Lots of Negatives

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
The posts over the last year or so indicate that many expats are really down on the DR; leaving or just "grinding it out" because of relationships there.
Many of the posters are tired of the power issues. For me that would be #6-7 of the reason to leave. We all know the others.
Any regular posters ready to admit they would leave if they did not have business or close personal ties???

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Now I wouldn't think the light issues are as bad as they once were.. Where I am we have had 24/7 lights. They go out once every 3 weeks or so for an hour.. When I was in the capital we only had 2 hours that theyw ent out, and when in Barahona we also had just gotten on 24/7 as well.. I see the country going in a positive direction. I've been coming here since 91, and If the lights were a problem I would have NEVER moved here cause we all knew BEFORE we got here. With inverters, I wouldn't think it would be an issue for expats..

I am going back to the states this year, but I will be back.. This is where I prefer to live! I love it here. There are things that sometimes make us all angry but over all the life here is much better in my opinion.

Jen

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Any regular posters ready to admit they would leave if they did not have business or close personal ties???

yes. i care less than zero for DR. if my relationship ever kicks the dust i'll be outta here in no time. although admittedly power issue does not irk me as much. most of the negatives make quite hilarious stories i put in my emails to friends. of course living with the things that really, really pi** me off is not quite as funny at times. there are days when i look at this beam in out house and i think it is a great spot for hanging. luckily i never worked out how to make a nice, neat noose you always see in the movies. i have good days too but i do not remember when it last happened...

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Actually, it's a great question.
For better or for worse dr1 is a community and what the OP asks goes to the heart of things.
I lived, worked and loved the D.R. for quite a few years.
I was in it for the long haul.
At some point the things that bugged me about the place began to outweigh the things that I loved.
That's when I knew.
The blush was off the rose.
I left.
Lucky for me, I could.
I know some that would if they could, but they can't.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
That may be a lot of posters but not all.
I have to come to NYC to work and in the last 6 weeks have been here working 2 jobs to get up the money for house, and am now on anti-depressants. Between these 2 jobs I pay my college daughter's expenses, my Midwifery school tuition, maintain room and board here in NYC, maintain my home ( with 3 kids) and 2 full-time workers in DR, and save $6,000-$8,000 US per month for a house.
If I could work in DR and make just $2,000/month I'd dump this place (USA) in a heartbeat.

SHALENA

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Been here for 8 years and wouldn't consider leaving. Life is an adventure and in my opinion, this is a great place to experience and enjoy it.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Actually, it's a great question.
For better or for worse dr1 is a community and what the OP asks goes to the heart of things.
I lived, worked and loved the D.R. for quite a few years.
I was in it for the long haul.
At some point the things that bugged me about the place began to outweigh the things that I loved.
That's when I knew.
The blush was off the rose.
I left.
Lucky for me, I could.
I know some that would if they could, but they can't.

1989 - 2008.
Primarily in the east...(PUJ)
LOL.......
A real live pioneer.:classic:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm proud to say I have done more than 99.9% of the people and businesses in the DR in promoting the Dominican Republic to the world. From DR1 serving millions of people with news and information, printed guides, maps, publications and the millions of $$$ generated over the years by businesses due to DR1. We remain one of the highest recognized brands, active promoters of the DR, but after 15 years I'm done!

Yes, I will still go back on a regular basis, run DR1 with my business partner (Dolores), but the world has other destinations, that can offer me a lot more for my time left on planet earth.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I'm proud to say I have done more than 99.9% of the people and businesses in the DR in promoting the Dominican Republic to the world. From DR1 serving millions of people with news and information, printed guides, maps, publications and the millions of $$$ generated over the years by businesses due to DR1. We remain one of the highest recognized brands, active promoters of the DR, but after 15 years I'm done!

Yes, I will still go back on a regular basis, run DR1 with my business partner (Dolores), but the world has other destinations, that can offer me a lot more for my time left on planet earth.

insightful, coming from Mr. DR1 himself. Robert, if you could elaborate on why you are done

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I live in Santo Domingo more than seven years, but I travel to other places every month, so it's like three weeks in DR and one week in Miami, then three weeks in DR and one week in Colombia, then one month in Panama, one month again in DR, then road trip from Miami to LA, then DR again.... so I never have more than one month between unpacking my bags and packing them again. Anyway, last couple of years I started to notice that get tired of Dominicans in less than three weeks, so I decided to move slowly to Panama and travel to other places from there.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
After 7 years here, I can say that the worst thing here is Dominican police. They are worse than criminals, actually they are criminals in uniform, every year the situation is getting worse in Santo Domingo, and when two PN assholes on a moto stop you, you never know how it will end up.

And the best thing here is the quality of hospitals, doctors, medical services and local medical insurance companies. Really good and not expensive, if compare to other countries.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Here in Cabarete, met multiple expats, all loving it, and would never go back to their "home" country.
Long-term expats (15-20 years), impressive to hear.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If friends and family in Europe wouldn't be advertising how bad things are going there, and how difficult employment is right now, we would be packing our things. DR doesn't feel like home to me and never will. But then, my wife is Dominican and I would want to have her full support to go back to live in Europe.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
The other .1% must be Pichardo, I always wondered does he even live in the DR. Wish he would chime in this thread.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If we're being honest here..... I'd be much happier retiring in Florida or the Carolinas, mostly because of the fear/danger aspect of DR. I sense a change in Mr. AE now that his mother has passed, she was a polarizing woman who held the family together single-handedly.

We'll never live year-round in DR because of our children and grandchildren [probably half year], we are a very close-knit family.

At the same time, I enjoy the tranquility of where we live in DR, and the simpler life - and the luxury of a maid is a BIG plus.