Construccion Liviano

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
We're ready to build a second floor on our school in Cienfuegos - and we're looking for cotizaciones from different companies.

An engineer came today and told me he'd do a "construccion liviano" - block walls for the outer walls, but the classroom division could be: 1) wood frame, foam filling with mesh and plaster; 2) wood frame, foam filling (which i'm assuming is similar to fiberglass?) and either sheet rock or plywood. In my layperson mind, this sounds like a good plan as we don't need super strong/super thick divisions between classrooms - and I know that these types of "framed"walls are fairly popular in the states, but I don't know how they would hold up here or what might be some of the problems we might have.

(The roof would be steel beams and alucin).

Suggestions?

Dec 26, 2011
In my professional opinion I agree with the engineer. Not sure if Chip was your man but he's commented on the practicality, speed and cost-effectiveness of these methods vs traditional block construction. I lean towards the mesh and plaster method but drywall is fine. Concerns about mold with drywall are warranted but if your roof is good and you do a water-resistant base like coral/tile/porcelain/marble and use high-quality mold and mildew resistant paint it will serve you well. Avoid wallcoverings in the Dominican climate as these do give mold a great place to thrive and hide.

Good luck with your project and the work you're doing for the children.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
I would go with steel studs instead of wood studs, no insect or warping problem. Plus all sheet rock should be "green" or moisture resistant rock. Plus with steel, there is nothing that can burn!

Dec 26, 2011
I would go with steel studs instead of wood studs, no insect or warping problem. Plus all sheet rock should be "green" or moisture resistant rock. Plus with steel, there is nothing that can burn!

Good thoughts. Specifically, opt for XP drywall. It's even better than the green Mold Tough board sold by USG. I believe there are Gold Bond(National Gypsum Company) dealers in RD. They should be able to help you obtain pricing and availability info. I'm certain there are USG(United States Gypsum) dealers.

Here's a cut from the spec page on XP board:

Gold Bond? BRAND XP? Gypsum Board with Sporgard™* was developed as an improved moisture resistant board, offering the same advantages of a traditional moisture resistant board with added mold resistance in the core and paper. XP Gypsum Board panels consist of a specially treated, fire-resistant, gypsum core encased in a heavy mold/mildew/moisture resistant, 100% recycled, National Gypsum's original PURPLE? paper on the face side and a heavy, mold/mildew/moisture resistant, 100% recycled, gray paper on the back side.
XP Gypsum Board was designed to provide extra protection against mold and mildew compared to standard gypsum board products.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
There is also "Wonder board" which is just sheet rock sized pieces of concrete. (they also make smaller sheets) Very good to use in bath and shower enclosures but a little pricey to use everywhere .

Dec 26, 2011
There is also "Wonder board" which is just sheet rock sized pieces of concrete. (they also make smaller sheets) Very good to use in bath and shower enclosures but a little pricey to use everywhere .

That's generally used as a substrate for tile installation.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
For interior non structural partitions that are economical, there are a couple of alternatives.

1. Paneles aligerados. These are a lightweight European system that has a foam center with welded wire fabric on both sides that concrete plaster is added on the exterior. Minimal structural frames are normally needed because this system is structural.

2. Sheetrock or other type of panel such as Plyrock. This is the cheapest of all alternatives.The disadvantages are if the sheetrock is consistently dampened it can lead to mold. This can be mitigated by creating baseboard molding that is higher than standard and using a paint that is water resistant. Obviously the most important thing would be to ensure anyone who is cleaning the building knows cleaning the walls with a hose is a no-no.

Regarding using steel or wood structure, if one doesn't plan to have the ground treated and check ups at least once a year for termites it's best to go with the steel.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
That's generally used as a substrate for tile installation.
Other similar Hardybacker and Durock (by USG). Primarily for floor tile, but also for any wet area walls. We used for ALL walls in bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen in US building custom home. Cheap "insurance" against water damage.

Depending on cost, would be a prudent decision to use rather than gypsum of any kind.....but that cost thing here might be a showstopper.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
What finish did the Hardibacker receive?
most walls were tiled or unfinished ( behind cabinets), but did use some old fashioned plastering too. Plaster had made a comeback in the US at that time. Nice because color is throughout the plaster. Plastered the garage too, now that i think about it, but don't think we used Durock......went to fire-rated greenboard of some kind. Greenboard is good enough for a dry climate, but the DR? With no air conditioning? I am not building, but I would do lots of research before I used gypsum here.

Dec 26, 2011
most walls were tiled or unfinished ( behind cabinets), but did use some old fashioned plastering too. Plaster had made a comeback in the US at that time. Nice because color is throughout the plaster. Plastered the garage too, now that i think about it, but don't think we used Durock......went to fire-rated greenboard of some kind. Greenboard is good enough for a dry climate, but the DR? With no air conditioning? I am not building, but I would do lots of research before I used gypsum here.

Very interesting. I'm a plasterer. Love to hear of people keeping it alive. It sounds like you simply used plaster board(it's bluish-gray) with a veneer system in the garage. You can also do the veneer over Durock. Very impressed. :)

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
thanks guys. we're in a tough spot because the guy who talked ot me about the lightweight construction quoted me at "3 millones y pico largo" when the others ready to build with regular cinder blocks are wanting around 1.9. still looking, but now I've got some good info