who knows what it is called...

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
Hi friends,
we want our terrace floor of caliche seal, now my question is does anyone have an idea what the name of the paint, and where you buy it.
Linares, Freddy, Luciano's ferreteria know nothing.
thanks for any tip

Last edited by a moderator:

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I don't know what caliche is but if is is ceramic tile you want sellador de lechada .

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
caliche is a stone. its mined, Popular in Mexico and central to build block homes, foundations etc. or floors its the most popular material in mexico that you see in all the photos and drawings. its the reddish brown you see everywhere. very dense easily sawn, well sort of. i know there are all kinds of sealing methods but do not know which one ramy is refering to.
to pour concrete was great. you really did not need to use form boards much. just dig the footer and the caliche never caves in. Probably too much info. i have this wealth of useless knowledge jajajajaja except the sealer

Last edited:

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
caliche is a stone. its mined, Popular in Mexico and central to build block homes, foundations etc. or floors its the most popular material in mexico that you see in all the photos and drawings. its the reddish brown you see everywhere. very dense easily sawn, well sort of. i know there are all kinds of sealing methods but do not know which one ramy is refering to.
to pour concrete was great. you really did not need to use form boards much. just dig the footer and the caliche never caves in. Probably too much info. i have this wealth of useless knowledge jajajajaja except the sealer

It's not useless when it informs people that need to know (including me). Some land I own has this reddish-brown material everywhere. Can I assume it's caliche? If so, can I then dig it up for use in construction/building if needed?

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
caliche is hard. it may be red clay if it is softer. I think (no Geoligist here) that really caliche is dried out clay rock hard. usually it was in real arid areas that never see rain. South Texas and Mexico are full of it.. Its amazing to see men saw this stuff in 4 foot sections how accurate they hand saw it. They do it just like wood. If yours is soft i bet it is red clay not very arid here. good for pots and lining ponds

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
speaking of pots, has anyone noticed when you buy plant pots most do not come with the water collection plates below.

Most places say "no tengo" as if in the DR you dont need such things. I guess when watering plants here you just expect the muchacha to clean the dirty water mess from below...

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Its amazing to see men saw this stuff in 4 foot sections how accurate they hand saw it. They do it just like wood. If yours is soft i bet it is red clay not very arid here. good for pots and lining ponds

Interesting, , , , , , , , , , , especially the part about lining ponds. This red clay holds water???

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
The caliche she is talking about is the yellowish gravel-like stone that they use under the road paving and now they (the D.R.) is making granite-like counter tops and walls from it. It can be in large sheets and then sealed with a very hard coating to make it like granite. That is the caliche here.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
Interesting, , , , , , , , , , , especially the part about lining ponds. This red clay holds water???

well clay is like 50% air or something like that. it absorbs water fast , it actually hold more water then most soils, thats what makes it so good to line ponds. water still goes through it until its saturated and it does not go through rapidly. this is all laymans terms hahahaha. its like a big sponge. i remember parking in fields of clay and getting out of the truck then the truck rising 2 to 3 inches after you get out. i bet their is a map showing the soils you have in your area somewhere to say what exactly you have.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
The caliche she is talking about is the yellowish gravel-like stone that they use under the road paving and now they (the D.R.) is making granite-like counter tops and walls from it. It can be in large sheets and then sealed with a very hard coating to make it like granite. That is the caliche here.

yes i have seen it. they make gravel out of caliche. its just broken up I live in DR and our counters are made from it. or they were, our casa is under major rework and my wife is doing the kitchen. not sure what we will end up with. it started as a roof replacement.