Is nothing safe in the hands of a dominican??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Brand new watch. Five months later, "no silve". Cell phone got wet? Lets just chuck in in the garbage. laptop? Oh ,I left it with mis hijios, so I can talk with them online. Please don't put my linen shirts in the washer with my tees- Oh, I put in some cloro, so it'll be ok. Majicjack suddenly stops working. No es mi culpa. The list is endless. I cannot understand how ONE dominicana can f--k up so much s--t. I need a manual... Pleeease. Can't return her to the original owner, cause I got five hair-pulling years invested.
Roll

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I cannot understand how ONE dominicana can f--k up so much s--t. I need a manual... Pleeease. Can't return her to the original owner, cause I got five hair-pulling years invested.

return not possible? how about you chuck her out and get a newer model? works for many dr1ers here. granted, new models will also have flaws and some parts like hair and nails need to be changed and upgraded frequently but it is your best bet. there is no manual nor guarantee but the thing with new products is that they are not made to last. after you wear them out you can simply get a new one!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
There are two ways:

1. Try patiently explaining and practice together... reward correct behavior, 'punish' wrong behavior only as a last resort..

2. The person in question doesn't care ... then forget about 1, keep all things under lock and key and only spend minimal on lowest quality stuff

For me, approach number 1 worked fine

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
There are two ways:

1. Try patiently explaining and practice together... reward correct behavior, 'punish' wrong behavior only as a last resort..

2. The person in question doesn't care ... then forget about 1, keep all things under lock and key and only spend minimal on lowest quality stuff

#1 works for trainning dogs also. ;)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
#1 works for trainning dogs also. ;)

And children

The thing is that a lot of the instruction we have gotten in the course of our youth was just never given to a lot of Dominican people - there was no 'take care not to scratch your watch' or a good example or instructions about maintenance... it;s just not part of the curriculum..

When they are grown up they might become ashamed if you treat them too harshly and withdraw..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and. i do not like making a big deal about scratched watch. wtf? this a daily use item. bound to take damage. and if it bothers you to scratch expensive fancy watch then you cannot really afford it.

i wear my watches with the face on the inside of the wrist. my old casio has more cuts and dumps that a carro publico. newer nooka took some damage too. i do not care. those are made to be used, not admired.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE and I have discussed this phenomena several times. Every time we return there are things broken that simply shouldn't be. No answer, he is as annoyed about it as the OP. We keep things for years, sometimes decades. Nothing in DR lasts more than a year for some reason. And that's if you're lucky.

Some things I figured out. His mom loved our electric coffee grinder, said the coffee from beans was so much better. So when we left, we gave it to her, and just bought a new one for ourselves next trip. We get to her house, and the grinder 'no sirve'. Mr. AE examines it, tries to see what the problem is, gives up. I pick it up, look inside and smile to myself. It is spotless, which is impossible. I ask mama if she washed it. But of course! Only a Dominican would wash an electrical appliance. [RIP Mama]

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
There are two ways:

I'm guessing it's #2 in this case. People can choose to be ignorant when it suits them. Someone who believes the loss doesn't impact them and you will just buy another one isn't going to pay as much attention and care to the item. Not all people behave that way, but a lot do and it happens everywhere.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You need to have a different girlfriend for each day of the week...............
Just take handfuls of vitamins...........
And learn how to juggle different phone numbers..........
Not easy, but worth the effort.............
AND.....DON'T GET THEIR NAMES MIXED UP..........

B in Santiago

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I had a maid who adored the chloro.. and swore that she was not responsible for the stains on my clothes.. til one day she ruined a brand new blouse that I had ordered for a christmas present. I was expensive. It was gorgeous. I had tears in my eyes.

I sat her down.

I told her how hard it was to find good cotton clothes here and how important they were to me.

I explained that the blouse cost me $80 and that it was my only Christmas present.

I told her that only chloro could have made the stain.

I explained that stain was on the front and the blouse was ruined.

I told her that I was going to make her pay for half of it but that I would take it out of her salary over the next four months,.. which I did.

