Not new, but finally here

Status
Not open for further replies.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Just wanted to say thanks to all who post information, the good and bad.
I've found a nice apartment in Santo Domingo and will see how it goes. Looking for all advice even if I heard it before and hoping to meet some of the members.

Here are some pics I took my first day using the Canon SX50 HS. The zoom on this thing is crazy. You can see from the shots. Sony has a 50x zoom also. Speaking of zooms I will need a tripod? Where to buy in SD?

hummm. Let me figure out how to post pics.:disappoin

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Welcome to DR1. To post pics just use the picture frame icon in the toolbar above the reply box.

Thanks, but the icon needs a URL, the pics are on my hard drive. I thought I could navigate to my hard drive and upload them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
RG84, you first have to upload them to a site like PhotoBucket or TinyPic, then link to them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nice pictures, thanks. usually i see SD from car window so definitely ground level :)

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
where did you end up getting an apartment, RG?

In Gazcue!!!!! Thank you for all the info. you provided. I can walk to almost everything I need. Funny going to the market for the first time and having the person bagging my groceries taking them all the way to my apartment. Never would get that back in the states. Also experience the "not having change" at the market also.

bchris964

May 14, 2013
Hi,
This is good way to explain something clearly.I also need help accordingly.
By this post,I can solve my problem easily.
Thank you.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Found myself hanging out the other night at a drink called New Jersey. At first I thought it was a colmado, but my friend told me it's called a drink. We sat outside because the breeze was sooo nice, and I was thinking if I saw some people back home doing this, I would think, "looked at those bums drinking 40z on the side walk." Funny how you perspective changes. It was enjoyable and we ordered some chicharones (skins from where I'm from) from a place next door. $125 pesos for the beer, $50 pesos for the food.

I want to say thanks to JDJones for showing parts of the city I would never have seen. The north side, very beautiful but also shows the huge gap between the people here.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Found myself hanging out the other night at a drink called New Jersey...........

Is this place a block up from the malecon near Plaza Juan Baron where the Pizzarella is on the corner? If so that is a nice spot to just sip a cold one. If that is the area where you are now living you should be able to find anything you need within easy walking distance.

Another good spot to go, although not cheap like Jersey, is the Terrace at Napolitano Hotel. Late night (especially weekends) they have live entertainment. No biggies, usually local talent but still nice. Also Napolitano has day passes which allow you use of the pool and a buffet.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ooops, sorry. I looked at the pics again and you aren't as close to the monument as I thought. That zoom had me fooled. Real nice view from your apartment.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.......Funny going to the market for the first time and having the person bagging my groceries taking them all the way to my apartment.............

For those in the know what would be a proper tip to have the person bagging walk 6 blocks or so to deliver your groceries?

Also what should you tip the delivery guy from the colmado who just brings you a few items?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Is this place a block up from the malecon near Plaza Juan Baron where the Pizzarella is on the corner? If so that is a nice spot to just sip a cold one. If that is the area where you are now living you should be able to find anything you need within easy walking distance.

Another good spot to go, although not cheap like Jersey, is the Terrace at Napolitano Hotel. Late night (especially weekends) they have live entertainment. No biggies, usually local talent but still nice. Also Napolitano has day passes which allow you use of the pool and a buffet.

I believe you are correct. I like live music so I will check out the Hotel.

For those in the know what would be a proper tip to have the person bagging walk 6 blocks or so to deliver your groceries?

Also what should you tip the delivery guy from the colmado who just brings you a few items?

I want to know this also. I gave the young man 100 pesos; too little, too much?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.................some pics I took my first day using the Canon SX50 HS. The zoom on this thing is crazy.............

I did some research on your camera, Wow that thing is nice. That zoom range is unbelievable.

Are you in easy walking distance to Avenida Independencia (Villar Hnos restaurant)? Villar Hnos has a great bakery section from rolls to birthday cakes. One block east of Villar Hnos is a fairly new spot to grab a bite to eat right in front of Hotel Navarro.

BTW, welcome to Gazcue. You are going to love it................

Don't forget you can always pass the time of day strolling on el conde. There is a movie theater on the malecon which shouldn't be too far from you. Adrian Tropical, D'Luis, or Malecon 7 are nice restaurants on the malecon.

Try this website for phone numbers to get your PizzaHut, KFC, and Chinese food delivered.

Menu.com.do

Best really large supermarket would be La Nacional on the corner of Lincoln and 27 de febrero.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think that 100 pesos is too much unless they are climbing up a lot of flights of stairs. I think that 25 pesos if they are just rolling the cart a few blocks and going in the door .. to an elevator. I used to tip 25 pesos per load to the third floor climbing the stairs and they seemed always really happy with that. Depends, of course, on how far you live away from the store. I am only around the corner.

I tip 5 to ten pesos for the water bottles from the colmado. Lots of Dominicans do not tip for this since the delivery prices are built in.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Thanks BigBird and Mountainannie.

I'm two blocks away from Villar Hons. Yes I like the bakery, but it's detrimental to me trying to loose weight ja ja ja. I'm going to time myself when I walk down to El Conde later today. I walked down to playa Gubia early today.

Status
Not open for further replies.