best grocery store

devdev

May 14, 2011
I currently shop at la sirena (because its close), but occasionally I find rotten, moldy, out of date food....I do like jumbo, but I was thinking of shopping at el nacional...where do you shop and why? does anyone shop at el nacional-what r the prices like compared to the other stores? any info is appreciated

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here in POP i shop in a small local supermarket, jose luis. la sirena is all good but there is too much choice, too many things and we always end up spending too much. in jose luis i know where everything is, i know deli men, butchers, cashier girls, the owner. i prefer to go small rather than go big.

in santiago i like el nacional and bravo. simply because they have some stuff no one else stores. expensive like hell but well worth a visit if you want a treat.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
devdev, in SD I find Nacional more expensive than La Sirena. I actually think Plaza Lama's groceries are cheaper than the others - I know their coffee prices are often a lot less.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Super Mercado Nacional is more expensive than La Sirena, Bravo and Jumbo. I check the ads in the newspaper for sales and that will determine which of those supermakets I will shop that week. But I find that SMN has more imported goods.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The poshest supermarket used to be Amigo in Naco - not sure what it's like these days now that the more mainstream supermarkets have got more cosmopolitan in their range of products.

Nacional, Bravo, Cadena, Pola all have their strong and weak points - it's difficult to say if one is better than the other but I listed them in order of overall quality - IMHO only.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Chiri, I agree with you. When it comes to overall quality, Nacional is number one.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Nacional is more upscale, with much more imported foods.

La Sirena is our "go to" big grocer, although our basics are well met by local stores which are decent.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The poshest supermarket used to be Amigo in Naco - not sure what it's like these days now that the more mainstream supermarkets have got more cosmopolitan in their range of products.

Nacional, Bravo, Cadena, Pola all have their strong and weak points - it's difficult to say if one is better than the other but I listed them in order of overall quality - IMHO only.
What is Carrefour like?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In fruits and vegetables Bravo is the best in quality and very reasonable in price (36% discount on Tuesdays). Nacional and Jumbo might be good overall, but are below average in fruits and vegetables.

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
Does Nacional import from other Lat.Am countries? I've heard rumors of a supermercado that carries some argentine stuff, and I would love it if it was that easy to get my hands on some Yerba Mate y alfajores...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
True about Nacional - I was very happy to find Grana Padana cheese from Italy for our pasta, that's hard to find even where I live in the US. And the price was about what it costs in US too, expensive but worth it!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Does Nacional import from other Lat.Am countries? I've heard rumors of a supermercado that carries some argentine stuff, and I would love it if it was that easy to get my hands on some Yerba Mate y alfajores...
A lot of products sold in the DR are made in Colombia and Guatemala - usually under licence from a multinational though. Yerba mate is widely available. Alfajores (imported and locally made) and dulce de leche (imported - note that the local Dominican dulce de leche is not quite the same) are also easy to find.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I currently shop at la sirena (because its close), but occasionally I find rotten, moldy, out of date food....I do like jumbo, but I was thinking of shopping at el nacional...where do you shop and why? does anyone shop at el nacional-what r the prices like compared to the other stores? any info is appreciated

The problem is Santo Domingo and the Dominican Republic DO NOT have anyone to police for this sort of thing. If the city comes in to a big box store in Chicago and find food "out of code" and or "out of date" that store is hit with a MAJOR fine and they have a day or two to remove ALL the food "out of date and code" and the second time the fine is much BIGGER the thrid time the city CLOSE the store no matter how big the store it is or the name.

I work for Nestle USA as a "DM" and when I am in another DM district and walk into a store even when I am NOT working if I find a Nestle product out of code or date, I call the DM or leave an email for him or her to contact the sales rep in that area about the out of code food on the store shelves.

The Dominican Republic does not have this sort of standards when dealing with their customers. Anytime you are in La Sirena or any other store you always have to CHECK the date. I shop at La Sirena on San Isidro and I purchase bread that had mold on it once or twice because you will almost NEVER find bread with mold in any American supermarket so I forget sometimes to check for mold WOW!!!! Always CHECK no matter what store you are in.

BTW It is not just the big stores like Ole, Jumbo, Plaza Lama, La Sirena etc once I was dying for an "american treat" so I bought a Milky Way candy bar from a colmado in Los Mina and when I opened it the candy looked like it had been on the shelf since 1983.

Dominicans do not like to throw out food that SHOULD BE thrown out.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

In Sosua Playero, German Butchers and bakeries.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The problem is Santo Domingo and the Dominican Republic DO NOT have anyone to police for this sort of thing. If the city comes in to a big box store in Chicago and find food "out of code" and or "out of date" that store is hit with a MAJOR fine and they have a day or two to remove ALL the food "out of date and code" and the second time the fine is much BIGGER the thrid time the city CLOSE the store no matter how big the store it is or the name.

I work for Nestle USA as a "DM" and when I am in another DM district and walk into a store even when I am NOT working if I find a Nestle product out of code or date, I call the DM or leave an email for him or her to contact the sales rep in that area about the out of code food on the store shelves.

The Dominican Republic does not have this sort of standards when dealing with their customers. Anytime you are in La Sirena or any other store you always have to CHECK the date. I shop at La Sirena on San Isidro and I purchase bread that had mold on it once or twice because you will almost NEVER find bread with mold in any American supermarket so I forget sometimes to check for mold WOW!!!! Always CHECK no matter what store you are in.

BTW It is not just the big stores like Ole, Jumbo, Plaza Lama, La Sirena etc once I was dying for an "american treat" so I bought a Milky Way candy bar from a colmado in Los Mina and when I opened it the candy looked like it had been on the shelf since 1983.

Dominicans do not like to throw out food that SHOULD BE thrown out.

don't let the date fool you. i know of some guys who were buying out of date stuff in Miami, and getting the date stamp altered.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
[rant]

I understand imported foods must have a lable in Spanish about contents, nutritional info, etc. And I know it has to be a label that can't be easily removed.

But, seriously, how about APPLYING THE LABLE SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN THE FRICKIN' RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS?????

I'd kinda sorta like to know how much water, butter, etc., is needed, and at what temperatures, etc....

[/rant]