Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Extended Range of Your Wireless Network

The good news is many houses in the DR are well-built with concrete walls, floors and ceilings.

The bad news is such construction makes for lousy home wifi networks. I know in our house even one concrete wall/floor kills over 50-60% of the wifi signal...even if you're fairly close. Upstairs on the opposite side of the house? Forget it.

I found a simply brilliant solution: a Powerline connection where the house electrical wiring acts like an ethernet cable. You can plug an adapter into any plug close to your router and plug another wireless router into another electrical outlet for a new hotspot.

And the BEST solution I found, by far, is the Linksys PLWK400 kit.

It consists of two parts:

• a PLE400 adapter you plug into a wall socket and run an ethernet cable from your main router to it:

• a PLW400 remote wifi hotspot that all you do, literally, is plug into a wall socket where you want the new signal:

The schematic looks like this:

Set up is a snap, CD included. This worked first time right out of the box for us and now we have a "5-bar" signal upstairs on the opposite of the house.

The best part: you can plug it-and other PLW400's-into any electrical outlet in your house to take solid wifi coverage with you.

Cost: about $95.

If you've wondered how to easily increase the range of your wifi network, this is an excellent, cost-effective solution.

2. Likes MerengueDutchie liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post, I myself use the Apple equivalent..

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I use one of these. A wireless solution. Put it at the edge of your wifi range and it re-transmits on two bands.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Internet in the whole house

Bought the ones mentioned in my thread above a while ago. Working flawless since I have them.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    Internet in the whole house

Bought the ones mentioned in my thread above a while ago. Working flawless since I have them.
    This one doesn't have to be connected to a wireless router. It IS a wireless...and wired...router.

2 parts, plug and play.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally prefer running Ethernet to every room in the household. It shouldn't be too painful to buy a 100-foot spool, some metal piping to contain it outdoors, and drill holes into the property where the cabling would enter. Weatherproof the entries with DapTex or some other silicon-based sealant.

Not only does that ensure full duplex 100MB bandwidth to every workstation, but it takes away likely sources of interference that typically happen with RF transmission.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. True.

My solution I had to buy a wireless extender separately. However, for me was the main point to get Desktops connected (with wire) to the Internet without the need of more wall plug ins installed by ISP.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, cool. thanks cobra. Looks like a good setup.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

CB, does it have any problem running on a DR style inverter?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_NYC View Post
    I personally prefer running Ethernet to every room in the household. It shouldn't be too painful to buy a 100-foot spool, some metal piping to contain it outdoors, and drill holes into the property where the cabling would enter. Weatherproof the entries with DapTex or some other silicon-based sealant.

Not only does that ensure full duplex 100MB bandwidth to every workstation, but it takes away likely sources of interference that typically happen with RF transmission.
    This is what I did for my place I run a 1Gb/s network... for those reasons and because Blu-Ray streaming over WiFi is not stable due to bandwith issues

However there remains the need to have WiFi for the various WiFi controlled appliances and the mobile devices both for guests (network 1) and myself (network 2)

So I use two wireless access points in the house to have full coverage even in the garden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast