!

3. I have had an interview published here Lindsay's deep diving and this site also has a great expat writing competition where you can win 1,500 euros so well worth entering.

4. Another interview here, with Aunt Clara on her Dominican cooking site My Dominican food: Lindsay de F?liz - writer - Dominican Cooking

There are more interviews and articles in the pipeline. Thanks to all of you who have bought it so far!

Matilda

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Hi Matilda
What I'm wondering, is the case settled with the protagonists from the south coast ? They have at last let your family in peace ? Apparently you don't need to hide anymore :)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hi Matilda
What I'm wondering, is the case settled with the protagonists from the south coast ? They have at last let your family in peace ? Apparently you don't need to hide anymore :)

I wish re hiding. The court case is ongoing. I can't reveal all or there goes Chapter One of next book (!) suffice it to say total vindication on the cards, but the B**tards won't give up without a fight. We have won the case but they are appealing.

mat

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
And if torrents are getting book free then thank goodness no! From the price the book sells for, US$12.60 I have to pay the print cost which is roughly US$5 a book. From what is remaining Amazon.com gets 70%, Amazon.co.uk gets 30% (Net Book agreement in the UK). From what is left my publisher gets 40%, so as you can see, yours truly makes next to nothing. Given the cost of publishing a book (you pay for editor, designer, proof reader, initial publishing set up costs), let alone the blood, sweat, tears and - in my case - the risk, then I don't think it is too much to ask people if they would like to buy it.

Have you read it yet Hlywud? If not, you should. You might enjoy it!

matilda

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Very nice foto of you on the "Expat site"!
ALMOST as beautiful as you are in person.
The foto can't show your wonderful personality!
Tom
Do they have an XXXX rated site where I can post????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I very much enjoyed your book which I purchased through amazon. I read every one of your blog posts and laughed and teared. I have shared your blog with my dominican friends in US and they have all responded positively. I find myself thinking about your family. I want to hear more about your stepsons and that little boy. I, for one, love the cat doors!

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
And if torrents are getting book free then thank goodness no! From the price the book sells for, US$12.60 I have to pay the print cost which is roughly US$5 a book. From what is remaining Amazon.com gets 70%, Amazon.co.uk gets 30% (Net Book agreement in the UK). From what is left my publisher gets 40%, so as you can see, yours truly makes next to nothing. Given the cost of publishing a book (you pay for editor, designer, proof reader, initial publishing set up costs), let alone the blood, sweat, tears and - in my case - the risk, then I don't think it is too much to ask people if they would like to buy it.

matilda

Is there any way to buy the book directly from you? I'd rather do that if Amazon is taking such a big cut.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Matilda, your book is a must have for anybody considering a move to the DR. I am so amazed at how much you know about the Dominican culture. You describe the good and the bad about everyday living, you don't sugar coat it, you tell it like it is.;)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Another update.

Official review of the book on onlinebookclub here

Official Review: What About Your Saucepans? • View topic • Book & Reading Discussion Forum

And a video interview with me here

Escape the Rat Race to Pursue a Dream

Please note I had no idea the interview would be videoed or recorded - had just got out of the shower and so didn't instruct people in house to keep quiet and out of sight. You can hear Chivirico singing outside, and, even worse, you can see Hector without his shirt on mopping behind me (at just over 10 minutes)!

Matilda

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Just watched the video, brought the book back to me, as well as the experiences; you did a great job in the interview. Bravo!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Taking the advice of Cris Colon, I now have an advertisement in the classified section of DR1 and I can update you about the progress of the book.

The book is selling well, with over 50 five star reviews on line. To be honest, I had no idea so much was involved in the marketing, and most of it is now done on line so here is the latest update.

1. For those of you who haven't bought the book but want an idea of what it is like, you can read excerpts here: What about your saucepans. This site also has a glossary of the main terms used, for those of you who read the book and want more information, plus some FAQs. If anyone has any questions having read the book then let me know and I will include them in the FAQ.

2. The book is also on goodreads at What about Your Saucepans? by Lindsay De Feliz - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists so anyone who is a member there, please review or say you want to read it!

3. I have had an interview published here Lindsay's deep diving and this site also has a great expat writing competition where you can win 1,500 euros so well worth entering.

4. Another interview here, with Aunt Clara on her Dominican cooking site My Dominican food: Lindsay de F?liz - writer - Dominican Cooking

There are more interviews and articles in the pipeline. Thanks to all of you who have bought it so far!

Matilda

Matilda, i bought the book on saturday, and i can say this, in all candor; in all my many years on this planet, i have never read anything as wonderful as this book. i am only up to chapter 2, because i have a visiting friend, who will be here for a week. as soon as he returns to the states, i am taking a trip away from home, so i can finish reading it without any distractions.

i cannot thank you enough. this deserves to be an international bestseller. with the correct exposure, it would be.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Excellent interview. Of the abundance of life lessons you have shared, knowing you are in charge of your own happiness is sage advice for sure. Well done.

Jan 17, 2009
It's a great book and hard to put down. I read it in one day a couple of months ago. I'm now hoping and waiting for a What about yours Saucepans 2.

I have to say that I honestly admire you, Matilda. I can't imagine anyone going through everything you went through and still loving this country.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Hi Lindsey. It's clear from your interview why you had success in the UK and why you've been able to make a comeback now. I agree, you are a natural storyteller. It is a skill that is underrated. My family and I will be setting up tent in the DR this coming February. You're storytelling is an ongoing inspiration to my wife. She says that the only serious friendship that she's looking forward to developing is the one with you :) Stay tuned, as we will, and keep up the good work.

Last edited: