Legal Representative for Real Estate Rental Contract - Requirement? POA

jmor

May 8, 2013
Hello there,

We are trying to rent an apartment and noticed the contract states the owner's name, yet the signature area had another person (female instead of male). Upon enquiry, we were informed this is the owner's sister. We then asked to be provided a power of attorney to verify that this person in fact has the authority to lease this property. We were basically told that it has never been needed before and the apartment was sold with this person's signature... well, we still feel iffy about it. So, is this current? I've only ever encountered lawyers signing contracts for clients in rental agreements, not family members.

Advice much appreciated.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
you have to pay the person that is on the lease, unless you see the power of attorney and make a copy, because otherwise the owner can claim he has never been paid, as you paid someone else!

Watch out for Dominican shenanigans when it comes to real estate transactions.

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
Hello there,

We are trying to rent an apartment and noticed the contract states the owner's name, yet the signature area had another person (female instead of male). Upon enquiry, we were informed this is the owner's sister. We then asked to be provided a power of attorney to verify that this person in fact has the authority to lease this property. We were basically told that it has never been needed before and the apartment was sold with this person's signature... well, we still feel iffy about it. So, is this current? I've only ever encountered lawyers signing contracts for clients in rental agreements, not family members.

Advice much appreciated.

I trust you are sure that who claims to be the owner really IS the owner. Anyway, even in the Dominican Republic a power of attorney is standard practice in such cases of representation. So i would definitely insist on that, just to maintain some elementary standard of formality.

jmor

May 8, 2013
I trust you are sure that who claims to be the owner really IS the owner. Anyway, even in the Dominican Republic a power of attorney is standard practice in such cases of representation. So i would definitely insist on that, just to maintain some elementary standard of formality.

Thanks! Will do. She (the realtor) is a little sketchy.

jmor

May 8, 2013
My husband had a friend of ours, who is a realtor, speak to her to try and get some sense as she was trying to pull other shenanigans (charging for things that aren't charged for, etc...) Hopefully it will go smoothly, if not, back to apartment search we go.