What is needed to travel with small dog?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Evening, what exactly is necessary to enter the DR with a small dog in terms of papers? Also what airlines allow a small dog to travel as carry aboard? What is that cost? Thank You

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I'm not sure about documents to enter the DR but if you are travelling from canada you can use westjet,dog in a carryon size cage that fits under the seat is no charge

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
To enter the DR with an animal you need the following papers: Certificate of International Health in 3 languages, a Certificate of vaccination (including rabies) not older than 10 days prior to arrival here.

Sorry Rogerjac but WestJet charges $ 50.00 per animal to travel either on board or in the cargo.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
a friend of mine travelled last october and was charged nothing. did they change their policy or did this one fly under the radar....your guess is as good as mine

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You need to take your dog to a vet in the states. There you can get an International Travel document. It does not need to be in 3 languages. English is acceptable. You will need to be up on all the vacinations for your dog. When you make reservations to fly you need to make a reservation for the dog. Most US airlines will charge anywhere from $100-$150 for the dog. Make sure you have a soft side dog carrier. The dog carrier will be at your feet partially under the seat in front of you. When you get to the DR and go through customs someone will contact you and look at your paperwork and you will need to pay about 10usd to bring in the dog. That is it. I have done it many times. When you come back to the airport you need to find the office to check in the dog with the DR authorities before you go to your airline check in. If you are flying into Santiago I am not sure where at the airport it is located. At Las Americas it is a small office to the left side of the main entrance area.
Again, make sure your vet certificate is dated no longer than 10 days prior to your departure. When you return from the DR you will need to get the same certificate from a vet in the DR. The whole proceedure is not cheap. Between the ticket and the vets it will cost you around $200usd. Good luck.

LTSteve

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Derfish:

I believe the International Travel Document for your pet has the language in the text in a few languages. This is a pretty standard document. There is nothing that you have to do re: language requirements. Your vet fills out the paperwork in the country of your origin.

LTSteve

bchris964

May 14, 2013
I also want to know that is Spanish important for visiting there?
no one know about the dog carrying.Is there any documentation necessary?