Three months later, she burned another blouse while ironing it and she went down to the Conde and found me two cotton blouses in my size and style and bought them with her own money. I do not know how she did it.. I can never find them They each cost $1000 pesos as that tags were still on them.

So perhaps you might try some sort of educational program with the hairdressing money?

She did not buy the stuff so she does not know the value of it to you.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
The only way to keep things from broken every month just to have them purchase it from you. In factory things gets broken all the time. I got so sick of this so I gave my old tablet to one of the worker so he can use it as the barcode scanner in work and personal use outside. Of course I haven't seen even a shot of a bottle of Jose Cuevo he promised but I am happy that it's lasting way longer then 4-5 barcode scanners that we went through last year.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Fish

sounds like a takeoff from George Forman. just name the kids on name his are Georgina, and George 1, 2,3

Dec 26, 2011
And children

The thing is that a lot of the instruction we have gotten in the course of our youth was just never given to a lot of Dominican people - there was no 'take care not to scratch your watch' or a good example or instructions about maintenance... it;s just not part of the curriculum..

When they are grown up they might become ashamed if you treat them too harshly and withdraw..

Very true.

My ex-wife never had anything growing up. Oldest of eight from the campo. She learned how to survive but there simply wasn't time, interest or ability to teach her and her siblings many important life lessons. They worked to pay for their own uniforms and school supplies. In adolescence, as is common practice, she moved from "La Loma" to Bayaguana with an aunt that's a great person with good values. That helped a lot. But the critical building of self-esteem that typically occurs in one's formative years never happened. I'm amazed how well she turned out for having so little encouragement and instruction early in life.

My gf grew up in a home with a drunk abusive father that sent the kids out to work selling produce when he deemed them old enough. There was no affection or stern fatherly advice. Just a drunk that hit a lot when he got lit up.

It's challenging, but with love and understanding, you can make something good together and most importantly, if children are involved, break the cycle of abuse/neglect.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
return not possible? how about you chuck her out and get a newer model? works for many dr1ers here. granted, new models will also have flaws and some parts like hair and nails need to be changed and upgraded frequently but it is your best bet. there is no manual nor guarantee but the thing with new products is that they are not made to last. after you wear them out you can simply get a new one!
Unfortunately, DV, I got papers on this particular dominicana. Attempted to leave a few years back, and she pulled the "suicide" card. Tried, a little discrete criticism, and we know how graciously a dominican responds to that...reckon, I'll just suck it up and hope with time she becomes "americanized". Btw, just made her purchase her own laptop w/ her first paycheck. I'm betting it may last awhile.

Last edited:

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
brand new watch. Five months later, "no silve". Cell phone got wet? Lets just chuck in in the garbage. Laptop? Oh ,i left it with mis hijios, so i can talk with them online. Please don't put my linen shirts in the washer with my tees- oh, i put in some cloro, so it'll be ok. Majicjack suddenly stops working. No es mi culpa. The list is endless. I cannot understand how one dominicana can f--k up so much s--t. I need a manual... Pleeease. Can't return her to the original owner, cause i got five hair-pulling years invested.
Roll

!no! !nothing, not anything!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
And children

Common sense is definitely missing here, it starts young and at home as well school. Some of these good housekeeping habits have definitely been missed, BUT you wont find many children more talented when it comes to balancing while riding on the handle bars of a moto.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
My son taught me that 25 years ago he was 20 and I was 42 and we shared an apartment. He called all his girlfriends My Sweety and explained to me why, that way he never called Sally Edna or Elaine etc..

I call them ALL "baby"...........so much easier........

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Unfortunately, DV, I got papers on this particular dominicana. Attempted to leave a few years back, and she pulled the "suicide" card. Tried, a little discrete criticism, and we know how graciously a dominican responds to that...reckon, I'll just suck it up and hope with time she becomes "americanized". Btw, just made her purchase her own laptop w/ her first paycheck. I'm betting it may last awhile.

how about you take her into the forest and toss her out of the car? would she find her way back home?

Status
Not open for further replies.