Latest Cabarete Noticias News - Canoa is at it again!

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Here is the google translation:

Foreign investors want to appropriate the Mouth of Cabarete

May 6, 2013 | Filed under: News | Posted by: caba8255

Cabarete-MAP AU-GEOREFER2 DECREE

In Cabarete, it is still a place without human hand hurt and that place is called the Mouth of Cabarete. Many people tired of the beach of Cabarete that builders are ali?ando gradually destroying buildings and concrete walls 60 meters from the Boca go where the Yassica laughed being pulled into the sea. There is an area totally natural, construction of 2 restaurants typical Build
wood you where you eat fried fish and shrimp in a state of peace.

A sandy trail leads to the mouth from Garden Sports or Camino del Sol is the only access to Boca where tourists and Dominicans gather in a good atmosphere. Also practiced kitesurfing and windsurfing in the river.

Lately, appeared an investor with supposedly million for a private project there. Without asking anyone, together with the famous Canoa, closed access to the mouth. Alerted to this violation, the ministries of tourism and environment access reopened the same day. In Cabarete, is the custom of the council sell the public access to the beach by removing the right of people to enjoy the beach. In the map of the decree 847-09, is written and marked the way to the mouth.

The consultant of the project owner, a Canadian citizen approached the board Islabon neighbors, which is led by a figurehead of Canoa, to promote the project. That Canadian consultant is promising many jobs to the people of Vera Long Islabon and if help meet investor status to eliminate the restaurants located within 60 meters from the river mouth to appropriate. The consultant told the meeting that the investor has no legal obligation to let the public access to the mouth (which is not true), but that he is willing to create another access to the river where people can walk by the river side to the mouth where it will not find any restaurant to serve the public. Clearly, the purpose of the plan is to remove La Boca as a tourist attraction and a fun place for residents of Cabarete and turn it into a private paradise.

The Playa Grande project has been praised as a model project where private investors accommodated the objectives of private investment with public interests. They negotiated with the owners of existing restaurants, built kiosks serving food and refreshments for swimmers. and ensured that the public would have access equal to or better than before. Although the investor planning to privatize La Boca is not intended to follow the example of Playa Grande, we hope that the authorities of the Ministries of Tourism and Environment are steadfast in their responsibilities to protect the public interest.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
To me this says it all. There cannot be a man much worse than Canoa in goverment in the DR, and he is mayor of a town crawling with expats and tourists, yet the government DOES NOT CARE about the image of the country. I guess I'm naive.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what's the problem? closing up an area is nothing new, look at seahorse ranch, no public access to the beach and the sky did not fall nor did the rapture come.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
The fact that they completely and with assistance break the environmental and civil laws so blatantly! What do you mean - "what's the problem?" There could still be the jobs starting at the 60 meter rule.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If they are going to clean up the beach and provide jobs what's the problem ?

Trust me. There is a huge problem with this and just about any other thing done by that man.
It could also have something to do with the fact that a restaurant at La Boca is owned by the man that ran against him in the last election.

There used to be a web site about his actions, but the owner took it down because he was afraid of what might happen to his family members who live in that area.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The fact that they completely and with assistance break the environmental and civil laws so blatantly! What do you mean - "what's the problem?" There could still be the jobs starting at the 60 meter rule.

environmental laws? they want an expensive private property, they will have it cleaned up and whipped to perfect conditions, otherwise no one would want to buy there and live there.

civil laws? there'd still be access to that area from the beach, they cannot limit that. only there will be no dirty shacks, no loud music and no mess.

i know what land we are talking about. when i stayed in cabarete i walked there many times. one big rubbish dump. dirty , messy, loud. wouldn't it be nicer to have a clean, quiet beach? it will still be reachable by walking from the main cabarete beach, if someone wanted to.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
So they are going to build yet another hotel or so, and destroy some beautiful piece of nature, while there are 4 or 5 hotels empty and falling apart about 400 meters down the road.

There should be a law against this.

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
environmental laws? they want an expensive private property, they will have it cleaned up and whipped to perfect conditions, otherwise no one would want to buy there and live there.

civil laws? there'd still be access to that area from the beach, they cannot limit that. only there will be no dirty shacks, no loud music and no mess.

i know what land we are talking about. when i stayed in cabarete i walked there many times. one big rubbish dump. dirty , messy, loud. wouldn't it be nicer to have a clean, quiet beach? it will still be reachable by walking from the main cabarete beach, if someone wanted to.

We go there regularly, and I have yet to hear loud music there (well once, when some locals held their annual office party there and had the jeep going full blast)

The shacks may be primitive, but they serve great food at very reasonable prices, and are always clean.

BelgianK

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

Are we talking about the same piece of beach?

Coming from drug infested Jardin Deportivo (the falling down hotels) you can go down a road that runs parallel to the beach for about 2 miles that runs behind the row of shacks that make up the community of Veragua. Then you get to La Boca with a nice beach and restaurant.

If you went there walking from Cabarete main beach you certainly take long walks :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what, wait. you stand on cabarete beach facing the water, turn right and walk all the way towards the river, correct? this is what i am talking about. yes, that was a longish walk but i had nothing else to do. i also cycled down the road along part of the beach, all the way to the river. is this the same place or am i a halfwit again?
certainly it was dirty like hell when i last saw it (rubbish everywhere). and there were cars blasting bachata.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
what, wait. you stand on cabarete beach facing the water, turn right and walk all the way towards the river, correct? this is what i am talking about. yes, that was a longish walk but i had nothing else to do. i also cycled down the road along part of the beach, all the way to the river. is this the same place or am i a halfwit again?
certainly it was dirty like hell when i last saw it (rubbish everywhere). and there were cars blasting bachata.

Did you pass a run down area with abandoned hotels and continued... then you got to the river?

Then we are talking about the same beach... maybe I was lucky or you were not when we visited the place :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not remember, it was a loooong time ago. i stayed in a small hotel just a bit off the beach, at the end of cabarete. i would walk either to the main beach or to the river every single day. not much to do, really.
i guess lot might have changed since then. but i do not expect a change for the better when it comes to styrofoam containers littering the area or dominican enthusiasm to play loud music when they are on any of the beach trips...

but more to the point. i think i am not wrong here, the beach access cannot be limited, correct? you can close off the land leading there but you cannot close the beach access as such? so people will still be able to go there?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
It depends on where they put the fences I guess; try getting access to the Sea Horse Ranch beach for instance; if you visit the Beach club no problem, but I can't see a way in from outside the resort..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not even know if you can reach seahorse ranch by walking on the beach all the time, either from cabarete or sosua. i mean, i do not know whether it's just beach, beach all the time or cliffs or any other obstacles limiting that access.

in case of boca de yassica it's nice beach all the way...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The problem is always that once you allow them to close a certain entrance then nothing prevents them from closing it entirely (i.e. with security guards). The 60 yards rule and public access is violated all the time in The DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmmm... maybe... i think the'd have to be really connected to pull that off. and i cannot imagine security guards prohibiting people to enter the beach. maybe some stuff like: no food, no music or whatnot.