Coffee lovers

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
If you like starbucks coffee,Bravo supermercado on Churchill in SD
Has about all their blends in ground 1lb packages.600 pesos a bag.

Bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
600 pesos????????

:shocked:

I've got better local coffee for almost 1/3 of that!

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Thought the same. Good local coffee for much less. But thanks Bob. I would double check and make sure it is not counterfeit.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I could import it myself 3 pounds at a time for about that price and not have to go out shopping for it. Not that I ever would since I like tea better. And I cannot see a reason for liking Starbucks over DR coffee, but for those of you who do like it that is good news even at 600 pesos a bag. Are you sure those are not 12 oz bags?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
They may be 12 oz as they are larger than SD coffee bag.I have single serve Keurig machines and have imported the kcups of Starbucks as well as dunkin donuts as I like them ,I like SD coffee too,but not strong enough
Bob

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
If they discover coal in the DR let's pool resources to extract it and export it to Newcastle.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
forget santo domingo coffee. we drink monte alto or monte real here and those are much better. i only put my paw on CB's family coffee once so i do do list it here...

it would be quite interesting to try other coffees, i have not had non-dominican coffee for years. so against all reason i am going to bring few packets from the UK: maybe some african blends. a quick search on tesco page reveals that a pack of decent coffee costs 2.99 per half a pound pack (the same price is listed for few starbucks blends). 6 british pounds per pound is still what, below 380 pesos?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We switched to Monte Alto this trip, excellent coffee. We brought back about 25 pounds of beans both regular and organico.

I did also try the Cafe Santo Domingo "Espresso Roast", which we also liked a lot, but it's harder to find than regular Cafe Santo Domingo [and we only use that in DR because we've never found it in beans/grano].

Greenlantern

Jan 26, 2013
The owners of the Santo Domingo brand are known for buying the lowest quality beans from smallholders after the good part of the harvest is sold for export. They also recently brought in Vietnamese product to boost quality. Talk about selling refrigerators to newcastle! I mean coal to eskimos...wait ...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I bought a "Re Usable" "K Cup".
That way, you can use any ground coffee.
The "Olivo Family Blend" that "CB" has access to is 1/3 the price of that "Starbucks" you saw.
I ONLY drink THAT!
Get Some!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"GREEN", I must disagree with you.
Both about Cafe SD, and "Improving" same with Vietnamese coffee.
They grow "Robusto" beans in Vietnam,which would make DR coffee worse!

Aug 6, 2006
Here in Miami, 2 10 oz. vacuum bricks of Cafe Llave, Bustelo or Pilon, are often on sale for $5.00. All are good espresso in my opinion. I use a French press.

Ecuador has great coffee, but the local restaurants serve only hot water (not all that hot at 12,000 ft. altitude) and as bottle of Nescaf? Instantaneo (Noescaf?).

Ugh.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Zavier"
I was using the "French Press" my whole adult life!
Then I found out it's a coffee maker!
I bought one, it IS a good method for making coffee,.................................TOO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I used to say my taste was all in my mouth. Now I'm not so sure. I've been drinking Cafe Santo Domingo almost exclusively for over a dozen years now. I bring several pounds back to the U.S. on every trip and gift some of it to family and friends. They think they're getting an exotic gift but in reality I bring it back 'cause I go through a lot of coffee and at my rate of consumption it is far cheaper to bring back Santo Domingo than to by store brand here locally. On my last trip to La Sirena in Sto.Dgo. there was quite a selection of Monte Alto coffees right next to the far larger display of Santo Domingo coffee. After recalling threads here on where to find good coffee I picked up several bags. (large, small, regular, organic, whole bean, etc). I had my housekeeper switch to the Monte Alto for the remainder of of my stay and was well pleased with it.
Well, I just got home (near Boston) and decided to do a side by side blind taste test with freshly opened bags of ground Monte Alto and Santo Domingo. I brewed two identical sized cups in the same coffee maker with identical amounts of milk and sugar. I did detect a very very small difference between the two. I thought one was just the tinyist bit more mellow than the other. Thats the one I picked as being the Monte Alto....... WRONG! Turns out I prefered the Cafe Santo Domingo over the Monte Alto. Since the Santo Domingo was around $RD180/lb and the Monte Alto was around $RD270/lb I guess I'll stick to Cafe Santo Domingo. Cheaper than retraining my taste buds!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Try the same "Blind Test" with the "Olivo Family Blend"!
You can probably "Smell The Difference", not just taste it!
If I can't get more from "Cobra Boy" when my 10 bags run out, Very SOON,I will be VERY UNHAPPY!
When I am in the USA, and can't get Dominican Coffee, I don't drink coffee!
Tastes like warm water.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC and the HBBBBBBBBBBBBB are in agreement on this highly technical subject.....

HB

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Actually, the best coffee I've ever tasted is in Ocoa. We stay with a family there during the festival (Alta Garcia?) and the matriarch of the family scoops beans out of a big sack back in the cooking area and grinds them up for each fresh pot.
I live about a dozen blocks north of the colonial zone in SD. The delima I face is that the small stores around me only sell the Santo Domingo no doubt due to price and space constraints. The big supermarkets have a larger selection but don't cater to the "conisuer". Since I don't wield the clout of a DR1 moderator, I'm not likely to make the aquaintance of an "Olivo". Are there any dedicated coffee stores in the vicinity of the Conde where I might pick some up? I know...............silly question.