Beer prices and change.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
So I've been sober for quite a while now, a small presidente was between RD50 and at most RD65 last I bought one. So I made a decision to start drinking occasionally, and have found beer price has gone through the roof. Steve's bar last night, RD120 for a small presidente, is Steve's bar super expensive or is this now the norm out of the city, I'm pretty sure city bars can't be charging that much. I remember it when there weren't more hoes than clients in there and it was a few pesos higher then elsewhere but not this much. But then I also remember when bavaro didn't resemble Sosua in hoe numbers, how fast things change when you've been away from things for a while. I never thought I'd see the day I would walk through bavaro and have girls grabbing at my arms and grabbing my balls, not sure i like that, seems to have lowered its standards a tad! Every moto stopping me to offer coke, smoke and hoes, how I remember Sosua years ago, it's all on the change by the looks of things.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
So I've been sober for quite a while now, a small presidente was between RD50 and at most RD65 last I bought one. So I made a decision to start drinking occasionally, and have found beer price has gone through the roof. Steve's bar last night, RD120 for a small presidente, is Steve's bar super expensive or is this now the norm out of the city, I'm pretty sure city bars can't be charging that much. I remember it when there weren't more hoes than clients in there and it was a few pesos higher then elsewhere but not this much. But then I also remember when bavaro didn't resemble Sosua in hoe numbers, how fast things change when you've been away from things for a while. I never thought I'd see the day I would walk through bavaro and have girls grabbing at my arms and grabbing my balls, not sure i like that, seems to have lowered its standards a tad! Every moto stopping me to offer coke, smoke and hoes, how I remember Sosua years ago, it's all on the change by the looks of things.
Yes its like that at Steve's bar, and the owners have cleaned it up! Those girls are aggressive .They have rules about hanging out there and having to buy a drink.

gags7777

Feb 26, 2010
Pretty easy explanation, Presidente beer is now the most expensive local beer in the world, and we are in a 3rd world Country. Bramah bought Presidente and within 2 or 3 months increased the Price of Presidente and Bramah 15 to 20 %. So the Dominican can pay for their purchase. I boicot all their product from now on. Hey they bought Budweiser in the USA and are now fighting accusation of watering down the beer. So look at the grocery store and you will probably find better Price on beer then Presidente, most of the time Miller Genuine Draft is cheaper even if they have big import tax on it. You can also find Presidente beer in MIami for 30 pesos. Ridiculous

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A small president cost me 136 pesos at Ocean World, a Jumbo coat me 110 pesos at the Colmado up the street, but at Nelsons a place where my mother in law has shopped for 30 years it's only 80 for a Jumbo. I prefer Bohemia.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Wow, when was this? Or I should ask where? Yea, some places are charging a little too much for beer. But grabbing balls, offering coke ???? Has my balls grabbed once in 30+ years. Been offered dope: never. One of us is in the wrong Sosua. ;)

Wow, when was this? Or I should ask where? Yea, some places are charging a little too much for beer. But grabbing balls, offering coke ???? Has my balls grabbed once in 30+ years. Been offered dope: never. One of us is in the wrong Sosua. ;)

You've never been offered dope once in your life? Seriously?
I've only lived here for 4 months and go to Sosua twice a week and have been offered dope a lot.
Never been there at night and I don't go to the bars....

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011

I know your either joking, in a haitian ball vice or high, living in Sosua as long as you have and being surprised by these goings on:rolleyes:..............yeh right!

Anyway, I was in Bavaro. Steve's bar is actually excellent, the music is probably the best I've come across anywhere here in all my time. The girls are nice and the volume of the place is where you can have a conversation without screaming at each other. My only issue was beer prices, initially.

no my post was more so about the streets now, it is resembling how I remember Sosua years ago, pretty much every girl out is a whore and every concho a dealer, I don't remember bavaro ever being as polluted as that.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The downside to stopping drinking. If you had stayed in the game the change would have been subtle and you could have avoided sticker shock. As far as the girls, if we saw some pictures, we could comment in a more intelligent fashion. I cannot remember ever being grabbed by a chick in Sosua. Approached, smiles, hello my fren, massage, hello big gringo, hola gringito, want a date, got a girlfriend, are you American, German, even asked me if I was a Canadian one time but never grabbed. The comments are fun, being touched is no fun. And never offered me any dope. In the US people tell me I look like a cop, maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe its time to change over to rum!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
quisqueya all the way for me. cheap and cheerful. not that i drink it much mind you, but i use it for making bread and pizza dough. and damn! no one grabbed my ass in sosua and i've been visiting the place for 7 years now. what am i doing wrong?!

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
I agree with dv8, Quisqueya is the best beer made in the DR and you can get it for 25 pesos

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
havent had a beer in three months now........staying on the Anejo...........

went to sosua on tuesday, got felt up twice in the street, both times by young Haitian girls.......just after the torrential downpour in the afternoon.

At least on the Rum I can remember it!!

dave

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
PRESIDENTE LIGHT SCAM - Cerverceria Nacional switched distribution of its traditional brand to a Light version several years back. They are sold at the same price as the traditional one even though they have less alcohol and taste like water. They are paying less tax which is based on alcohol content cashing in on margin scamming out the end users. Clever marketing on their part but they might have fooled the masses but not me.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Quisqueya gives me the hangover from hell :/

Bohemia for me all the time ..... or Columbus rum at home.

The wife gives the girls the look so my asss is safe ... tight as a turtle's sphincter tho girls ;)

Anyway I don't like the smell of fish & they can pretty much guess I'm spoken for since I have all my own hair & don't need a mirror to see the crown jewels ;)

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
havent had a beer in three months now........staying on the Anejo...........

went to sosua on tuesday, got felt up twice in the street, both times by young Haitian girls.......just after the torrential downpour in the afternoon.

At least on the Rum I can remember it!!

dave
OK I've never been grabed by young or old haitians. What am I doing wrong and what exactly is the name of this street?????:D

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
beer is like anything else we consume. its what anyone likes.. there is no best beer...how boring it would be if all beer tasted good.