Card Cloning, a crime activity advisory.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
:bandit:

PJT has been victimized twice within the last two months by fraudulent use of his credit card in the Punta Cana tourist zone. During March a fraudulent charge of US $600 was posted to his credit card account and this past Sunday, Cinco de Mayo, a fraudulent charge of $3000 was posted. Both bad charges were made at chain stores/vendors, making it harder to nail down the point of crime location as the transactions are posted from a central location and not point of sale. Wow! PJT was in control of his cards all the time????? Both incidents were reported to the bank immediately, the day they were posted. PJT checks the bank website for card activity continuously. It is very fortunate the bank graciously replaced the violated card of March and is in the process of replacing the card of the most recent fraud. PJT will not be charged the $3600.

It has been suggested in another post ?It has happened to me now WTF?; the fraud transactions take place on weekends. PJT?s case holds to the conjecture; both his fraud transactions were on weekends.

PJT notified the police and they admit there is a gang/mafia in the area CLONING CARDS. PJT was informed a criminal group performing the cloning activity was arrested this past week. PJT noted, the arrested are not the one(s) that did the crime on Cinco de Mayo.

Advice, when using a credit or debit card, makes sure the card is always in your control. This is also to mean and most important that at the point of purchase you must see the card swiped through the card reader. If the vendor employee goes out of your sight to swipe the card it is at risk to be cloned. Always check your card account and maybe ask the bank to put in some safeguards, such as sales limits, and/or text alerts.

So, guard your plastic and watch. :glasses:

Regards,

PJT

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
But beautiful Africaida wonders where to get the cash if cloning also happens in ATM

especially if she needs cash on weekends

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
But beautiful Africaida wonders where to get the cash if cloning also happens in ATM :)

especially if she needs cash on weekends

If you must use a card, go inside to the cashier. This was recommended by the OP, and has also been recommended in other threads.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Lessen the risk

Better yet don't use plastic, cash is harder to clone.
But is easy to counterfeit.

PJT's is retired and has no Dominican source of income. His revenue is from US pension and financial accounts. He uses credit cards because they draw funds from his US accounts, no having to carry notes across borders. He does not use ATM's because the transaction fees are too high. The ATM's to him are inconvenient, awkward, and risky.

He uses credit cards because to him they are the lesser of the usage evils of financial transactions; the issuing bank provides benefits of unauthorized use protection, guarantee of product and service protections, equal less risk of loss. Debit cards do not provide the protections. Cash although good to have is risky to keep on hand in large amounts, if lost or stolen ..... sayōnara. People know what you have. ......If you fart in Santiago the street vendors in Santo Domingo know it before you can whiff it. So, because some people covet what you have, you are at risk. Therefore, PJT keeps very little cash on hand to lessen the risk.

Plastic CC are better for him.

Regards,

PJT

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
.....If you fart in Santiago the street vendors in Santo Domingo know it before you can whiff it.
PJT

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ks4bD2RL3dM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>..............................................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Keep in mind that Pichardo promises all cash will soon be gone. Imagine the level of fraud after that happens, it will be incredible.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
This happened to me in Las Terrenas last week. It was alarming as I've been quite spoiled. Never had an issue before. It seemed to have been cloned at a restaurant called Mojitos, but I can't say for sure. In any case Chase Card Services was great. They notified me by email right away after 4 transactions and didn't make me pay for them.

I never want to use a credit card in a restaurant again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW uses Chase Card services and is very pleased.

WW (Wily Willy) uses credit cards sparingly and carries cash.... others, not his.

Chase protected Wily by splitting the cards... WW uses his main card for NoAmerican use, and a special card for RD and another for online.

By segregating the cards, WW's farts never are smelled by the other cards... like locking them in private fart room... the left hand of Wily doesn't know what his right hand is doing (in Sosua).... which is good for WW's sleeping patterns.

Napoleon and WW discussed this.... the consensus was to "Divide and Attack"!!
BTW, that was was WW's idea, not Shorty's

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When one talks in the 3rd person to a 3rd person.... is the conversation 6x or 9x removed from the present ??

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm not sure about the removal factor, but it can pose a problem when hittin' on da' chicas!!! Just ask Jimmy.

