Diamtomite

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Any body know if there is available here in th DR a sedimentary a rock called Diamtomite or in spanish it is "diotomita" it is similar in content as diatomic earth.

would be appreciative for any information to its availability here.

thanks

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Any body know if there is available here in th DR a sedimentary a rock called Diamtomite or in spanish it is "diotomita" it is similar in content as diatomic earth.

thanks

Also known as diatomaceous earth or tierra de diatomeas.

I'm looking for it too. Someone suggested in another thread checking with the people who brew Presidente beer saying it's used in a filtration process of the brewing cycle.

Food grade diatomaceous earth is sold online for but I'd like to find it locally to avoid the shipping charge. On the site linked below a 10 pound bag costs $14. The shipping via Business Mail would probably run around $38 for 10 pounds.

Diatomaceous Earth-Food Grade-The Natural Flea Control Powder

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"DE" is also used in swimming pool filters and is available here for that use. Not sure if that would fit the food grade application.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Because Diatomite is sedimentary a rock it must occur naturally here somewhere on the island.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Maybe, was not aware of the use in swimming pool filter, therefore would be a commercialized version, Lilly expensive, where from and how much?

There must be naturally occurring here somewhere, after all most of Santo Domingo is sitting on top of sedimentary rock, mostly coral/lime though which is not inert, diatoms are.

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
Presidente Beer is filtered using it, so are most all beers made in large quantities. I worked at an Anheiser Busch plant.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Diatamaceous earth is sedimentary, but not a rock. It is the skeletons of ancient creatures all concentrated. While it can occur, it is still relatively rare. It is available by the bag, but not sure you will find any that is not imported. Hope this helps.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Also used as a "Filtering" agent in dry cleaning establishments.
I used to buy it there in the USA.
Actually, my "Dry Cleaner" gave it to me for free!
Don't look for THAT Here!
I didn't see anywhere that "Don Luis" needed "Food Grade", so any of the above sources should be good for him????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
It is generally heat treated at the source company so it actually is clean (food Grade) whenever you buy it.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
windeguy, we do not put phone #'s on threads on DR1. DR1 will and cannot take resposibility for crank phone calls to # published on DR1, so your post is unapproved and only visible to mods.........
Sorry but those are the rules.

you could have deleted just the number, not the entire post!!!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

thanks

I have nothing to contribute to your query but, as an insatiable learner, would you be willing to share what your application would be?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
windeguy, we do not put phone #'s on threads on DR1. DR1 will and cannot take resposibility for crank phone calls to # published on DR1, so your post is unapproved and only visible to mods.........
Sorry but those are the rules.

Pro Pools Caribe formerly American Water Works next to the El Choco restaurant in the main highway has DE.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
The application would be bio media.

but only if found to be affordable/ economical, that's why I was hoping maybe we have it naturally available here in the DR.

otherwise keep looking for alternatives other than I already have available, which are not my preference.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
jabe was asking what my intention of use was for the diatomite which is where we get the "DE" from, anyway a bio media can be any substance, generally we are looking for inert and lots of surface area where biological, hence bio can cling to, more more area more flora so to speak, in these instance one is usually referring to microscopic life such a particular bacteria as such.

DE has some really interesting properties.............

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
jabe was asking what my intention of use was for the diatomite which is where we get the "DE" from, anyway a bio media can be any substance, generally we are looking for inert and lots of surface area where biological, hence bio can cling to, more more area more flora so to speak, in these instance one is usually referring to microscopic life such a particular bacteria as such.

DE has some really interesting properties.............

Go on, , , , please.