US "House" to vote in Internet Sales Tax this coming Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I understand that this is a US based law, but it could affect many of us in the DR who order items from the US and have them shipped via freight forwarders to the DR:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/business/1003513-464/nh-online-retailers-balk-at-new-us.html

The Senate hare already passe the bill to charge sales tax for Internet sales:

Internet Sales Tax Bill Faces Tough Sell in House - US News and World Report

It is not a new tax, says one of our more brilliant representatives. Nope, and neither was Obamacare.

I personally hope it fails in The House.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It's a sad attemp to save brick and mortar stores, but it will only push online sellers to be even more efficient and reduce their prices even more to stay competitive. No law or tax is going to save big stores as we know them now. I think they will always exist, obviously, but not the size they are now. I know there is a generation or two who still prefers to buy at traditional stores, but it's just a matter of time.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It will also push business to states that don't have a sales tax, and to overseas sellers.

I want to scream when you hear some clown politician claim they need to "level the playing field"! Really? Is that there job? To make things even?

Taxes are not a source of income for gov't. They are to help fund govt svc's that the payee may need to use. Fire depts., etc.

Hoping it fails in the House as well.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
It's a sad attemp to save brick and mortar stores, but it will only push online sellers to be even more efficient and reduce their prices even more to stay competitive.

There is nothing wrong with that.
And meanwhile, all those services that everybody wants but some don't want to pay for, may get some funding.
It takes a village.
In the D.R. nobody pays taxes so there are no services.
I suppose that could be one way to go about doing things, but I think the people of the U.S.A. have spoken on this issue.
That's what elections are for, aren't they?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
In the D.R. nobody pays taxes so there are no services

I don't know about you, but I just pay too much in taxes down here. 30% of my salary, 18% on goods, 30% on services, 60% on gas...
Things don't work here, but there are other reasons for that.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I voted in the last election in the USA.
I guess I missed the ballot question on "Taxing The Internet".
Just as taxpayers revolted about the fraud/abuse/ and costs of welfare in the USA during Clintons terms, which gave us the "Welfare Reform Act", the same will soon happen due to "Taxing Workers", to give to the "Shurkers"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I can't wait to hear them scream :eek::eek::eek: about their "ENTITLEMENTS" then :cry::cry::cry:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::p:p:p
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
This will kill my enjoyment of purchasing from internet....

Dell once created small kiosks on many malls so they can collect taxes. I guess if those big retailers and government really wants to collect taxes and create jobs. Let the big retailers create B&M stores or kiosks in every state so they can collect taxes. I am sure big company like Amazon.com and others have plenty of money to buy small kiosks in cheap malls. Don’t kill the small retailers with all new book of IRS codes.

I’ve seen many 2-5 people online companies, I know there are easy coding that can calculate every state taxes but it will not be easy for them to keep everything on track and pay everything promptly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is nothing wrong with that.
And meanwhile, all those services that everybody wants but some don't want to pay for, may get some funding.
It takes a village.
In the D.R. nobody pays taxes so there are no services.
I suppose that could be one way to go about doing things, but I think the people of the U.S.A. have spoken on this issue.
That's what elections are for, aren't they?

Your last sentence would be true if it were not for one thing Lobbyists. They run the country, not the will of the people.
The government has no business levelling the playing field in my opinion. Hopefully it will fail.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
I think it is a fair tax. I am not in favor of taxes by any means. One of the problems we had was someone behind a computer had virtually no money invested and they would drop ship items straight from the mfg. They really were not authorized dealers and could not provide you with warrantee work. Many people thought they could being products to us and we would honor the warrantee. They sold products at prices that they were so stupid to sell them for they were not making much money. Then they went out of business. many of them did not. To circumvent this. MAP was established to try and make it fair to store owners. This caused higher prices to the consumer but no tax at first. Many MFG had strict rules to sell their products and so did WHD's that required you to have a retail store front. insurance, inventory etc. These internet sellers could not sell these products but they could sell many that did not have that requirement. Have you noticed many times you can't even tell where the company is located. that should be a warning sign to consumers.
I am all for the law. It is not a feeble attempt, it will make the playing field closer. I prefer to buy things from local business more the internet anyway. You did not even have to live in the USA to sell the products , they may have been terrorist running the internet company. I like to know who i am buying from. That is just me , everyone has their own reasons.
I just want real companies to stay in business. This law affects a vaste quantity of small business owners mom and pop retail brick and morter operations, not just big businesses. Oh the internet tried to make it seem like was a bad thing. Actually by the time you paid shipping it almost was the same price.. no one likes to pay taxes but thats government, we have to pay for their waste hahahaha