[video=youtube;Apa0nG1OfUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc[/video]

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
:bandit:

PJT has been victimized twice within the last two months by fraudulent use of his credit card in the Punta Cana tourist zone. During March a fraudulent charge of US $600 was posted to his credit card account and this past Sunday, Cinco de Mayo, a fraudulent charge of $3000 was posted. Both bad charges were made at chain stores/vendors, making it harder to nail down the point of crime location as the transactions are posted from a central location and not point of sale. Wow! PJT was in control of his cards all the time????? Both incidents were reported to the bank immediately, the day they were posted. PJT checks the bank website for card activity continuously. It is very fortunate the bank graciously replaced the violated card of March and is in the process of replacing the card of the most recent fraud. PJT will not be charged the $3600.

It has been suggested in another post ?It has happened to me now WTF?; the fraud transactions take place on weekends. PJT?s case holds to the conjecture; both his fraud transactions were on weekends.

PJT notified the police and they admit there is a gang/mafia in the area CLONING CARDS. PJT was informed a criminal group performing the cloning activity was arrested this past week. PJT noted, the arrested are not the one(s) that did the crime on Cinco de Mayo.

Advice, when using a credit or debit card, makes sure the card is always in your control. This is also to mean and most important that at the point of purchase you must see the card swiped through the card reader. If the vendor employee goes out of your sight to swipe the card it is at risk to be cloned. Always check your card account and maybe ask the bank to put in some safeguards, such as sales limits, and/or text alerts.

So, guard your plastic and watch. :glasses:

Regards,

PJT
Strangely enough, we have had the same thing happen to us. The very strange thing is, the charges came up a few days ago, and we have been in Canada for the last three and a half weeks. They certainly took their time. The real funny part is the first charge was to a lawyers office in Santo Domingo. That charge was around forty dollars. The next charge was a huge charge to a Quiznos sub shop. Seriously? Who eats over five hundred dollars in subs? First time we have ever had a problem, including a trip where the husband got drunk and left the card in a bank machine.....We only use the card at the bank, and at the grocery store. I am doubting the grocery store more than the bank.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I never use a CC, debit only for me, cloning is useless without the code... so that means in the DR I use cahs which I get from the banks ATM mostly at two places:

1. In GH where I know the bank manager
2. In Sosua @ BP the big office - apart from a friendly request to donate by the guard (I asked if he tried t rob me, he declined and apologized)

In other cities I use what the Dominicans themselves use - mostly I go for the BP ATM's as they are usually guarded, smack in the middle of town and quite a few have a privacy booth... I always wait to see if anybody has any problems before me.. I choose the Spanish menu and so far haven't had a problem, apart from once, when I used a different bank in 2007..

I usually take out my cash early in the morning

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
I never use a CC, debit only for me, cloning is useless without the code... so that means in the DR I use cahs which I get from the banks ATM mostly at two places:

1. In GH where I know the bank manager
2. In Sosua @ BP the big office - apart from a friendly request to donate by the guard (I asked if he tried t rob me, he declined and apologized)

In other cities I use what the Dominicans themselves use - mostly I go for the BP ATM's as they are usually guarded, smack in the middle of town and quite a few have a privacy booth... I always wait to see if anybody has any problems before me.. I choose the Spanish menu and so far haven't had a problem, apart from once, when I used a different bank in 2007..

I usually take out my cash early in the morning
Card-skimming scam caught on CCTV

BBC News - Card-skimming scam caught on CCTV

The scanners fit over the banks ATM card slot with camera, look and learn

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
card skimmers on the waitress leg. i always check and pull on the card slot at banks and put the pin in with all my fingers

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Boston bank just put the $1,400 dollars stolen from my debit card account last week.
Charges were made from the DR, to an internet vendor in France.
All charges, including duplicate charges were made over the weekend within a few minutes.
I became "All Cash" last week!
I have a Banreservas "CC" that I use only for groceries.
I cash a personal check every week for cash.
I blame "Card Net" for the "Cloning".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dec 21, 2008
Been there, done it, got the t-shirt. Only cash for me now...go into the bank once per week, withdraw with I need for the week. No ATM's or CC. My bank in Canada was very helpful and I was returned all my missing funds but what a pain in the A$$.