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Never have so many been so ready to send so much hard earned American dollars out of the country....and yet, they love to call themselves "patriots".

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I fail to see how buying stuff at a store keeps the dollars in the country. It is not where it is sold that matters, it's where it is made. And frankly, it's hard to find anything done in the US anymore. You can buy it at the store or online, it's still made in China.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I want to scream when you hear some clown politician claim they need to "level the playing field"! Really? Is that there job? To make things even?

Taxes are not a source of income for gov't.

You just answered your own question. Uncle Sam is broke and his credit card is maxing out.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
actually usa ships about 7 billion dollars of auto parts to china. It is true many of the day to day items are china,( I wish they made them here) there is more products still made in usa then people may realize. Many products are made in mexico, SA, china and sold in USA but it is an american company thats the owner. Money spent locally has a better chance of staying local. Small business is going away rapidly. Thanks to place like Home Depot Lowes, walmarts etc. Walmart is the worst about selling china junk. (i do not shop there.) they largest chrome plater of plastics parts is not a chinese company. it is am american company and the chinese buy from them. Almost all the chrome plating on asian cars, even the ones here in DR are produced by an american company. People just tjink its from Asia.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Never have so many been so ready to send so much hard earned American dollars out of the country....and yet, they love to call themselves "patriots".
What does "patrioism" have to do with consumers seeking to maximize their resources?

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I fail to see how buying stuff at a store keeps the dollars in the country. It is not where it is sold that matters, it's where it is made. And frankly, it's hard to find anything done in the US anymore. You can buy it at the store or online, it's still made in China.

I disagree.
I'm pretty sure that the big money (to pay for all those lobbyists) doesn't stay at the point of manufacture. Rather, it is earned by all the big shots stateside and then siphoned off into all those fancy tax havens.
The American government and, by extension, the American people never see a red cent.
I think we all got some pretty good lessons in that this past election season.
But hey, what do I know?
Disagreements are pretty deep these days...
A sign of the times.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Why do you equate the two? Why even use them in the same sentence?

Are you one of those who says that increased taxes also shows "patriotism?" That the Nanny State = "patriotism?

Sounds like demagoguery to me...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I disagree.
I'm pretty sure that the big money (to pay for all those lobbyists) doesn't stay at the point of manufacture. Rather, it is earned by all the big shots stateside and then siphoned off into all those fancy tax havens.
The American government and, by extension, the American people never see a red cent.
"big shots stateside?" WTF??? Why do you even CARE if you're not a shareholder?

And since WHEN is the gubmint somehow "entitled" to seeing a share of the profits of PRIVATE industry???????

Tax havens? Are you aware they are LEGAL per IRS code?

This "last election season" was a complete wash of what preceeded it: same POTUS, Congress and Senate. So pleas explain to me what it "proved?" What "good lessons" were learned?

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Why do you equate the two? Why even use them in the same sentence?

Are you one of those who says that increased taxes also shows "patriotism?" That the Nanny State = "patriotism?

Sounds like demagoguery to me...

I agree.
That's why I put "patriots" in quotation marks.
My even bothering to use it is probably because I am so sick of hearing so many people going on and on about "real" Americans, or "patriots".
I swear to God I sometimes feel like Alice at her tea party with the March Hare and the Mad Hatter.
lol.:classic:

Status
Not open for further replies.